Post a reply

Re: The future of snooker

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:It’s a shame Hawes & Curtis didn’t keep sponsoring.

You’d think it would be a no-brainer for tailoring/clothing companies to sponsor snooker. Why aren’t the likes of Slaters/Moss Bros/whatever getting in on the action?

Though it's part of the dress code, is it really something that you're going to convince the punters to buy?

When was the last time you were wataching snooker, and decided to buy a suit just because a player was wearing one too?

At least with betting companies, you might be convinced to have a bet on impulse. The advertising is more likely to work.

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:

You’d think it would be a no-brainer for tailoring/clothing companies to sponsor snooker. Why aren’t the likes of Slaters/Moss Bros/whatever getting in on the action?

Though it's part of the dress code, is it really something that you're going to convince the punters to buy?

When was the last time you were wataching snooker, and decided to buy a suit just because a player was wearing one too?

At least with betting companies, you might be convinced to have a bet on impulse. The advertising is more likely to work.

Well, how often would you watch a snooker match and think, “Oh I’ll buy a car?” It’s about brand awareness, isn’t it?

I think you’re more likely to think, “Oh, Selby’s suit looks nice, I wonder if he got that through Slaters since they’re sponsoring? Let’s have a look.” Than to think, “Selby’s playing well, guess I’ll have a look at cars!”

Postby Prop

After last week it’s probably more likely to be JD Sports or Sports Direct doing any deal.

Postby SnookerFan

mick745 wrote:I never once thought "ah the snooker's on, i think i'll go and buy myself 20 Rothmans".

Do you smoke? Because if you don't, you won't anyway.

Even if you do though, advertising is a lot more subtle than that. It's not meant to put it into your conscious mind that way. Take my earlier example of Doritos. I'm not supposed to see the advert, and then run straight out to buy a bag. But if I see the name plastered everywhere a thousand time per match, after a week worth of watching snooker I might start feeling like a bag. I might not even know why, as I hadn't noticed it was there consciously.

My point was, there's more likely to be a crossover of people who are watching snooker who want a bet or want a bag of crisps than there for buying quality suits. It's more of an impulse buy.

But then, who knows? I don't go out an buy suits unless I can help it anyway.

Postby McManusFan

Dan-cat wrote:They are just trying to create atmosphere. Warm up the crowd.

Rumours of snooker's demise are grossly exaggerated. There's a huge global audience. Sponsors will be found.

I've never got this 'create an atmosphere' malarky. Snooker isn't really like other sports, you want the crowd to be quite and hushed and tense. You want an atmosphere that's more like going to the theatre, or to see some classical music - they don't have a dance-cam in Symphony Hall!

Postby HappyCamper

Bingham has a personal sponsorship with a tailor and they make his suits. Kyren Wilson used to have one with H&C.

The strangest thing about the home nations was the decision to have everyone in the same shirts, and moreover in non descript all black. There was no prospect of actually showing off H&C's product range. Noone watching is likely to even notice them, let alone think 'that's a nice shirt I wonder who made it'.

Postby RunningSide

Prop wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Prop wrote:Yes, exactly. For now things seem ok on the face of it. But it’s only really the Cazoo sponsorship that indicates snooker can find money in other sectors outside of bookmakers. And Matchroom themselves have been sponsors, which again suggests there aren’t many firms clamouring for the advertising space.

In fairness that was something of a knock-on from the pandemic. Betting firms had no sport to make money and didn’t want to spend on sponsoring tournaments like previous seasons; other companies were also struggling and wouldn’t fancy stepping in. It did show rather starkly the foolishness of relying on betting firms, though.

The good news from that is that WST was doing so well that Matchroom was essentially able to sponsor itself. How many sports of snooker’s size would have that kind of money in its bank account?

I do find it strange how hard they seem to find it to get non-betting sponsors. Unless they’re simply the highest bidders which would be a bit shortsighted.

Maybe they are putting the most money up.

Snooker isn't the most popular sport, and I can imagine other companies wouldn't be interested in investing fat cash into what they'd consider a niche sport. Whereas betting companies actually have an interest in sponsoring sports by definition.

I mean snacks and drinks are something you'd consume whilst sat in front of the telly for hours. But maybe Doritos, Coca-Cola and Stella Artois don't find it a big enough audience to spunk money at.

Bring back Pukka Pies!

Most people do.

Postby Iranu

HappyCamper wrote:

Bingham has a personal sponsorship with a tailor and they make his suits. Kyren Wilson used to have one with H&C.

The strangest thing about the home nations was the decision to have everyone in the same shirts, and moreover in non descript all black. There was no prospect of actually showing off H&C's product range. Noone watching is likely to even notice them, let alone think 'that's a nice shirt I wonder who made it'.

Interesting I didn’t know that about Bingham and Kyren. Surprised it doesn’t happen more often. Or maybe it does and I likewise haven’t noticed.

From memory, the H&C logo was on the arm of the shirts but yeah, a bit more variation would’ve been good. They weren’t helped by the shirts being quite a poor fit for a lot of players on the first tournament, either.

Postby SnookerFan

Yes, now you mention it, a sponsor on a players shirt or waistcoat is probably a good idea.

I was assuming that you mean sponsoring a whole tournament, like Cazoo does. Seeing what a player is wearing might make a person want to buy it. Then they can see the logo.

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:Yes, now you mention it, a sponsor on a players shirt or waistcoat is probably a good idea.

I was assuming that you mean sponsoring a whole tournament, like Cazoo does. Seeing what a player is wearing might make a person want to buy it. Then they can see the logo.

Well I was referring to sponsoring a tournament, it does seem odd to me that it hasn’t happened. But either, really.

You can see the logo all over sponsored tournaments.

Postby The_Abbott

Holden Chinaski wrote:I hope snooker will never be like this:

(A new look for John Higgins:)

There are a few muppets on the snooker tour.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

If betting sponsorship was banned it would be a problem but it wouldn't cause the same crisis as the tobacco ban in the 2000's. Snooker has more broadcast partners now than at that time when they were almost completely reliant on the BBC especially after Sky Sports stopped covering events in 2004.

Postby Snooker89

I never understood why Alcohol and fast food companies haven't got involved yet and they would be good sponsors. Semiconductor companies like TSMC could be another option.Now that Cazoo have 2 of the big 3 its possible they may also take over the world championship sponsorship but the only thing is they need to change the carpet to make each event different. Blue for the UK, Gold for the Masters and Red for the worlds along with the globes coming back.Maybe also a car as a prize for a 147