Post a reply

So did Judd freshen up Snooker coverage?

Postby The_Abbott

Judd wanted to freshen up snooker coverage with his commentary and punditry.

Did he?

I personally felt Lisowski did a better job!

Mike Dunn was also better than Judd during the seniors comms.

Judd was more hot air than fresh air.

Re: So did Judd freshen up Snooker coverage?

Postby SnookerFan

I quite liked Lisowski's commentary and punditry.

Trump was alright, I guess. Don't remember anything too annoying with him, but quite often have music on or play with my phone when watching snooker so sometimes I'm not paying full attention to commentary. For whatever reason, Lisowski stuck out more for me.

I think more needs to be done to freshen up the BBC's coverage, but getting in younger commentators is a start. Whether it's a full time solution whilst they're both still active players is another matter.

I have noticed that the BBC have started mentioning non-BBC tournaments a lot more in the last year or two. So maybe they are beginning to take criticism on board a bit.

Postby Reg Varney

Mike Dunn was excellent on the Seniors, although I'm not sure he would be the ideal candidate for freshening up the Beeb's coverage (another retired ex-Pro and pushing 50). However if they're looking to get rid of Dennis, JV or Parrott (unlikely, I know), I would absolutely replace one of those with him.

I thought Judd was surprisingly decent on commentary, my lasting memory of Jack though was practically falling asleep in the studio when he was on analysis duty during the Selby vs Bingham match.

Postby lhpirnie

SnookerFan wrote:...
I have noticed that the BBC have started mentioning non-BBC tournaments a lot more in the last year or two. So maybe they are beginning to take criticism on board a bit.

Yes, I think you are right. However, they did have a couple of mock-debates about 'attracting young players' and also an interview with John Parrott and Barry Hearn about the future. In all cases they flatly denied that change was needed, appealing to the 'history of the game'. I'm always baffled by these 'history' arguments, as if history can be 'destroyed' by change...

Postby Iranu

lhpirnie wrote:

Yes, I think you are right. However, they did have a couple of mock-debates about 'attracting young players' and also an interview with John Parrott and Barry Hearn about the future. In all cases they flatly denied that change was needed, appealing to the 'history of the game'. I'm always baffled by these 'history' arguments, as if history can be 'destroyed' by change...

I didn’t see the Parrott/Hearn interview but are you referring to the Hendry/Ken/Lisowski debate with regard to Judd’s comments?

Because they definitely didn’t deny that change was needed. Ken and Hendry obviously fell largely on the side of traditionalism (though not entirely) but the debate really didn’t land on changing nothing as a conclusion.

Postby lhpirnie

Iranu wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:

I didn’t see the Parrott/Hearn interview but are you referring to the Hendry/Ken/Lisowski debate with regard to Judd’s comments?

Because they definitely didn’t deny that change was needed. Ken and Hendry obviously fell largely on the side of traditionalism (though not entirely) but the debate really didn’t land on changing nothing as a conclusion.

Yes, I am. There was another one with Judd Trump at the side of the Crucible auditorium.

Basically, when they got Jack Lisowski in the studio facing Hendry and Doherty, they made him shift his ground, and then summed up with a compromise that basically changes nothing. Hendry and Doherty are now experienced commentators, Jack was unable to hold his own.

In all cases they tended to focus on the dresscode issue, which is peripheral.

Postby Dragonfly

I think he actually did fine. It was nice to hear him getting enthusiastic about other players. He also has a relaxing speaking voice suitable for commentating. While on eurosport Hamilton has the most grating voice I've ever heard and had to switch off.

I'm not sure if bringing in younger commentators will make everything better though. BBC had the best commentator ever in Clive Everton. And he's about 90.

Postby SnookerFan

Yeah, the BBC's discussion about whether change was needed did seem a bit off. Steve Davis basically claimed that players are opinions are irrelevant.

In the BBC's defence, they are targeting a specific audience. And that audience does exist, and is in fact probably the majority.

Postby mick745

I assume Judd and Jackie-boy had arranged a holiday for after the world championships so had a few days to kill.

However Trump as summariser/commentator is hardly a long term solution as he'll be in the later stages of most tournaments.

