Post a reply

SI’s Favourite Snooker Moment of 2020/21

Postby Iranu

Welcome to the Snooker Island’s Favourite Moment of the Season competition!

This is the Nominations Thread.

The Rules for Nominations:

1) Nominate your five favourite moments from the season in ranked order.

2) These nominations will be assigned the following points:

5th = 1
4th = 2
3rd = 3
2nd = 4
1st = 5

3) Nominations will be seeded based on their total number of points. If required, nominations with the same number of points will be separated by: most separate nominations; highest individual nomination; most instances of highest individual nomination; most instances of next highest individual nomination etc.

Nominations that cannot be separated by this method will first be ranked according to the nominators’ standing in Jonah Wall’s Most Influential Posters list, or by date of entry if none of the nominators are not on that list.

4) This thread will remain open to post nominations until 7pm on Saturday 17th July. Nominations will not be counted after this time. Yes, Cloud, that means you.

5) Any nominated moment must have occurred between 17th August 2020 and 4th May 2021.

The Tournament Format

1) The tournament entries will be seeded according to the above format.

2) Entries will be entered into a one-on-one match in which posters vote for their personal favourite of the two Moments. The Moment with the most votes will proceed to the next round. In the event of a draw, the higher-ranked Moment will progress, according to the same criteria as detailed above.

3) The final tournament format will be dependent on the number of nominations and qualifying. If an applicable number of entries are nominated (16, 32 etc) all entries will go straight into the tournament finals. If not, there may be a pre-tournament qualification Battle Royale for the lowest-ranked entries. This will be determined and confirmed based on the number of entries and rankings when this thread is closed.

What Constitutes A Moment?

First and foremost: this is NOT a competition for on-Island events only, as previous tournaments have been. This is a completely snooker-wide contest.

With that in mind, favourite moments can be anything from:

- A great shot
- A great performance/match
- A great tournament
- A social media post/exchange
- A funny occurrence in a match
- A player getting onto the tour (this includes Q School from last season as they will be deemed on the tour from 17th August 2020)
- A funny image
- An interview/documentary/article
- a Snooker Island event/occurrence/thread etc

And so on, as long as it is related to snooker in some way. If you are unsure whether something counts feel free to ask.

Tl;dr

Nominate your 5 favourite things that happened this season related to snooker, and I’ll make a tournament out of them. Closing date 7pm Saturday 17th July 2021.
Last edited by Iranu on 18 Jun 2021, edited 3 times in total.

Re: SI’s Favourite Snooker Moment of 2020/21

Postby Iranu

Entries can be amended any time up to 7pm on 13th June. However if you do edit your nominations the last date will be counted for all nominations, even those that remain the same, so it may affect your entries’ seedings.

Postby csprince

1 yan bingtao winning the masters
2 chengdufan's rankings thread
3 judders having kittens everytime a trump match is close
4 pinkie's think pink
5 csprince's ranking updates

6 iranu correcting my bad grammar.

sorry iranu forgot about bingtao.
Last edited by csprince on 04 Jun 2021, edited 3 times in total.

Postby Prop

5th) Jordan Brown winning the Welsh Open as a complete outsider, beating Ronnie in the final. It was a real fairytale, with real emotion. How could you not be happy for the guy?!

4th) Eurosport, Ronnie, and a few others calling out Selby for gaining a dishonest advantage on a rest shot in his WC win against Murphy. It was bad to see it happen, but good to see that people didn’t turn a blind eye.

3rd) Crucible dressing room cameras catching a glimpse of what looked like a Fleshlight on Murphy’s dressing table during a mid-session interval. Shocking behaviour from The Magician.
https://twitter.com/snookertipstero/sta ... 53282?s=21

2nd) Hendry’s comeback century. Ok, Selt outplayed him, and it wasn’t the result a lot of us hoped for, but for a moment we were reminded just how much of an animal Hendry was in his prime. It was something that for a long time we thought we’d never see again. Great to watch.

1st) Crowds returning to The Crucible. It was the perfect time, and the perfect place, to stitch back the limb that was dismembered from our sport during 2020. Having the mob back was so bucking special, and in my eyes the greatest moment of the season.

Postby Iranu

CS I’ll have a think about it but “SF’s funny posts” might be a bit too general. Not ruling it out just yet though.

Some great options already, keep ‘em coming, guys.

Postby Iranu

csprince wrote:have amended my picks forgot about yan bingtao.

<ok>

Your bonus selection is a great one by the way!
Last edited by Iranu on 04 Jun 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Juddernaut88

1. Judd Trump winning the World Grand Prix- Dream final between him and Jack.
2. Judd Trump comeback against Barry Hawkins in the German Masters semi final.
3. Judd Trump beating Ronnie in the Northern Ireland Open Final
4. Jordan Brown beating Ronnie in the Welsh Open final
5. Stephen Hendry beating Jimmy White in the world championship 1st qualifying round,

Postby Pink Ball

1. Yan Bingtao winning the Masters
2. Think Pink attracting a prize pool
3. Jonah Wall's influential posters list. An unintentional comedy classic.
4. The Simpsons memes Twitter account starting up.
5. Anthony McGill defeating Ronnie O'Sullivan. One of the only bright spots from the worst World Championship ever held.

