Post a reply

Question about power shots.

Postby Raziel

You know those power shots like Ronnie and Judd play, where the centre if the cue bends downwards towards the table. How is this achieved?

Is it?

(1) Downward pressure is placed on the bridge hand by pressing downwards with the back hand, thus causing the centre of the cue to bend downwards towards the table. The chin remaining lightly touching the cue.

(2) Downward pressure is placed on the bridge hand by pressing downwards on the cue with the chin, and pulling upwards with the back hand, thus causing the centre of the cue to bend downwards towards the table.

(3) Or is there a different way? Maybe some weird combination of methods (1) and (2) or something?

I have always used method (1). But maybe I've been doing it wrong all my life. Does anyone know?

TIA. Raz.

Re: Question about power shots.

Postby rekoons

I have no idea but I think it's a slight changed version of 2:

at the final backswing the head is neither lifted or going down on the cue (the head stays put vertically), at the same time at the back of the backswing the butt end is lifted, and because the head/chin stays put the cue tends to bend at the chin.

why they do it, I don't know :shrug:

Postby Raziel

rekoons wrote:still thinking about it I see <laugh>

lol. Yes. it's been bugging me as to whether or not I've been doing it right for all these years. :-D

Postby Raziel

rekoons wrote:I have no idea but I think it's a slight changed version of 2:

at the final backswing the head is neither lifted or going down on the cue (the head stays put vertically), at the same time at the back of the backswing the butt end is lifted, and because the head/chin stays put the cue tends to bend at the chin.

why they do it, I don't know :shrug:

I understand what you mean, and I can certainly see it as being a possibility. You may well be correct. I don't know.

Bloody hell, this is really bugging me now. Does anyone know of any professionals we could ask or something?

Postby RunningSide

Raz, change your glasses,or play without things might become clearer.

Postby Raziel

Someone told that the cue bending is just a trick of the camera, and the cues do not really bend like that at all.

I'm still not convinced about anything yet.

Postby Raziel

RunningSide wrote:Raz, change your glasses,or play without things might become clearer.

My snooker glasses are great. They make the balls look really small and make the pockets look really big.

They must be working OK, because I beat Conky 3 - 0 yesterday. Mind you, Conky is actually only a hand held puppet.

The rise and fall of Conky is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcsm6QO-MWE

and here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRMKernu99Y