Post a reply

Which World final would you most like to have seen? (you can vote for 2)

Ray Reardon vs John Spencer
8%
A.Higgins v Steve Davis
8%
A.Higgins vs Jimmy White
No votes
Steve Davis v Stephen Hendry
38%
Stephen Hendry v Ronnie O'Sullivan
43%
Ronnie O'Sullivan v Judd Trump
3%

Total votes : 37

Great World finals that never happened

Postby TheRocket

Dave Hendon asked on Twitter so I decided to make something similar on SI. All great rivalries but never met in a World final. Which World final would you have liked to see the most?

You can vote for 2.

I voted A.Higgins v Davis and Hendry v ROS .

Re: Great World finals that never happened

Postby Dragonfly

Has to be Davis v Higgins and Hendry v O'Sullivan. Though I am saying this on the condition that Higgins would play at his very best against Davis. Too often he didn't and it could end up 18-8 or something.

Postby Andre147

For me it's Hendry v Davis and ROS v Hendry, the 3 greatest players of all time in my view. But at least they contested Semi-Finals, yes not the same but one table setup nonetheless.

Alex Higgins v Davis would be my 3rd choice, provided Higgins didn't get hammered, like 90% of the times.

Postby Andre147

HappyCamper wrote:Last two could still happen!

Hendry reaching another world final would be one of the greatest achievments in any sport, period.

As for the last one, it's possible yes.

Postby James Bentley

I've gone for Davis vs Hendry and Hendry vs O'Sullivan.

Higgins vs. Davis would have been a complete mismatch whatever year it happened, Alex would be lucky to get more than five frames. And O'Sullivan vs Trump will still happen; and as I'm concentrating on the "never happened" bit I'll rule that one out (I have travelled into the future to verify this, but won't give away how it goes). Reardon vs Spencer is difficult for me to judge because both players peaked before I started watching snooker, but nothing I've seen from their 1970s encounters leads me to believe that it would be too hot, certainly not standards-wise. Higgins vs White would be a close third as we have the 1982 semi-final to go by, which was indeed a classic match and would really have been a more worthy final that year.

But overall, it has to be Davis vs Hendry (preferably sometime between 1988 and 1995) and Hendry vs O'Sullivan (late 1990s or very early 2000s). Both pairings had some great encounters around these times and the highly-charged dynamic of a World final would have made such matches something extra special.

Postby Andre147

If O'Sullivan v Trump happens in a world final, I fear Trump may destroy ROS in a similar fashion to the 2019 world final against Higgins.

But nothing to be ashamed of... one in his absolute prime, another an old man past 45.

Postby Andre147

Iranu wrote:In terms of favourites that are also great players, MJW vs Ronnie.

An MJW in his prime v an in form ROS would make a very exciting match no doubt, similar to Trump v ROS.

Postby mick745

I feel A Higgins v S Davis would have been a one sided affair. Davis only failed to reach the final once between 81-89 and tended to get the better of Higgins in the long matches. From the mid 80s Higgins was a spent force anyway. If Davis had got a big early lead higgins would have probably tried to take on more and more outrageous shots and left davis too many easy chances.

Hendry v Davis any time from about 88-95 would have been great.

Postby SnookerFan

I went for Davis vs Hendry. Dunno why I picked that over Hendry vs Ronnie. Just feel a World Final in 1990 or 1991 between the two, when Davis was still a somebody and Hendry was up and coming might've been interesting.

We got a 2002 semi between Hendry and Ronnie when Ronnie had been World Champion and Hendry was still somewhat capable. So at least we got something close with that.

Postby Prop

I picked Davis vs Hendry and Hendry vs Ronnie. Doesn’t need much explanation, really. Davis was the man in the 80s, sheer dominance, and Hendry was the guy that dethroned him.

It’s a little more nuanced between Ronnie and Hendry. It became such a competitive era, with the likes of Higgins, Williams, and plenty of other big-hitters becoming real forces in the game. Arguably, Hendry’s peak years were the last real years of dominance in the game. Of course, in hindsight we can now say that Ronnie has taken the mantle of GOAT from Hendry, but it took a while for that to happen. It wasn’t like when Hendry came on the scene and immediately took ownership.

A Hendry vs Ronnie final, both at their peaks, would surely be the biggest final we could ever witness. Without doubt the two greatest of all time.

Postby LDS

Reardon v Spencer & Hendry v O'Sullivan.

As mentioned by others, some other match-ups would have been cool. my picks might also be:

White v McManus in '93
Knowles v Davis in 83, '85 or '86

More White v Davis generally as they only had one very early on in their career. They could have even faced each other in '94, which would have been truly epic.

Postby Dragonfly

It's a shame White had a few lack lustre years between 1984 and 1990. After gaining experience of the final in 84 it was easy to expect that he would compete another final against Davis. Could have been epic but I guess Jimmy's mind was busy elsewhere.

Postby Juddernaut88

badtemperedcyril wrote:If Paul Hunter had beaten Doherty in the 2003 World championship semi-final, as he looked certain to when he led 15-9 and 16-14. How would he have fared in the final against Williams?

I think it would have been a close match but I still think Mark Williams would have just edged it.

Postby badtemperedcyril

Juddernaut88 wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:If Paul Hunter had beaten Doherty in the 2003 World championship semi-final, as he looked certain to when he led 15-9 and 16-14. How would he have fared in the final against Williams?

I think it would have been a close match but I still think Mark Williams would have just edged it.

I agree. Mark had such a cool head under pressure. Would've been nice for Paul to have had a crack at a World title though. He was in great form that year but cracked a bit when the winning line appeared.

Postby Andre147

Juddernaut88 wrote:

MJW was just too good that season, last player to win all TC events in the same season. He would win the Final against Hunter.