Post a reply

Best snooker ever played in a world final?

Steve Davis 1989
7%
Stephen Hendry 1993
17%
Stephen Hendry 1999
No votes
John Higgins 1998
3%
Ronnie O'Sullivan 2004
7%
Ronnie O'Sullivan 2013
20%
Judd Trump 2019
47%
Other
No votes

Total votes : 30

Re: Best snooker ever played in a world final

Postby shanew48

Sometimes with these sort of things people will conflate dominance with quality, I can't remember all of the years shown there but surely Ronnie in 2013 must be right up there taking into account he had had 12 months off prior to that final.

Postby sas6789

orky wrote:I've actually voted for O' Sullivan in 2004, really good all round performance. Hendry was superb in 1993 albeit more one dimensional.

Watch The Hendry-Davis world semi 1994 and tell me Hendry was one dimensional.

Postby TheRocket

O'Sullivans peak match in the 2004 WC was in the semis against Hendry. The final was ok but not an all time classic performance. He definitely played better in the 2013 and the 2001 final.

I'd say Trump in the 2019 WC probably played the best. Ahead of ROS 2013 and Hendry 1993

Postby Johnny Bravo

The_Abbott wrote:was 2013 the year Ronnie like didn't play a game and just showed up and won? If so, then that year

Yes, that is the year.
But this poll was about who played the highest standard in a WC final, not who's overall win was more impressive.

Postby orky

It may or may not be pockets were bigger in Hendry's era but I seem to remember in the 2019 final so many pots went in that shouldn't have. That in itself must have given Trump more and more confidence. When you're playing well and on top of that you know the pockets are more forgiving than normal it's easy to see why he made so many big breaks, so did Higgins in that final.

Postby The_Abbott

Johnny Bravo wrote:
The_Abbott wrote:was 2013 the year Ronnie like didn't play a game and just showed up and won? If so, then that year

Yes, that is the year.
But this poll was about who played the highest standard in a WC final, not who's overall win was more impressive.

Then I stick to my answer of Ronnie 2013. He was awesome that year.

Postby badtemperedcyril

Joe Davis played some good snooker in the first post war World Championship. In the final, played at the Royal Horticultural Hall, Vincent Square, Westminster, he overcame Australian Horace Lindrum with an impressive run of scoring.
Joe Davis bks 51, 59, 61, 104, 52, 61, 50, 56, 133, 74, 58, 63, 62, 55, 136, 84, 107, 107, 94, 61,75, 55, 59, 83, 83, 76, 87, 76, 52, 77, 53, 67, 66, 122, 58, 116, 83.

It may not stack up with current day scoring but bear in mind he was using heavy crystalate balls, playing on thick cloths so the reds were harder to split open.

I don’t think that standard was matched until Hendry came along in the 90’s.

Postby orky

This is why I try not to get too involved in who is the best player ever debate etc as it's practically impossible to compare eras for so many different reasons. My 1 2 3 answer to the original post world probably be O' Sullivan 2004, Hendry 1993 and Trump 2019. If it's the best all round performance, then Ronnie, if more from a scoring point of view, then Hendry and Trump were devastating in their finals.

Postby shanew48

The_Abbott wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

Yes, that is the year.

Then I stick to my answer of Ronnie 2013. He was awesome that year.

Yep, He got my vote for that year.

Postby Johnny Bravo

badtemperedcyril wrote:Joe Davis played some good snooker in the first post war World Championship. In the final, played at the Royal Horticultural Hall, Vincent Square, Westminster, he overcame Australian Horace Lindrum with an impressive run of scoring.
Joe Davis bks 51, 59, 61, 104, 52, 61, 50, 56, 133, 74, 58, 63, 62, 55, 136, 84, 107, 107, 94, 61,75, 55, 59, 83, 83, 76, 87, 76, 52, 77, 53, 67, 66, 122, 58, 116, 83.

It may not stack up with current day scoring but bear in mind he was using heavy crystalate balls, playing on thick cloths so the reds were harder to split open.

I don’t think that standard was matched until Hendry came along in the 90’s.

That scoring is very impressive given the playing conditions. :hatoff: :hatoff: :hatoff:
Having played once with old balls, I will say that potting is easier with those balls, but moving the cueball around is way harder.

I wish we'd have a time machine to bring all of the snooker ATGs to play a round robin tournament to see who comes out on top. :-)

Postby chengdufan

Johnny Bravo wrote:I wish we'd have a time machine to bring all of the snooker ATGs to play a round robin tournament to see who comes out on top. :-)

Funnily enough, I have been preparing this for the last couple of weeks. The time machine will be up and running before next year's world championship

Postby Prop

Bit late to this. Voted Judd 19. It wasn’t just the highest standard, it was the most raw. It’s the best I’ve seen him play, and I believe it’s the best he’ll ever play in a big tournament.

Postby SnookerFan

TheRocket wrote:O'Sullivans peak match in the 2004 WC was in the semis against Hendry. The final was ok but not an all time classic performance. He definitely played better in the 2013 and the 2001 final.

I'd say Trump in the 2019 WC probably played the best. Ahead of ROS 2013 and Hendry 1993

Good point.

I was going to say it was either 2019 Trump or 2004 Ronnie.

I'll go Trump.

Postby PLtheRef

Prop wrote:Bit late to this. Voted Judd 19. It wasn’t just the highest standard, it was the most raw. It’s the best I’ve seen him play, and I believe it’s the best he’ll ever play in a big tournament.

I agree, he was absolutely immense in that World Championship Final, especially how he took control of the second session and never let John Higgins have a chance of getting anywhere close to being back in that contest even if he was playing well.

Similarly Ronnie's win over Barry Hawkins in 2013 was impressive in how it came in a match where (even if the scoreline was a relatively comfortable one in the end) both players were playing at the top of their form!

Postby mick745

chengdufan wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:I wish we'd have a time machine to bring all of the snooker ATGs to play a round robin tournament to see who comes out on top. :-)

Funnily enough, I have been preparing this for the last couple of weeks. The time machine will be up and running before next year's world championship

Hopefully we can get atgs together in other sports too.