Post a reply

Re: Assuming a prime Stephen Hendry was playing today

Postby Johnny Bravo

shanew48 wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
shanew48 wrote:Just imagine how many ranking events Hendry would have ended up with if between 1988 and and 1996 there had been 20 + tournaments to go at + the masters wasn't classed as a ranking event back then so add 5 more on for them he would have notched up an unassailable amount of ranking event victory's which would most probably still be a record to this day.

The Masters ain't classed as a ranking event nowadays either, so wtf are you talking about ?!?
And yes, Hendry would have probably won a few more events, but not much more. The class of 92 was getting the better of him on most occasions, especially in finals.

Did the CO92 get the better of him on most occasions between 1992 and 1996? I don't think the stats back that up but as always happy to be corrected.

They were mere pups back then, in their teens. As soon as they turned 20, Hendry's domination ended.

Postby sas6789

shanew48 wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
shanew48 wrote:Just imagine how many ranking events Hendry would have ended up with if between 1988 and and 1996 there had been 20 + tournaments to go at + the masters wasn't classed as a ranking event back then so add 5 more on for them he would have notched up an unassailable amount of ranking event victory's which would most probably still be a record to this day.

The Masters ain't classed as a ranking event nowadays either, so wtf are you talking about ?!?
And yes, Hendry would have probably won a few more events, but not much more. The class of 92 was getting the better of him on most occasions, especially in finals.

Did the CO92 get the better of him on most occasions between 1992 and 1996? I don't think the stats back that up but as always happy to be corrected.

From 1998-2005, his overall H2H against Higgins was 11-10-2, and against Williams it was 15-13-2, so he had a winning record against 2 of them even in that period.

Postby shanew48

Hendry far from his prime now though, could this comeback turn out to be the least successful comeback in history?

I understand that the narrative after this evenings loss will be that his opponent made 5 century's which is a fair defence if they are knocking long reds in off each break off shot and then going on to make frame winning breaks, if that isn't happening then obviously you are giving your opponent too many chances, the signs weren't good when you are being whitewashed by the calibre of Chris Wakelin, someone who in his prime wouldn't have been allowed in the same room as Hendry!

Postby HappyCamper

shanew48 wrote:Hendry far from his prime now though, could this comeback turn out to be the least successful comeback in history?

Bjorn Borg was worse. Don't think he even won a single match.

Postby HappyCamper

HappyCamper wrote:
shanew48 wrote:Hendry far from his prime now though, could this comeback turn out to be the least successful comeback in history?

could maybe say lance armstrong even, since i think his comeback in part precipitated the investigations that lead to him being stripped of his seven tours de france.

Postby shanew48

HappyCamper wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:

could maybe say lance armstrong even, since i think his comeback in part precipitated the investigations that lead to him being stripped of his seven tours de france.

Ricky Hatton must be in the mix, although from a financial perspective it was at least a success but legacy wise it was a nightmare.

In the world of Cricket Jonathan Trotts comeback was an unmitigated nightmare but I think as things stand Hendry is going to blow them all out of the water!

If it was about money then he could surely make plenty doing more of the work he was doing in China which was pretty lucrative for very little actual work you would imagine as they were just paying him money to use his name and probably just required him to turn up and show his face every now and then.

He must have paid the EX wife off by now, his Children don't want anything to do with him from what I can gather so not much expenditure there, being Scottish he is unlikely to end up with an expensive gambling addiction (too mean) so the only thing it leaves is that that tight little fitness instructor thing that he chopped the ex wife in for and shacked up with has bled him dry?

Postby shanew48

If that's the case then he is going to have to up his game as she won't be hanging around if the money drys up too much, if the money drys up then she will dry up and pack him in.

Look at Jimmy, he needs to keep the money rolling in as "Jimmy white, the millionaire" was appealing to that 26 year old sunday sport stunner that he is with "skint 56 year old Jimmy white" just doesn't have the same appeal does it. She's not with him for his amazing intellect and sophistication is she.

Postby Johnny Bravo

From what I've read in an article, Hendry squandered his fortune, that's why he went to China in the first place.
Perhaps the Chinese ain't paying up much anymore these days.
But he should be making a decent living from commentating. Also, Ronnie has taken him on some of his exhibitions, so he'll make some from there also.

Postby shanew48

Johnny Bravo wrote:From what I've read in an article, Hendry squandered his fortune, that's why he went to China in the first place.
Perhaps the Chinese ain't paying up much anymore these days.
But he should be making a decent living from commentating. Also, Ronnie has taken him on some of his exhibitions, so he'll make some from there also.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... f-age.html

Really can't understand where all the money went that he earnt over all of those years?

With regards to the wedding ring being "Flawed" I'm not sure what that means? does it mean that he only spent £5000 on it? or that it was fake or faulty in some way?

Interesting article, paints him as not the greatest family fan it would be fair to say but he does have a lovely tan these days, that cannot be denied.

Postby shanew48

Holden Chinaski wrote:What is this, Gossip for old housewives Island?

It is interesting to speculate where millions of pounds could have disappeared to I think, not so interesting the parts about him being a reprobate when it comes to parenting or being a husband though.

Postby Wildey

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:Do you a comprehension or a reading problem ?!?

I clearly stated "EARLY 90S".
Since when is 99 in the early 90s ?????

‘99 is a harder era than the early 90s, and look how Hendry managed.

Yes, late 90s was harder indeed than early 90s, but Hendry did not dominate the late 90s one bit.
He was losing way more than he was winning, against the class of 92, especially in big finals.
99 was the exception, not the norm.

That was more down to his form than the competition, lets see the Evidence

1997/1998
Lost 5-0 to Steve Davis
Lost 6-5 to John Parrott
Lost 5-3 to Jamie Burnett
Lost 10-6 to Ronnie O'Sullivan
Lost 5-3 to John Parrott
Lost 6-5 to Ken Doherty
Lost 5-4 to Jamie Burnett
Lost 10-9 to Mark Williams
Lost 5-4 to Marcus Campbell
Lost 6-4 to Ronnie O'Sullivan
Lost 6-3 to Ronnie O'Sullivan
Lost 9-8 to John Higgins
Lost 10-4 to Jimmy White

1998/1999
Lost 6-5 to John Higgins
Lost 5-4 to Dave Harold
Lost 9-0 to Marcus Campbell
Lost 5-2 to Tony Drago
Lost 5-4 to Tony Drago
Lost 9-8 to Mark Williams
Lost 6-4 to Tony Drago
Lost 5-2 to Jimmy White
Lost 5-2 to Mark Williams
Lost 6-2 to Billy Snaddon
Lost 5-3 to Anthony Hamilton

Then wins 7th World Championship

He lost 8 matches to the Class of 92 4 of them in deciders but those seasons leading up to the WC in 99 he lost to virtually anyone from Steve Davis 5-0, Marcus Campbell 9-0 and 3 times in one season to Tony Drago the only 3 times Drago beat him in 18 matches.

So late 90s his form was more to do with his decline he lost the consistency.