Post a reply

Is there a specific time limit between frames

Postby Juddernaut88

I don't know if this has ever been covered before but I have just wondered is there a specific time limit between frames where a player would need to return? so if a frame finishes, one or both of the players may walk out of the arena and go to the bathroom, would they have to be back by a specific time i.e. within 5 minutes or is there not really a time limit on this?

Re: Is there a specific time limit between frames

Postby Running side

I think pretty much up to referee discretion, players have been given extra time for tip issues. Leaving the arena seems to have crept in the last 15years, can hardly remember players in 70_80s needing to have toilet breaks apart from Big Bill.

Postby mick745

I think the space between frames is due to commercial providers running adverts. BBC will cut to the studio to discuss the frame to fill the time.

When it was just the bbc covering the event they used to just rerack, and crack on with the next frame. It was rare for players to go out between frames.

I guess they just feel more comfortable wandering around rather than sitting still in their chair for 2 or 3 minutes in the arena.

Postby Prop

There was some discussion a couple of seasons ago about this; that Hearn would be clamping down on unnecessarily lengthy ‘toilet breaks’ between frames. The argument was that players were exploiting the opportunity to make their opponent wait for the next frame, and in doing so apparently gaining a psychological advantage.

I haven’t really seen anything change drastically. And I haven’t heard of any players being warned or fined for it.

Postby shanew48

There is also not a time limit on how long in between shots which is why Selby could take 6 minutes and 31 seconds when he had his "brain freeze" on reflection, surely there should have been a point when the ref should have stepped in? say after 4 minute's? the crazy thing is if a player collapsed and needed to be checked over by paramedics, I actually think they may be able to be back at the table ready to play a shot which makes his 6 minutes 31 second shot time seem even more ridiculous, also this was pre pandemic so there were people sitting there waiting!