Post a reply

Snooker overkill

Postby LC

It seems like one long tournament at the minute, day after day at the same sterile environment, I know it’s because of the current situation in the world and they are doing all they can to get snooker on, but as a long term fan I’m bored with current set up and only watch out of habit, zero atmosphere makes the top players look like robots at times pumping out century after century

Re: Snooker overkill

Postby cupotee

not really my take , you don't have to watch the top players now that we have these chinese streams which are a breath of fresh air , i just got a sound of taylor and hendry's voices on the comms , muted them and went to other streams , and personally i never cared for atmosphere anyway , whats the point of it when potentially someone can put a player off , its all good .

Postby Iranu

While I understand what you mean, it just strikes me as ungrateful when people complain about this. They’re doing the best that they can, if people don’t want to watch they don’t have to. There’s only so much they can do to improve the atmosphere without a crowd.

I do think they should change the carpet for the different events (or at least different series) though. Such a small thing that would make a huge difference.

Postby SnookerEd25

I watch when I can, but not all the time. If I'm not enjoying a match, I'll switch to another or go and do something else.

Even SnookerFan is picking and choosing.

Bottom line - you're not obliged to watch.

Postby Acé

Pick and choose then I've barely watched any snooker this season due to no atmosphere and even I'm not feeling Judd's wins just aren't the same as 2018-march 2020 wins, there's no vibe.

Should have some fans for the final at least

Postby chengdufan

I have no complaints whatsoever. If I have time and there's snooker on, I'm thrilled. The last few months have been great.

Postby Acé

Masters 2021 will be the shittiest tournament ever if some fans aren't allowed in, it literally won't be the Masters. Fans make the Masters what it is in the first place

and i don't want to skip it it's my #2 tournament, at least for the final get a third of the fans in like WC 2020

Postby The Thunder From Down Under

Acé wrote:Masters 2021 will be the shittiest tournament ever if some fans aren't allowed in, it literally won't be the Masters. Fans make the Masters what it is in the first place

and i don't want to skip it it's my #2 tournament, at least for the final get a third of the fans in like WC 2020

It looks like there will be fans allowed in, fortunately. Let's hope this is the start of crowds returning.

Postby LC

I just think they could space out the tournaments, different formats maybe? Uk reverting back to bo/17

Postby Acé

Football is welcoming back fans (limited) straight away after lockdown ends so we should get some fans for the UK final and a proper return of the fans (limited obviously) for the Scottish Open and World Grand Prix i think

just a few hundred fans make a difference since it's indoors

Postby HappyCamper

LC wrote:Uk reverting back to bo/17

this should happen anyway.

Postby Iranu

LC wrote:I just think they could space out the tournaments, different formats maybe? Uk reverting back to bo/17

Space them out how? They’re already running up to a few days before Christmas.

The problem is they need to use this arena while it’s not in use by anyone else and they also need to allow for the possibility of other tournaments being held in the New Year - with all the uncertainty they need to a) give players as much playing opportunity as possible and b) leave space later in the calendar for other tournaments should they be able to go ahead.

There’s not enough time to revert the UK back to bo17 this season although I’m sure we all agree that should be the format generally speaking.

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:While I understand what you mean, it just strikes me as ungrateful when people complain about this. They’re doing the best that they can, if people don’t want to watch they don’t have to. There’s only so much they can do to improve the atmosphere without a crowd.

I do think they should change the carpet for the different events (or at least different series) though. Such a small thing that would make a huge difference.

Agreed.

It’s probably easy to lose a bit of perspective here. I don’t think anyone at WST or the other teams involved would actually choose to have things this way, but considering what they’re up against I’m happy we’re getting to watch snooker at all. They’re doing a damn good job with the limited options they have.

Also, do we not appreciate what the fans bring to the sport even more, after being without them for so long? It’s going to be incredible when we get packed arenas back.

Postby Wildey

Iranu wrote:While I understand what you mean, it just strikes me as ungrateful when people complain about this. They’re doing the best that they can, if people don’t want to watch they don’t have to. There’s only so much they can do to improve the atmosphere without a crowd.

it is what it is having snooker to play is fantastic for players and the fact Judd Trump, Mark Selby, Neil Robertson and Mark Allen already passed the 100K Mark earnings for the season is just unbelievable with a potential 370K to be won before Christmas kudos to World Snooker for that in these marmite times.

But Players feel the same way as fans like a hamster on a wheel going round and round and round that is the reality of it.

There's nothing stopping them finding other venues in the UK for verity but without gate revenue its much more cost-effective to be based in the same arena and i think its understandable but tedious.

Postby lhpirnie

The Thunder From Down Under wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:i'm quite enjoying the snooker.

I am enjoying it too, but it is definitely not as good without the crowds.

For me personally it's a bit different. I often go to tournaments to watch the lesser-known players on outside tables. Often there are very few spectators, or even none! The matches can still be very competitive and tense. Any player outside the top will be quite familiar with lack of crowds. It's just the very top players who might be disappointed, i.e. the ones who are earning hundreds of thousands playing (and maybe winning) these tournaments.

It's also vital to schedule these for contractual reasons. To cancel would jeopardise future deals, impacting snooker even when the post-covid times return. Everything needs to be done to try and find a way to schedule the China Open.