Post a reply

Re: Alex Higgins overrated

Postby Pink Ball

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Dragonfly wrote:I have been an avid snooker watcher for almost 4 decades. Now I will probably get roasted for this, but someone has to say it. Alex Higgins was overrated. True, winning world title in 72 at very young age was a fine achievement. But you can hardly say he had a glittering career after that. He was a gritty competitor, good tactician and wasn't short of bottle. But overall his results are poor. You could say he would have won more only for Davis. So would White, Thorburn and Griffiths. Too often he just wasn't good enough and while capable of some good results on his day, was just as capable of losing to anyone (bob chaperon). I know he was edgy and made for exciting viewing at times, but I just don't think he is up there with the all time greats. Ultimately he just didn't win enough

Greatness is the result of adding 3 major factors: achievements+peak form+ impact on the sport.

1. His achievements are pretty good. After all, the man was a 2 time world champion. Plus he also won the Uk and the Masters and played a few more finals of these 3 majors.

2. His peak form is weak by modern standards, but more than good enough for his era, and that's what he should be judged upon.

3. His impact on the sport is probably greater than any other player in history. He put snooker on the map, he took it out of the shady pubs to the TV audiences and large masses. For that alone, he is a top 10 player.

Excellent post.

I don't agree that impact on a sport counts towards greatness, even though I agree that Higgins did probably have a greater impact on the sport than any player before or since.

Even if that doesn't count towards greatness, though, Higgins is top 10 of all time for me. He won 24 titles and played in 60 finals at a time when there weren't all that many titles to go at.

Postby gallantrabbit

Overrated probably a bit strong. Most people know he wasn't a winning machine, but loved to react to danger and was as famous for his comebacks as his titles.
He relied heavily on death or glory pots as his position was not what you would call precise.
But he got me firmly into snooker and my favorite memory is of him coming back from 1-5 down to beat Thorburn in the 81 Masters. Go find it on YT especially the ninth frame where he played some beautiful canons to dislodge balls on his way to a classic dish.
Off the table to speak of him as a people's champion was also a bit much. Horrible fellow. I met home twice and he didn't improve the second time...
Very important figure in bringing new watchers and players into snooker though.

Postby Dragonfly

That was an interesting first debate and thanks to everyone for your comments and opinions.

My favourite players have been O'Sullivan and Williams. I think Ronnie at his best just elevated a sport into a form of art. Something so beautiful and timeless. I'd compare watching him to listening to the best work of Lennon and McCartney. I love the casual style of Williams. How he gently strokes the balls into the pockets and how beneath the calm exterior is a rock solid competitor.

Overall though I just love the sport of snooker. I don't play much these days but I still find it fascinating. Actually really enjoyed Maguires win recently.

Postby HustleKing

Bit of a shame you don't dislike/hate/are indifferent about Ronnie.

We could do with some more people in our camp ;-)