Post a reply

Selby and Ronnie have won 8/11 World Championships

Postby Acé

i saw this stat on Eurosport twitter and it's interesting to note in the last 11 years from 2012, they have split the world championships 4-4 each and are the only ones to have won it multiple (understatement) times in that period

2012 - Ronnie
2013 - Ronnie
2014 - Selby
2015 - Bingham
2016 - Selby
2017 - Selby
2018 - Williams
2019 - Trump

2020 - Ronnie
2021 - Selby
2022 - Ronnie

lots of people thought 2019 was the "official" changing of the guard but it seems like we've gone back to the usual

why have other top players generally failed to knock them off their perch?

Re: Selby and Ronnie have won 8/11 World Championships

Postby TheRocket

The problem is that 2 of the Big4 have problems at the Crucible. For clarification. Big4 = Ronnie,Selby,Trump,Robertson

Robertson has way more problems than Judd obviously but neither of them really excel at the Crucible like they do in the other tournaments. Robertson has won as much or even done better in the non-WC events than Selby but yet he isnt even half the player Selby is at the Crucible. Judd has already won more ranking tournaments than Selby but is way behind in the TC events including the Worlds.

Postby Juddernaut88

Ace do you believe Judd can win another 2 or 3 world titles? I feel he needs to end his career at the very least with a minimum of 3 world titles, anything less would be a huge disappointment. Anything more would of course be a bonus.

Postby Iranu

To be fair to Judd he’s reached two finals in four years, winning one of them. So I don’t think he really has a Crucible problem anymore - especially after this year which, stupid as it sounds, I think will help him far more going forward than 2019.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

This overlaps with the 6/7 wins for O'Sullivan and Higgins between 07-13. O'Sullivan and Selby have only met three times at the Crucible and twice in the last decade. What it shows is that the early rounds can be unpredictable and difficult for the top players to get through. But once you reach the one table stage the best player left will usually win. It's why there's such a sense of inevitability about the final stages a lot of the time.

Postby SnookerArcher

Acé"

lots of people thought 2019 was the "official" changing of the guard but it seems like we've gone back to the usual

why have other top players generally failed to knock them off their perch?[/quote]

Ken Doherty said it will be Trump's era, it's great he said that now as so far for the crucible that's proven to be wrong. I suspect at least partly that was impetus for Ronnie to end his world title drought as he always does, when people think he's finished he reminds us all there's still a lot of horsepower left in the rocket's engines!

Interesting yes, Ronnie has the best record from Hearn's era to present day as he made 5 finals vs Selby's 4, due to Hearn bloating the prize money for the crucible Selby made more money in his back to back years than Ronnie despite him nearly threepeating, isn't fair... 1/4 million for 2012-13 for the winner and half that for runner up in 2014 so Ronnie made £600k in being the closest to threepeat or better since Hendry's run of 5 WTs. Selby's 2018 defence was pathetic in bowing out 10-4 to Joe Perry (No offence to Perry who is a competent player albeit a rare winner) but he netted at least £700k for a 10win streak vs Ronnie's 14. All about timing....

[quote="Johnny Bravo wrote:
I hope the grinder doesn't win any more, he's got way too many as it is. He is the perfect definition of an overachiever.

Agree, his playstyle seems to be very good for long formats though, send him back to the 1970s and further where they played best of 71 or w/e lol with scrappy snooker, he'd fit right in! Problem with Robbo and Trump is their style isn't as solid all round, long format snooker favours all rounders for sure, yes I know Hendry had a limited safety game but he was that dominant with his A game, once it left him his lack of depth as a player was EXPOSED. My take with these triple crownies who haven't become multiple world champions (Ok we'll spare Judd as he's young & still evolving, against such tough opposition), the class of 98/99 other than Selby so Robbo and Murphy, who are 40 are about to be, they are the best longpotters the game's seen perhaps which is great for shorter matches but they do not have the all round game or cueball control, which is more valuable for longer matches. Judd's strange cue action hinders his consistency, which may explain why he's had a rather cold crucible career despite dominating the non TC tournaments winning 14 in 3seasons. No disrespect to the Northern Ireland open, Turkish Masters etc but these are low profile tournaments with much smaller prize money so the pressure is certainly not as intense so his resolve and cue action isn't as tested vs a TC.

