Post a reply

Re: Top 269 vid final edit complete & uploaded & thanks

Postby badtemperedcyril

The first picture is 1952. This one is 1950 - they were the ten players in that seasons News of the World tournament, although Kennerley, Lee and Barrie only played in the qualifying event.

L to R: Kennerley, Horace Lindrum, Lee, Brown, Barrie, Joe, Pulman, Fred, Donaldson, Sidney Smith.

I'm sure I have better photo's of Kennerley in my library at home.

Postby SnookerEd25

badtemperedcyril wrote:Image

Great pic, Cyril, but I think it is much more contemporary than that :

L to R: Matt Selt, Matthew Stevens, Martin O'Donnell, Jamie Curtis-Barrett, Tom Ford, Stephen Hendry, Judd Trump, Shaun Murphy, Martin Gould, Graeme Dott, Peter Ebdon, Mark King, Robert Milkins

Postby LDS

gninnur karona wrote:Enjoyed watching, especially the old black and white footage.

Thanks. This one is just a sort of rough'ish first draft. I'm hoping to update it again after the 2023 WSC with improved pics for some and maybe tighten up the pacing and length.

The hunt for footage of Walter Donaldson playing at some point in his life is probably a snooker historian's holy grail. So if you ever see something like that, even if it's just trick shots or when he's 60 or whatever, quickly drop it in this thread!

Postby badtemperedcyril

LDS wrote:
gninnur karona wrote:Enjoyed watching, especially the old black and white footage.

Thanks. This one is just a sort of rough'ish first draft. I'm hoping to update it again after the 2023 WSC with improved pics for some and maybe tighten up the pacing and length.

The hunt for footage of Walter Donaldson playing at some point in his life is probably a snooker historian's holy grail. So if you ever see something like that, even if it's just trick shots or when he's 60 or whatever, quickly drop it in this thread!
I doubt there’s any footage of Donaldson out there. Unless the BBC have something in their archives they’re not letting on about. Same with Pat Houlihan - what we’d give to see him in action.

Postby SnookerEd25

Possibly a bit of Donaldson in the Pathé archives?

Not 100% sure but the ‘This England’ documentary (its on YouTube) has got footage from one of the early Crucibles and I think there’s a snippet - just a snippet, mind - of Patsy on that; not playing a shot, unfortunately, just walking round the table.

Seeing proper footage of Patsy is the Holy Grail to me <ok>

Postby badtemperedcyril

SnookerEd25 wrote:Possibly a bit of Donaldson in the Pathé archives?

Not 100% sure but the ‘This England’ documentary (its on YouTube) has got footage from one of the early Crucibles and I think there’s a snippet - just a snippet, mind - of Patsy on that; not playing a shot, unfortunately, just walking round the table.

Seeing proper footage of Patsy is the Holy Grail to me <ok>

Yep I know the documentary you mean. Patsy had a cameo role in the Bob Geldof film “Number One”, in which you see him pot a pink and exchange a few words with Bob. It’s on YouTube.

Postby LDS

The BBC might have quite a lot of archive footage of Pat Houlihan, but then again they might not, it's difficult to tell with them.

For example, they have quite a lot of footage of the 1978 WSC, including first round matches. Their highlights of the tournament programme gives footage from three first round matches and Pat was beaten 13-8 by Cliff Thorburn in the first round that year.

But then maybe they only had cameras in those three first round matches? I'm not sure what their criteria was if that was the case, but first glance would suggest they would have some film of all of them?

Postby mick745

The bbc junked most of its early output, they couldnt even keep copies of some of their most popular programmes such as The Likely Lads, Doctor Who or Morecambe and Wise. They were still junking children's programmes in the 1990s.

To think they might have saved coverage of obscure matches in the world championship from the 1970s is probably fanciful.

But even if the have still got it, how does one get access to it anyway?

Postby LDS

mick745 wrote:The bbc junked most of its early output, they couldnt even keep copies of some of their most popular programmes such as The Likely Lads, Doctor Who or Morecambe and Wise. They were still junking children's programmes in the 1990s.

To think they might have saved coverage of obscure matches in the world championship from the 1970s is probably fanciful.

But even if the have still got it, how does one get access to it anyway?

Well that's the question. And you never know with the beeb archives. In that recent Gods of Snooker documentary they did have footage from the 70s that I've certainly never seen before.
Last edited by LDS on 27 Jan 2022, edited 1 time in total.

Postby TrevSS

badtemperedcyril wrote:Yep some of that Pot Black footage of Charlton and Williams around 72/73 was new to me. We need a BBC mole.

As someone has already alluded to, the Beeb have erased a lot of their old snooker footage only keeping things like finals and 147s etc. 10 years ago or so I contacted them asking them if they would be able to make me a dvd of a particular match from 1985 at the crucible when I was in the 2nd row for the duration of the session. I was willing to pay well over the odds for it but they were not very helpful. I used to record a lot of snooker back in the 80s/90s on VHS but this particular match I didn't record.