Post a reply

Re: HENDRY IS BACK! 2 YEAR TOUR CARD!

Postby Juddernaut88

Stephen Hendry is currently ranked 127th with 0 points, the player ranked 98th is Jamie Clarke and he also has 0 points so Hendry first objective needs to be win a few matches and get in the top 100 and then see where he can go from there.

Postby Andy Sparky

Interesting! I noticed Hendry was oddly silent in commentary when Dennis Taylor mentioned that it wasn’t a young man’s game anymore with Ronnie winning a 6th WC in his mid-40’s.

Rather than respond to the issue Dennis raised, he was probably busy wishing this recent empirical evidence on “age-related decline” had come to light when he was in his early 40’s and contemplating his options. Such is life...he may have made exactly the same retirement decision, but I’m pretty sure he would have loved to have known how possible it still was to win a WC in your 40’s back then.

Postby SnookerFan

Johnny Bravo wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:Just to touch in on the debates above, I think there's a difference by surpassing Hendry's "peak" and being the GOAT. Trump played at incredible standard in the 2019 WC final, but, only by reproducing it over several years will move up the all time Top 10 list.

Of course Trump cannot challenge for GOAT atm. But this shows Hendry acknowledges Ronnie as the GOAT.

Since when did that need showing? Hendry has been bumming Ronnie on commentary for years.

Postby Andy Sparky

Holden Chinaski wrote:Good post, Andy :hatoff:

Thanks. I do also think it very possible that Hendry was poorly advised when in his early 40’s.

Prominent snooker “experts” (who should have known better!) seemed to be mistaking “evidence” for the age-related decline graph with “proof”. These so-called “experts” would then expound their false thesis on any pro snooker player over 35 who was struggling, in the process ignoring any robust statistical analysis that might (and did!) suggest something different.

Postby Acé

Hendry said his first return is going to be the UK championship

so he's gonna miss 4 other ranking events before that

good start lol I mean that's taking the snake hiss out of a 2 year tour card

Postby Wildey

Johnny Bravo wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:Just to touch in on the debates above, I think there's a difference by surpassing Hendry's "peak" and being the GOAT. Trump played at incredible standard in the 2019 WC final, but, only by reproducing it over several years will move up the all time Top 10 list.

Of course Trump cannot challenge for GOAT atm. But this shows Hendry acknowledges Ronnie as the GOAT.

To Hendry, he is the Goat but for Ronnie Hendry is the Goat.

Trump has shown glimpses but only glimpses yea he can play to a high level but at times i find the way he plays negative always looking for safeties with long pots Ronnie and Hendry far more positive about their ability to pot balls.

Postby Wildey

Acé wrote:Hendry said his first return is going to be the UK championship

I'm 99% certain he'll play something before then

Postby D4P

Wildey wrote:
Acé wrote:Hendry said his first return is going to be the UK championship

I'm 99% certain he'll play something before then

He really should, if he's at all serious about playing well in the big events. Best to get the pomp and circumstance out the way (and get used to the big stage again) at a smaller event before the UK...

Postby rekoons

I'm looking forward to see what he can do with his comeback.

I'm busy watching the 1994 WC final on youtube in bits and pieces lately, just to see for myself how good he and Jimmy were back then, and what the standard of play was like.

I'm currently at 12 - 13 to Jimmy :happy: he has been looking very nervous all match long with sweat beads on his face.

The difference in style is striking: Hendry with a robotic, precise, piston like straight cue action, and Jimmy with a more flamboyant flick of the wrist, and movement during strike cue delivery. his cue sways outwards on delivery, just like Judd's going inwards.

Postby Dan-cat

GeF wrote:https://wst.tv/hendry-has-point-to-prove-feeney/

Hendry's coach wrote:My view with Stephen is that we want to get him back into top 16 status with the standard of his play as soon as possible

Are they aware that he needs to play in order to achieve that ???

If he plays as mutch as Mifsud, it will be difficult...

Gef you shouldn't' really edit posts / create quotes like that. It looks like there is a user called Hendry's Coach which is confusing. Thank you.

Top 16.... hmmmmmmmm I have my doubts!!!

Postby rekoons

Oh no, the wheels are coming of with jimmy, keeps missing easy pots and gifting Hendry (who himself isn't playing faultless) more opportunities.

Should've been 12-16, but it's now 15-13! :sad:

Postby Cloud Strife

Dan-cat wrote:

Hendry's coach wrote:My view with Stephen is that we want to get him back into top 16 status with the standard of his play as soon as possible

Gef you shouldn't' really edit posts / create quotes like that. It looks like there is a user called Hendry's Coach which is confusing. Thank you.

Top 16 lol. This coach guy sounds delusional.

Postby Iranu

Dan-cat wrote:

Seems pretty clear to me. It’s a common thing to do on forums when you’re quoting a linked article.

Postby chengdufan

It reads to me that the aim is to get him playing at the same standard as top 16 players, not that he's aiming to get in the top 16

Postby HustleKing

chengdufan wrote:It reads to me that the aim is to get him playing at the same standard as top 16 players, not that he's aiming to get in the top 16

But the very thing that sets top 16 players is fairly consistently playing at a high standard.

If Hendry only plays like a top 16 player once every five frames, then his standard will most likely be way off top 16

Postby Dan-cat

Andy Sparky wrote:Interesting! I noticed Hendry was oddly silent in commentary when Dennis Taylor mentioned that it wasn’t a young man’s game anymore with Ronnie winning a 6th WC in his mid-40’s....

Hendry is usually oddly silent when Dennis addresses him about anything!

Postby badtemperedcyril

Dan-cat wrote:
Andy Sparky wrote:Interesting! I noticed Hendry was oddly silent in commentary when Dennis Taylor mentioned that it wasn’t a young man’s game anymore with Ronnie winning a 6th WC in his mid-40’s....

Words are not necessary. You know what he's thinking.

Postby HustleKing

badtemperedcyril wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:

Words are not necessary. You know what he's thinking.

Yeah, "Boy, was I wrong when I thought I can put it up to Ronnie!"

Postby GeF

chengdufan wrote:It reads to me that the aim is to get him playing at the same standard as top 16 players, not that he's aiming to get in the top 16

Ah OK ! He just want to play like Jimmy in practice.

Postby SnookerEd25

That's exactly how I read it, ChengduFan; it's all about the interpretation.

Aren't words great? <ok>

Postby Johnny Bravo

Cloud Strife wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:

Top 16 lol. This coach guy sounds delusional.

He probably is <laugh>

Postby HappyCamper

He struggled to be competitive.on the seniors tour. It's a pretty big leap to think he can be so against the professional top 16 on the basis of one ok tournament.