Postby HappyCamper

1) "sixteen stone of basildon beast"
2) jordan brown betvictor welsh open triumph.
3) yan bingtao betfred masters triumph.
4) mcgill beating o'sullivan at the betfred world snooker championship.
5) hendry's (belated) comeback ton.
Last edited by HappyCamper on 17 Jul 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby chengdufan

1. All the brilliant new friends who have joined us on the island - there are many.
2. Pink Ball v Jonny Bravo in the Snooker Island World Championship. 3. Brown and Yan's wins
4. Hendry playing White, and winning.
5. Xiao Guodong, Ding Junhui's dad and Zhang Anda on commentary.

Postby FoulNMiss

Not very tasty, that season, let's see :

5- Robbo's new "haircut".
4- Ochoiski making his first century against Ronnie at the English Open.
3- Ochoiski beating Davison at the Welsh.
2- Jimmy and Hendry playing each other at the World Championship.
1- Robbo beating Trump at the UK final on the last pink.

Postby 1892

FoulNMiss wrote:Not very tasty, that season, let's see :

Out of interest, why the inclusion of the Ochoiski moments?

He played well against Ronnie tbf. Wasn’t too good against Robbo though. Be good to see him do well next season.

Postby FoulNMiss

1892 wrote:

He played well against Ronnie tbf. Wasn’t too good against Robbo though. Be good to see him do well next season.

The reason is quite simple, I'm a Frenchman, no need to look further. ;) It's a pride to see a fellow countryman at this stage, the first ever I guess, his accomplishments are not great but still good enough to put this country on the snooker map, snooker being pretty nonexistent across the Channel.

Postby SnookerFan

1. The ITV quiz thing, where you could tweet in answers. I got my name read out on TV.
2. John Higgins playing superb all week and winning The Players Championship.
3. Getting to see the females play in Crucible qualifying. Despite losing, Rebecca Kenna looked confident in being there.
4. Yan Bingtao winning the Masters
5. Jordan Brown winning The Welsh Open, proving that we won't frown.

Postby 1892

FoulNMiss wrote:
1892 wrote:

The reason is quite simple, I'm a Frenchman, no need to look further. ;) It's a pride to see a fellow countryman at this stage, the first ever I guess, his accomplishments are not great but still good enough to put this country on the snooker map, snooker being pretty nonexistent across the Channel.

Completely understandable! As I said, hope he does well.

Postby Dan-cat

Some great ideas in this thread already.

I'll shoot with:

1. Yan Bigtoe winning the Masters
2. The Dreamer's comeback and 5 frames on the spin against Judd in their first of three finals together. He showed us what he can do when's he playing his A Game and - dare I say it - he looks even more fluent than Ronnie, which I didn't think possible
3. Ronnie's attempted comeback and spectacular potting when he won 5 frames in a row against McGill to force a decider at the WC. My favourite session of the year and he came so close. Shame McGill did buck all after that, but that's what happens.
4. John Higgins win and performance at the Players, coming straight after getting beat by Bingtao in the Masters.
5. The frisson and fuss of Hendry's comeback

Thanks Iranu for running this - much appreciated. Not an easy task.

Postby Prop

Dan-cat wrote:The Dreamer's comeback and 5 frames on the spin against Judd in their first of three finals together. He showed us what he can do when's he playing his A Game and - dare I say it - he looks even more fluent than Ronnie, which I didn't think possible

See, I forget lots, so it’s good to read other people’s lists and think “oh yeah, that was good” :-)

I agree on that, often he seemed more silky than a near-peak 35+ year old Ronnie. A lot like watching a young Ron. It was really encouraging to see him have a decent season, and you’d think the more time he spends at the business end of tournaments the more comfortable with the occasion he’s going to become.

Postby Iranu

Prop wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:The Dreamer's comeback and 5 frames on the spin against Judd in their first of three finals together. He showed us what he can do when's he playing his A Game and - dare I say it - he looks even more fluent than Ronnie, which I didn't think possible

See, I forget lots, so it’s good to read other people’s lists and think “oh yeah, that was good” :-)

I agree on that, often he seemed more silky than a near-peak 35+ year old Ronnie. A lot like watching a young Ron. It was really encouraging to see him have a decent season, and you’d think the more time he spends at the business end of tournaments the more comfortable with the occasion he’s going to become.

You’re welcome to edit your list if you want to include this.

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:
Prop wrote:

You’re welcome to edit your list if you want to include this.

I’ll stick with my original selection I think. Those were the memories that came to me first, so I suppose it’s logical that they would be the most memorable moments for me.

Postby Iranu

Okay so on reflection I am going to extend the closing date for nominations until 7pm Saturday 17th July.

It’s a long wait but this is the day before the new season starts and gives more chance for posters who come here less regularly during the off-season to give their nominations.

However, the sooner you can get yours in the better as this could improve your choices’ seedings.

Postby FoulNMiss

1892 wrote:
FoulNMiss wrote:
1892 wrote:

Completely understandable! As I said, hope he does well.

Hope the same thing.

Postby Dragonfly

The 3 most important events had relatively exciting finals. While none of them were of the highest quality, they were all gripping in their own ways.

Good to see Yan win his first major at the Masters. I'm sure more will follow in time. While the UK final was a snoozefest at times it was worth struggling through for the dramatic finish.

Just a shame Murphy lost too many frames from promising situations in the World final. But good to see him back playing to such a high standard again.