Post a reply

Pot Black

Postby SnookerFan

Remember about 15 years ago, they started doing Annual Pot Black tournaments? It'd be on the BBC and just last the day.

They should bring that back. That was good.

Re: Pot Black

Postby The_Abbott

With the BBC's obsession with cooking it would now be called Pot Kettle Black

Postby Juddernaut88

Yep should have pot black instead of the Championship league.

Postby Empire State Human

LDS wrote:Isn't the Shoot-Out basically Pot Black?

I don't remember Alan Weeks singing the Pink Panther theme when Eddie Charlton potted the pink for his century break.

Aimed at a different type of audience, for sure.

Postby The_Abbott

No. The Shoot-Out is a prestige ranking event.

Postby CaldoTheKid

Somewhat they just have a timed edition, there is a match between young Ronnie and Steve Davis up on Youtube.

Postby SnookerEd25

No resemblance at all. Pot Black featured proper snooker.

Postby SnookerFan

I meant without shitty shot clock rules and 10-minute bull-fuckery.

Postby SnookerEd25

Interestingly, a 1991 revival - ‘Pot Black Timeframe’ - was the version that featured the shot-clock, but wasn’t popular with the players or viewers so reverted to original format the following year. Make of that what you will...

Postby Dan-cat

Never understood the appeal of this at all. One frame of snooker. It was meant as a taster / sampler for the main events, attract new fans... which I get was important in the late 70s / early 80s

Postby lhpirnie

Dan-cat wrote:Never understood the appeal of this at all. One frame of snooker. It was meant as a taster / sampler for the main events, attract new fans... which I get was important in the late 70s / early 80s

Well it was actually the early 1970's when it was important. Obviously, by the late 1970's snooker had grown in popularity as a viewing sport and it was ready to expand to the World Championship...

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:Never understood the appeal of this at all. One frame of snooker. It was meant as a taster / sampler for the main events, attract new fans... which I get was important in the late 70s / early 80s

As an afternoon on the BBC, it was alright. But I guess this was at a time when there were only six rankers a season, so any snooker was welcome at the time.

Enjoyed it for what it was. The WST would probably make it a ranking event these days. rofl