Post a reply

Re: Mardy Murphy

Postby Iranu

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Poncy over-privileged remarks from the Benny Hill doppelganger.

Contrast with the comments from David Grace lower down in the article.

“Top player has different opinion than struggling player”

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Iranu wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:Poncy over-privileged remarks from the Benny Hill doppelganger.

There was no difference of opinion between Grace and Murphy stated in the article.

Murphy was saying it was unfair that an amateur could reduce his earnings by defeating him in a snooker match.

Grace was recounting his gratitude at being able to earn some money by cleaning snooker tables.

Postby Iranu

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Iranu wrote:

There was no difference of opinion between Grace and Murphy stated in the article.

Murphy was saying it was unfair that an amateur could reduce his earnings by defeating him in a snooker match.

Grace was recounting his gratitude at being able to earn some money by cleaning snooker tables.

Lol

Postby SteveJJ

Does this mean he will be doing comms for the bbc?

Preventing that would be the only reason to agree with his viewpoint.

It sounds like he feels that he is entitled to an easy first round tie.

Whilst an amateur, Si did meet the criteria for inclusion via the q school OOM. It wasnt as if they picked him randomly. Much better than giving Murphy a bye and him pocketing ranking points for it.

The one thing i don't see mentioned is that that was a better viewing experience for the public than a normal processional last 128 match.

I also don't get the free hit, no pressure bit as Si has limited opportunities to earn a living, find the form to get back on tour, playing a top player in front of a crowd in a triple crown event. Hardly a no pressure situation.

Postby SteveJJ

I also seem to recall he played Bai Langning recently and won. I don't recall him questioning the right of the amateur that he beat on that day to be at the comp in his post match interview on Eurosport.

Postby HappyCamper

just remembered james cahill beat murphy at the welsh open as an amateur too. as cahill got enough points that year to get a pro card for the next.

Postby Prop

SteveJJ wrote:I also seem to recall he played Bai Langning recently and won. I don't recall him questioning the right of the amateur that he beat on that day to be at the comp in his post match interview on Eurosport.

Well, we all know we wouldn’t have heard a peep from him if he’d beaten Si either.

Postby Iranu

Meeting the criteria on the Q School OOM supports Murphy’s point, if anythinf

Postby HappyCamper

Iranu wrote:Meeting the criteria on the Q School OOM supports Murphy’s point, if anythinf

does it buck.

Postby Iranu

HappyCamper wrote:
Iranu wrote:Meeting the criteria on the Q School OOM supports Murphy’s point, if anythinf

does it buck.

Good point.

Postby eraserhead

Iranu wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:

does it buck.

Good point.

All this because Smurph likes the simpsons twitter account :sad:

Postby sundaygirl

SnookerFan wrote:Selby has also weighed in.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/59407192

I don’t really get the argument re Q-School that if a player doesn’t win a tour card wait a year
It’s not like ANY amateur got the chance to play
Mardy’s opponent did earn his place via Q-School by virtue of being a high ranked runner up

Postby mick745

I suppose they are saying you are either a pro player or you're not but a long standing pro who has been in the top 16 for many years and reached a world final should be overcoming an amateur player with no real difficulty.

No problem with top up players filling the draw in my mind.

I wonder what Murphy et al would think if the tour went open again!

Postby SteveJJ

mick745 wrote:I suppose they are saying you are either a pro player or you're not but a long standing pro who has been in the top 16 for many years and reached a world final should be overcoming an amateur player with no real difficulty.

No problem with top up players filling the draw in my mind.

I wonder what Murphy et al would think if the tour went open again!

What like the golf tournament he entered as an amateur? Obviously didn't have any qualms about entering that.

Postby RunningSide

Having seen this mornings press conference sort of understand Murphys point,think more a case of bad timing than mardy. Time for a restructure for next season involving senior players imput, aim to keep snooker on a competitive tour.

Postby gallantrabbit

Nothing wrong with disagreeing with the system although there would be many byes due to covid still. However singling out a player who has just done you is pretty low, especially as he didn't ever use his name properly. The argument that he doesn't have a care in the world is pish because professional or not, he still needs to pay his bills and the fellow comes from China...tickets are a bit cheaper coming from Ireland Smurph. There are times and places and a post match interview after getting beat wasn't the right one.

Postby gallantrabbit

AND...there are 64 professional players plus a few wildcard etc. That doesn't and never will make 128...

Postby gninnur karona

sundaygirl wrote:

I don’t really get the argument re Q-School that if a player doesn’t win a tour card wait a year
Mardy’s opponent did earn his place via Q-School by virtue of being a high ranked runner up

Spot on.

I'm surprised WST haven't issued a response on their website but lo and behold they are quoted in The Guardian. Quote repeated below.