Robbo is probably more psychological, people had a go at Ronnie's 2015-19 cold spell but Robbo's been worse by some way when we forget 2010 and 14, to me he definitely is better than Selby at his best but he hasn't got the grit, he second guesses himself too easily when he's not playing well and plays too slowly then, messing up his rhythm, he's much like Ronnie but a worse all round game, would be interesting to compare the winners with their playstyle, e.g. longpotters how often they win, I think players very dependent on that such as Murphy, Robbo & Trump don't do fare as well as the more all round types such as Higgins, Selby and Ronnie. Having said that Ronnie's world titles came mostly in intervals, usually at leap years suggesting it's due to his nature as an erratic player, less consistent than Higgins or Davis & Hendry.

Ronnie's 2nd title came 3yrs after his 1st, titles 3&4 separated by 4yrs from the previous. After Dr. Steve Peters came he found better consistency (If we ignore 2015-19!), 3 finals in a row and now he won 2 WT's in 3 yrs. And no he hasn't been at his brilliant best for either most recent titles but his B game, focus and determination is so much stronger. His odd cue action rant after beating Selby in that epic finale of the SF 2020 he said that's why he's struggled with the longer matches recent years, while he clearly is too hard on himself, you can't win tournaments with lousy cue action, maybe he is right in that it finds you out the longer the match.

Juddernaut88 wrote:Ace do you believe Judd can win another 2 or 3 world titles? I feel he needs to end his career at the very least with a minimum of 3 world titles, anything less would be a huge disappointment. Anything more would of course be a bonus.

If the younger players are as bad as Ronnie says I can see Judd being a multi world champ, let's see how good the younger chinese players are as they're likely to be the best younger players when Trump's a veteran.

I'm surprised he's not done better at the masters as that's the event with the most glamour & a huge crowd, perfectly suited to him as he's such an entertainer & it's 1 table throughout. He has the game and determination and he practises hard. Iranu is right Judd played well not playing well lol in the final vs Ronnie, he could easily have been another 18-8 if not for his safety and a strong 3rd session. His safety was actually better than Ronnie's wasn't it? But that's life it's a hard game, you can't just decide to be your best in a final, other than Ronnie at least.

Postby SnookerArcher

Oh just for more Rocket fuelling and Selby slamming hehe, while both are tied in world titles since Hearn's era to 2022 in terms of the other triple crowns Selby has won very few off the top of my head, since become world champ a high standard 2016 UK title where he outplayed Ronnie but that's it. I know he won 2/3 in the 2012-13 season? Anyhow my point stands he's not been that dominant outside of the Crucible, making Ronnie's achievements more impressive, albeit Ronnie didn't win more than 1 TC a season in this era so thus far Ronnie hasn't had short term dominance. (Selby having 2 seasons of winning 2/3 of the triple crown and oh of course Judd winning the Masters and World in 2019 which is more impressive), makes Willo more impressive in his prime being the only TC set winner of a season other than Davis and Hendry who was an overachiever doing it twice!

So for whatever reason in the recent eras it's rare for any player to hold the World title and the other TCs simultaneously, either they do well 1 one or the other but not both. Ronnie's 3UKs and 2 Masters after being dethroned in 2014 (3Masters if we include the Masters before his only world final defeat) led to a mediocrity crucible spell. Robbo winning 3UKs and 2Masters since 2010 but he only had 1 crucible SF since & a few QF deciders. (Oh looked it up, Higgins also had a 2/3 TC season in Hearn's era but he's not won any since, lots of finals though)

Postby TheRocket

Would you guys actually put Selby ahead of Higgins in the All-Time Great list if he was to win a 5th World title? Or would he need to win more titles? Whether that might be more Worlds or other titles.

He has won 4 Worlds and 9 TC titles exactly like Higgins which already is impressive. We all know that prime Higgins is the superior player but it doesnt show itself in the raw numbers. Mainly because Higgins lost too many finals recently.

Postby Juddernaut88

TheRocket wrote:Would you guys actually put Selby ahead of Higgins in the All-Time Great list if he was to win a 5th World title? Or would he need to win more titles? Whether that might be more Worlds or other titles.

He has won 4 Worlds and 9 TC titles exactly like Higgins which already is impressive. We all know that prime Higgins is the superior player but it doesnt show itself in the raw numbers. Mainly because Higgins lost too many finals recently.

If Selby wins a 5th world title then I would definitely put him ahead of Higgins.

