Post a reply

British Open FA Cup-style tournament

Postby Pink Ball

I’ve always felt snooker would benefit from something like the lovely format they have for the UK Open, dubbed the FA Cup of darts. I’d love to see that, and I think the British Open could be a great opportunity to get all 128 players along with Challenge Tour players and regional qualifiers from around the UK involved.

Have on open draw that would make it as likely that Mark Selby and Judd Trump could be drawn to play each other as it is that you’ll get Joe Bloggs playing sausage Head. I think it would be very exciting.

Re: British Open FA Cup-style tournament

Postby csprince

i'd love to see an open draw tournament imagine an o'sullivan-trump first round while someone like amiri plays an amateur who doesn't know which end of the cue to hold.

Postby SnookerFan

csprince wrote:i'd love to see an open draw tournament imagine an o'sullivan-trump first round while someone like amiri plays an amateur who doesn't know which end of the cue to hold.

Which match do you reckon would be televised?

Postby csprince

SnookerFan wrote:
csprince wrote:i'd love to see an open draw tournament imagine an o'sullivan-trump first round while someone like amiri plays an amateur who doesn't know which end of the cue to hold.

if it's eurosport o'sullivan-trump if it's the beeb they'll pick amiri and dennis can tell us he's never seen him play.

Postby Juddernaut88

csprince wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

if it's eurosport o'sullivan-trump if it's the beeb they'll pick amiri and dennis can tell us he's never seen him play.

rofl

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

When Hearn seized power in 2010 I was fully expecting a revived British Open with an FA Cup style format within a couple of years. Maybe now it will finally happen.

Postby badtemperedcyril

The British Open was FA Cup style for a year or two. When Chaperon won it was. They used to get a celebrity in to do the draw after each round. Then they'd wheel John McCririck in to give an update on the betting.

"Corals only offer even money on the Master Cueman, the Wonder Bairn comes in at 3s but keep an eye on the Hurricane who you can get at 11/1 with William Hills!"

Postby Dragonfly

Wasn't there an event years ago that was supposed to be like the snooker equivalent of Wimbledon. Loads of tables going at same time. Men's and ladies competition. Doubles, juniors and so on.

Think Jimmy White won it. But the event never took place again. I hope this actually happened and I just didn't dream the whole thing. Or my memory is playing tricks on me. It would have been 30 odd years ago.

Postby Iranu

Dragonfly wrote:Wasn't there an event years ago that was supposed to be like the snooker equivalent of Wimbledon. Loads of tables going at same time. Men's and ladies competition. Doubles, juniors and so on.

Think Jimmy White won it. But the event never took place again. I hope this actually happened and I just didn't dream the whole thing. Or my memory is playing tricks on me. It would have been 30 odd years ago.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_World_Masters

This seems to fit the bill.

I’m pretty sure the juniors final is on YouTube.

Postby SnookerFan

Dragonfly wrote:Wasn't there an event years ago that was supposed to be like the snooker equivalent of Wimbledon. Loads of tables going at same time. Men's and ladies competition. Doubles, juniors and so on.

Sounds awful.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:

rofl

I like the junior final.

Postby csprince

SnookerFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:

rofl

I like the junior final.

perv.

Postby chengdufan

Pink Ball wrote:I’ve always felt snooker would benefit from something like the lovely format they have for the UK Open, dubbed the FA Cup of darts. I’d love to see that, and I think the British Open could be a great opportunity to get all 128 players along with Challenge Tour players and regional qualifiers from around the UK involved.

Have on open draw that would make it as likely that Mark Selby and Judd Trump could be drawn to play each other as it is that you’ll get Joe Bloggs playing sausage Head. I think it would be very exciting.

We already have this. It's called The Shootout

Postby csprince

iranu was correct i remember it too.

Postby csprince

chengdufan wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:I’ve always felt snooker would benefit from something like the lovely format they have for the UK Open, dubbed the FA Cup of darts. I’d love to see that, and I think the British Open could be a great opportunity to get all 128 players along with Challenge Tour players and regional qualifiers from around the UK involved.

true but not all the big guns play the shootout a proper ranker with an open draw would be great.

Postby badtemperedcyril

csprince wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:

rofl

I like the junior final.

perv.

Juniors were John Higgins v Mark Williams

Postby The_Abbott

chengdufan wrote:

I'd say the Shoot-Out is more like Snooker's equivalent to the Champions's League

Postby Wildey

Yea Great event non ranking and players had a bit of fun there too.

Alex Higgins was around the event although he decided not to play because Hendry threatened to withdraw because Alex was banned by the WPBSA but Alex Higgins was on commentary at times during the tournament.

Postby Iranu

https://wst.tv/strong-field-for-british ... leicester/

Hendry has entered, as have Ronnie, Judd, Selby, Higgins and several other top players.

A notable absence is Neil Robertson. Any Revolving Cues participants who have selected him for the British Open, don’t forget you can swap him (and indeed your other player) for anybody else: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=11319

Postby Iranu

Running side wrote:Thought Allen was skint, must play every tournament going unless accountants advise is win nothing.lost my support if so.

Well he said he was taking a break from snooker for a while after the Worlds.