Postby Reg Varney

badtemperedcyril wrote:Sir Clive and Sexy Rexy looked pretty ancient on the Gods of Snooker documentary. They nevertheless, along with Ray Reardon, made nice contributions.

I had no idea Rex was still alive, thought he passed away years ago. Reardon was quality. Surprised "the Griff" wasn't used as a talking head, he seemed like the biggest omission from that era, especially considering they interviewed Thorburn.

Postby SnookerEd25

I wonder if Terry has gone a bit reclusive since the pandemic?

Hasn’t been heard on comms since then, thought he’d be on the Welsh at least.

:chin:

Postby badtemperedcyril

Reg Varney wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:Sir Clive and Sexy Rexy looked pretty ancient on the Gods of Snooker documentary. They nevertheless, along with Ray Reardon, made nice contributions.

I had no idea Rex was still alive, thought he passed away years ago. Reardon was quality. Surprised "the Griff" wasn't used as a talking head, he seemed like the biggest omission from that era, especially considering they interviewed Thorburn.

Reardon is always a class act. He's lost none of his old charisma and charm.

I think Terry has pretty much stopped travelling and doing public engagements now. He just does a bit of coaching at his club and enjoys a quiet life.

Rex is the last surviving link to the pre-television (Joe Davis/Leicester Square) era.

Postby SteveJJ

I wonder if there was a surge in youth viewing figures when they were on.

Talking of others, I think Perry is getting better.

With the rise of McManus and Perry they aren't struggling to fill the Ebdon void. If it was a void.

What other players would you like to see have a go? Who do you think would be awful?

Higgins has seemed nervous the couple of times hes done Studio work.

Obviously Murphy will get more offers.

Postby SnookerEd25

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:The bit where Judd 'n' Jack were doing "freestyle snooker" felt very different to the rest of BBC's coverage.

Quite liked that. I usually mute BBC coverage when there’s bo actual play on these days, but I un-muted for that.

Postby McManusFan

Judd was much better than I expected him to be. He was pretty good when paired with McManus, but much less good with Parrott - but everyone is less good with Parrott!

I didn't think Judd's comments before the tournament were actually that interested in improving the game or its coverage. It boiled down to 'I feel uncool in a waistcoat and I don't want to wear it', and 'everyone should play snooker like I do'. Nothing was said about actual issues with the game - namely the ranking system, or how to get more young people into the game. I don't buy that the dress code, or even the talk of the game's history are a turn off for younger viewers.

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerFan wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:i was mostly watching eurosport. did they talk about snooker?

Yes.

improvement on golf or match of the day. i vote yes.

Postby lhpirnie

McManusFan wrote:Judd was much better than I expected him to be. He was pretty good when paired with McManus, but much less good with Parrott - but everyone is less good with Parrott!

I didn't think Judd's comments before the tournament were actually that interested in improving the game or its coverage. It boiled down to 'I feel uncool in a waistcoat and I don't want to wear it', and 'everyone should play snooker like I do'. Nothing was said about actual issues with the game - namely the ranking system, or how to get more young people into the game. I don't buy that the dress code, or even the talk of the game's history are a turn off for younger viewers.

Yes I agree with you. The BBC clearly focused on dress-codes to avoid talking about real issues.

But I think the BBC commentators also made an effort to reduce the 1980's banter a bit this year. However, the personnel is the same, even if they did make a few additions.

Postby McManusFan

lhpirnie wrote:
McManusFan wrote:Judd was much better than I expected him to be. He was pretty good when paired with McManus, but much less good with Parrott - but everyone is less good with Parrott!

Yes I agree with you. The BBC clearly focused on dress-codes to avoid talking about real issues.

But I think the BBC commentators also made an effort to reduce the 1980's banter a bit this year. However, the personnel is the same, even if they did make a few additions.

I think that's slightly unfair on the BBC, they focused on the dress code issue because that seemed to be the main thing Trump was complaining about. The BBC coverage has been getting steadily better and better over the last few years, with less focus on fluff and more focus on the matches, and this year, as others have already mentioned, they went to great lengths to talk about non-BBC events, and recapping the season.