Post a reply

Re: Ages of some players

Postby badtemperedcyril

I should be able to find the DOB’s for the great amateurs... The guys who would’ve been leading professionals had there been a professional game to play in. Winning the English Amateur was as big as it got in the mid to late 50’s though to 68.

I’m looking for Geoffrey Thompson, Maurice Parkin, Sid Hood and Chris Ross. Ronnie Gross you have.

Paul Mifsud (Malta) had a great amateur career and played at the Crucible in 1984. DoB 6th Feb 1946.

Allan McDonald was an Australian who had terminal cancer but fulfilled a life ambition to compete in the World Professional Championship in 1975. He died soon after.

Manuel Francisco (Peter’s father) passed away last year. There was an obituary in Snooker Scene.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

badtemperedcyril wrote:I should be able to find the DOB’s for the great amateurs... The guys who would’ve been leading professionals had there been a professional game to play in. Winning the English Amateur was as big as it got in the mid to late 50’s though to 68.

I’m looking for Geoffrey Thompson, Maurice Parkin, Sid Hood and Chris Ross. Ronnie Gross you have.

Paul Mifsud (Malta) had a great amateur career and played at the Crucible in 1984. DoB 6th Feb 1946.

Allan McDonald was an Australian who had terminal cancer but fulfilled a life ambition to compete in the World Professional Championship in 1975. He died soon after.

Manuel Francisco (Peter’s father) passed away last year. There was an obituary in Snooker Scene.

Manuel was Peter's uncle??

Postby csprince

i have the aug 2020 issue of snookerscene which reports mannie francisco died age 84 no d.o.b given.

Postby chengdufan

csprince wrote:i have the aug 2020 issue of snookerscene which reports mannie francisco died age 84 no d.o.b given.

Thanks CS, these ages at date of death are very useful.
For those whose dob is known within one year, I have been estimating their dob as being halfway through that year. So for example, I have Roger Garrett's estimated dob as 01/07/1966.
While not ideal, it is good enough statistically to help get a more accurate result when calculating the average age of the players in a particular tournament, or the average age of players in a particular group of the rankings. Certainly better than having no date.

Postby badtemperedcyril

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:I should be able to find the DOB’s for the great amateurs... The guys who would’ve been leading professionals had there been a professional game to play in. Winning the English Amateur was as big as it got in the mid to late 50’s though to 68.

Father. Mannie and Silvino were brothers. Silvino is Peter's uncle.

Postby badtemperedcyril

I remember Clive Everton running an article some years ago in Snooker Scene about the "missing generation". It talked about those players I alluded to who missed out on a professional career due to the state of the game when they were in their pomp. It featured all those mentioned - Parkin, Gross, Thompson, Hood etc plus others such as Gary and Marcus Owen, Pat Houlihan, Alan Barnett, John Price, Mario Berni, Jonathan Barron, James Heaton, Norman Buck, George Humphries. The problem is knowing when the article ran! It was maybe fifteen or more years ago.
I will try looking back to The Billiard Player, Billiards & Snooker or Snooker Scene magazine edition from when certain players won the English Amateur - it is quite possible in those days that they included a pen picture of the main protagonists.

Postby acesinc

I saw Canadian Paul Thornley mentioned in the original post! Woo-hoo! ACES Snooker Club's claim to fame! He played on my table way back in the day (1990) when my Canadian table fitter (the late, great Bobby Graham of Toronto) originally set up my table down in my basement before ACES even existed. Paul joined Bobby for a couple days when he made his second visit to Chicago to complete the job. In the handful of frames I was able to play against him (I was AWFUL then, just slightly better than awful now), Paul ran about a 58 against me which stood as the highest break ever made on my table for decades.

Seemed like a great guy, in his early 40's then. I wish I could have gotten to know him better. I was still a kid and we didn't have much time, but it is so nice to see the recognition of his name as a contributor to the culture. He had some stories about Cliff and Kirk.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

badtemperedcyril wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:

Father. Mannie and Silvino were brothers. Silvino is Peter's uncle.

Uncle - Mannie was Peter's uncle

Postby csprince

i have the aug 2020 issue of snooker scene. it states that silvino was mannie's brother and peter is mannie's son so silvino is peter's uncle

Postby chengdufan

csprince wrote:i have the aug 2020 issue of snooker scene. it states that silvino was mannie's brother and peter is mannie's son so silvino is peter's uncle

And Bob's your uncle!

Postby 147155snooker

chengdufan wrote:The remaining players are listed in 'date of match played' order, the ones who played most recently are at the bottom of the list. The ones nearer the top of the list would be the most useful to find into on:

[...]
Ahmed Basheer Al-Khusaibi
Ahmed Ghuloom
Isa Ali Al-Hashmi
[...]

Ahmed Basheer Al-Khusaibi - 28 years old in 2008,

Ahmed Ghuloom - born in 1988,
Isa Ali Al-Hashmi - born in 1970

from this old WS article:
https://web.archive.org/web/20081107114 ... tm?tid=136