Postby TheRocket

Juddernaut88 wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Would you guys actually put Selby ahead of Higgins in the All-Time Great list if he was to win a 5th World title? Or would he need to win more titles? Whether that might be more Worlds or other titles.

If Selby wins a 5th world title then I would definitely put him ahead of Higgins.

I would agree with that. Whoever wins more World titles will be the greater player between these two.
If they stay even, Higgins will have the edge due to his ranking title tally.

Postby Iranu

No.

Ronnie, Hendry, Davis and Higgins (in that order, in my opinion) are the Big Four as far as history goes - or at least modern professional history. I don’t think one world title automatically overcomes 10 other ranking titles.

If Higgins is the superior player, he’s the superior player.

As things stand, I’m still not fully convinced in putting Selby above Mark Williams.

Postby HappyCamper

Juddernaut88 wrote:

Nah

Postby TheRocket

Iranu wrote:

No.

Ronnie, Hendry, Davis and Higgins (in that order, in my opinion) are the Big Four as far as history goes - or at least modern professional history. I don’t think one world title automatically overcomes 10 other ranking titles.

As things stand, I’m still not fully convinced in putting Selby above Mark Williams.

Ability/standardwise Higgins definitely is part of the Big4 but he lacks in the raw numbers for me. He is behind the other three by some margin and that speaks against him. Have to say although I'm definitely not a Higgins fan I probably wouldnt mind to see him lifting another World title before he retires. It would be fairer reflection of his ability.

Postby Iranu

It’s interesting that people think Selby’s “grinding” style makes him particularly suited to the Crucible. (Assuming that we accept that’s his style.)

If you look at the most successful players, I’m not sure history bears that out:

Ronnie - bombastic, aggressive player who has learned to mix it but doesn’t enjoy it

Hendry - pure aggression

Davis - fantastic safety player but better than his opponents in all departments including breakbuilding (equal 20th on the all-time centuries list - from his era only Jimmy and at a push Parrott join him in the top 50) certainly didn’t build his game around grinding

Higgins - the ultimate all-round player who nevertheless built his game around scoring. Never intentionally ‘grinds’

Williams - pure shotmaker. Best potter the game has seen. Happy to mix it but would score freely if he was a better breakbuilder (see this year’s WC.) always towards the top end of the AST list

Reardon and Spencer are before my time so I can’t comment on them.

But it seems that, if Selby has a “grinding style” that helps him at the Crucible, that makes him anomaly more than anything else.

Postby Iranu

TheRocket wrote:Ability/standardwise Higgins definitely is part of the Big4 but he lacks in the raw numbers for me. He is behind the other three by some margin and that speaks against him. Have to say although I'm definitely not a Higgins fan I probably wouldnt mind to see him lifting another World title before he retires. It would be fairer reflection of his ability.

Yep but that’s compared to the three best players ever.

Given the era he competed in during his prime (as much as I hate those discussions) I don’t think Selby winning an extra WC automatically puts him above Higgins.

In terms of pure numbers, Selby’s lagging way behind in overall titles especially considering how many tournaments there have been during his prime years compared to Higgins’.

Postby LC

I don’t think I could ever see selby ahead of Higgins but if you look at the stats he almost is, also the grinder accusations are a little harsh he’s made over 600 tons, for the record I’m far from a selby fan!

Postby rekoons

Iranu wrote:It’s interesting that people think Selby’s “grinding” style makes him particularly suited to the Crucible. (Assuming that we accept that’s his style.)

If you look at the most successful players, I’m not sure history bears that out:

Ronnie - bombastic, aggressive player who has learned to mix it but doesn’t enjoy it

Hendry - pure aggression

Davis - fantastic safety player but better than his opponents in all departments including breakbuilding (equal 20th on the all-time centuries list - from his era only Jimmy and at a push Parrott join him in the top 50) certainly didn’t build his game around grinding

Higgins - the ultimate all-round player who nevertheless built his game around scoring. Never intentionally ‘grinds’

Williams - pure shotmaker. Best potter the game has seen. Happy to mix it but would score freely if he was a better breakbuilder (see this year’s WC.) always towards the top end of the AST list

But it seems that, if Selby has a “grinding style” that helps him at the Crucible, that makes him anomaly more than anything else.

Nice summary!

I also find the grinder accusations of Selby a bit over the top. yes, he clearly doesn't mind and perhaps even enjoys the safety and tactical side of the game, perhaps more than other players, but I bet he too prefers a good table with the reds in good positions for a frame winning break instead of battling it out.

I'm indifferent on Selby's playing style, can't blame him for being better at it (defensive/tactical game) than most other pro's. just the same as with 'more attacking' players like ronnie or trump... trying to play the game on their terms (more attack/risk less defense/tactics?).

yes I prefer watching a fluent in the zone player making marvelous breaks developing reds with nudges and cannons (Ronnie or whoever) than an ovelry cautious approach running to safety behind baulk colours everytime a difficult positional play is resquired to create chances, but it's their job to win, not to only entertain the audience... so I can understand each plays to their strength.

the clash of styles is interesting, it would be boring if they were all ronnies or selbies.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:It’s interesting that people think Selby’s “grinding” style makes him particularly suited to the Crucible. (Assuming that we accept that’s his style.)

Hendry - pure aggression

I'm not sure about this whole grinding style being the key to Selby's continual winning of The Crucible, if I'm honest.

I think it's more his mental toughness as much as anything. Part of that mental toughness maybe leads to him playing on for endless safeties, even when it looks like that he won't win the frame. So, you could argue it's indirectly linked.

But this idea that he has continued success just because he plays a match-play style is a bit of a misnomer.

Postby Vallomas

Selby was great to watch during the 2017 World Championship. The same happened in his first three matches of 2021. There is no way we can call him a grinder. He loves the tactical battles, but he's one of the greatest breakbuilders ever.

But if he wins a 5th world title (let's say next year) I wouldn't put him ahead of John Higgins. Peak Higgins is definetely a better player. It's quite the same with peak ROS, who was considered better than peak Hendry even when their WC titles score was 5-7.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Selby is a great break builder who often plays an attacking game, but when that's not working he's not afraid to slow the game down and make frames go very scrappy. This is why he often is a grinder, but definitely not always.

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:Selby is a great break builder who often plays an attacking game, but when that's not working he's not afraid to slow the game down and make frames go very scrappy. This is why he often is a grinder, but definitely not always.

:goodpost:

Postby Acé

Juddernaut88 wrote:Ace do you believe Judd can win another 2 or 3 world titles? I feel he needs to end his career at the very least with a minimum of 3 world titles, anything less would be a huge disappointment. Anything more would of course be a bonus.

3-4 is what I expect him to win I don't think his game will translate well into his 40s

he has to cause damage this decade

Postby SnookerArcher

Iranu wrote:

No.

Agree I still have Willo ahead and I think most fans and experts agree, during the 2018 final when Angles etc put together a GOAT list at a cafe they did put Willo just ahead of Selby.

It's hard to debate players who are somewhat different in age with primes not coinciding, Selby's maiden title was a grindfest as well as 2017, 2016 and 21 Ding & Murphy good as they are they aren't the most elite, all of his 1 table matches where he won were close going to at least 14 for the loser. Don't get me wrong still a feat to win 4 but he's yet to do so comfortably.

If talking about players at their best Selby isn't that high up I'd put Robbo even Murphy above him.
Iranu wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Ability/standardwise Higgins definitely is part of the Big4 but he lacks in the raw numbers for me. He is behind the other three by some margin and that speaks against him. Have to say although I'm definitely not a Higgins fan I probably wouldnt mind to see him lifting another World title before he retires. It would be fairer reflection of his ability.

Yep but that’s compared to the three best players ever.

Given the era he competed in during his prime (as much as I hate those discussions) I don’t think Selby winning an extra WC automatically puts him above Higgins.

In terms of pure numbers, Selby’s lagging way behind in overall titles especially considering how many tournaments there have been during his prime years compared to Higgins’.

Yes Selby has played almost as many matches and tournaments as Ronnie already despite their 7.5yrs age gap. He has far less to show for it too in every department, fool's errand to elevate him as a peer to the class of 92, he'd have won little if he was part of that class, all his world title success came when that fabled class reached late 30s to past 40, I know people think they're getting better with age but I think it's debatable, 1 hand they perhaps are better at the matchplay with experience but otherhand their concentration dips more with age, more easy balls missed and stamina becomes more a problem, yes not for Ronnie but he's the exception though he certainly makes more silly misses with age.
Selby's torturous play will be harder to maintain with age & Yan beating him in their 85m tussle maybe a bad omen for him if he continues to play this way.

Yes when playing well he scores very well, he has had some session to spares in the crucible to reflect that. If that was much more of his game than the 1hr+ frames he'd have less critics, less wins? Maybe. Opposite of him is Alex Higgins and Jimmy White, had they been more of matchplayers they'd have won more.

rekoons wrote:
the clash of styles is interesting, it would be boring if they were all ronnies or selbies.

I agree emphatically with the 2nd part I'd watch golf over snooker if everyone was Selbore and his 2hr frames! Impossible for the entire WST to be all Ronnies! They would have to revise the entire game, make it a 120x60ft table! That would be damn amazing though if everyone were exciting, flamboyant people's champion players and I much prefer games to be quick so frames under 20m usually, okay the odd frames that go into long safety battles, black respots are so dramatic, I do like safety battles when done well (So NOT Ebdon/Selby pace but like Ronnie who is quick and tries to play positive safeties to keep the game going rather than containing play that is Selby's trademark)

I'm not a Higgins fan but compared to Selby I would say Higgins is better to watch, yes he's also very tactical but he is more attacking and positive than Selby, so I've decided at last of my 2 least liked players I put Higgins over Selby. So if they ever play each other again I'd root for Higgins.

As for Higgins winning 5 WCs, I liked Ronnie having 5 as no one ended on 5 so he was unique. I know too Higgins would love his 5th title far more than Ronnie did, making his to date last final narrowly beating David Gilbert (Who was robbed by a kick) he was in tears, when Ronnie made his first final since 2014 in that most exciting comeback vs Selby he was banging on about his cue action :| , I thought he'd be a bit less blase about it, Selby's disrespectful comment and Ronnie's cue action rant did dampen one of the most exciting finales to a match ever seen for sure lol. (And wow what a shame it had no crowd to see it, both SFs of 2020)

I'd want Willo to win at least as many as Selby, heck he needs to win 1 more UK or Masters at least tie Selby for TCs. Higgins is arguably below Selby in TCs sorry to say as Masters as regarded as the greatest win after WCs. (Says a lot about Selby's ability, there's only Ronnie and Hendry who have been Masters champions more than 3x, arguably the toughest tournament to win though it's only 4 matches)

The class of 99 is very far from 92 in their silverware, Robbo and Murphy should be multi world champions.
As for Ronnie being far more successful than his peers I'd say it's more he's retained and some ways improved on his prime, mentally definitely and matchplay. Higgins and Willo definitely haven't kept up with him, back in their youth they were comparable in wins, Ronnie may have been the last to complete the triple crown but he kept winning more as did Higgins, Willo dropped behind. From 2011 though Higgins has not won a TC despite 3 world finals and a Masters final, Willo won the 2018 WC and narrowly missed out on this year's final robbing us of Ronnie vs Willo at the Crucible final but otherwise hasn't been a big factor in TCs, Ronnie has won a TC every year from 2012-20 & if not for 2020-21 which was a half baked season for him he'd have an 11season streak of TCs! So his lean years crucible wise from 2015-19 Higgins made 3 finals, Willo won 1 but otherwise they've not performed vs him in the majors.
He was on 11 TCs when John won his last so was comparable 11yrs ago but I put it down more to him being more consistent thanks to Steve Peters and aging better physically and mentally rather than he's reached some next level in snooker Willo and Higgins haven't, at their best they're similar and any one of them would have had Hendry like dominance if the other 2 didn't exist.

Postby Wildey

Johnny Bravo wrote:I hope the grinder doesn't win any more, he's got way too many as it is. He is the perfect definition of an overachiever.

Cluless hammer You get out what you put in

Postby Wildey

LC wrote:I don’t think I could ever see selby ahead of Higgins but if you look at the stats he almost is, also the grinder accusations are a little harsh he’s made over 600 tons, for the record I’m far from a selby fan!

Hes made over 700 he will more than likely go past Hendry this season.

He has over 130 more than the next best which is Ding Junhui

Postby SnookerEd25

Wildey wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:I hope the grinder doesn't win any more, he's got way too many as it is. He is the perfect definition of an overachiever.

The fact Johnny describes Dott as a grinder shows he knows little about snooker. :hmmm:

Postby Wildey

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Wildey wrote:

The fact Johnny describes Dott as a grinder shows he knows little about snooker. :hmmm:

Johnny by name cockerel by nature