“Si Jiahui earns a place in ranking tournaments this season as one of the leading players on the 2021 Q School rankings. While he may have amateur status, he deserves his place in our events, based on his results. Amateurs play under the same rules as professionals, they can earn prize money and places on the World Snooker Tour based on results. Many elite amateur players like Si Jiahui train and compete full-time in the hope of earning a guaranteed tour place, therefore they are competing under significant pressure with no guarantees. Providing opportunities for the best amateur players is important for our growth as a sport and that is something that Shaun benefitted from during his early days as a player. We have come a very long way as a global sport over the past decade and that has partly been down to the structures we have built both at professional and grassroots level worldwide. For the best young players, the chance to compete on the big stage is a crucial part of their development and the development of the sport as a whole. We respect Shaun’s opinions, but in this case we strongly disagree with his comments.”

Postby mick745

If there are gaps in the draw either players get a bye or draw a player who is so lowly playing them is a good as a bye.

How dare they put in an opponent who is going to compete and offer some resistance for the playing public?

Postby lhpirnie

gninnur karona wrote:
sundaygirl wrote:

Spot on.

I'm surprised WST haven't issued a response on their website but lo and behold they are quoted in The Guardian. Quote repeated below.

“Si Jiahui earns a place in ranking tournaments this season as one of the leading players on the 2021 Q School rankings. While he may have amateur status, he deserves his place in our events, based on his results. Amateurs play under the same rules as professionals, they can earn prize money and places on the World Snooker Tour based on results. Many elite amateur players like Si Jiahui train and compete full-time in the hope of earning a guaranteed tour place, therefore they are competing under significant pressure with no guarantees. Providing opportunities for the best amateur players is important for our growth as a sport and that is something that Shaun benefitted from during his early days as a player. We have come a very long way as a global sport over the past decade and that has partly been down to the structures we have built both at professional and grassroots level worldwide. For the best young players, the chance to compete on the big stage is a crucial part of their development and the development of the sport as a whole. We respect Shaun’s opinions, but in this case we strongly disagree with his comments.”

Yes, except that Q School's format and the Order of Merit (and Q Tour) strongly favours British players, so it's slightly strange they should focus on the 'global' incentive. It's really just because Si Jiahui, Bai Langning and Soheil Vahedi that managed to stay in the UK (I assume a special arrangement perhaps due to covid) that this has anything to do with globalisation at all.

What's more important to WST is actually to fill the draw. You can't get media interest in a first round that doesn't contain the top 9 players (who get byes).

But let's not forget Si Jiahui is a stranded teenager in a foreign country. It's likely he won't see his family for a total of 2 years. Shaun Murphy has repeatedly highlighted the travel problems he's faced. He's actually benifited a lot from being a top player in the last couple of decades - the whole structure is rigged to favour the elite. Just for once, he should recognise that there is a whole pyramid below him who live much harder lives, and support him massively.

Postby The_Abbott

I echo Ronnie's comments. Murphy should perhaps look for another job.. I hear we need more lorry drivers Shaun.

Some of these players are ex pros and are also trying to get back on to make a living. They are more likely living in a cardboard box under a sewer rather than the palace Murphy has.

Postby SnookerEd25

The_Abbott wrote:I echo Ronnie's comments. Murphy should perhaps look for another job.. I hear we need more lorry drivers Shaun.

Some of these players are ex pros and are also trying to get back on to make a living. They are more likely living in a cardboard box under a sewer rather than the palace Murphy has.

Exactly.

Perhaps Murphy had a point about amateurs in a pro’ tournament - perhaps not. But to expand by saying these players ‘don’t have a care in the world’ is staggeringly ignorant.

This smacks of a Tory MP taking away £20 a week from a Universal Credit claimant on the basis of “I suspect they don’t really need it”, whilst simultaneously submitting an expenses claim for a £20 sandwich from Fortnum & Mason.

:hmmm:

Postby Holden Chinaski

The_Abbott wrote: They are more likely living in a cardboard box under a sewer.

Ronnie feeds them.

Postby cupotee

Has any top professional snooker player ever spoken up for and positively tried to promote the amateur game ? It all seems to be eerily me me me with them , not that i’m remotely surprised , just making the point.

Postby lhpirnie

cupotee wrote:Has any top professional snooker player ever spoken up for and positively tried to promote the amateur game ? It all seems to be eerily me me me with them , not that i’m remotely surprised , just making the point.

Generally the top players are too busy telling us how hard they work and that young players don't deserve success because they are too lazy. The reality is that the guys at the top now had a much easier time getting on tour and establishing themselves. That's one of the reasons why they are still dominating. Murphy himself actually qualified for the Masters whilst still not on the top-level pro tier.

Postby Iranu

Many pros have lamented the loss of the amateur game. MJW in particular frequently suggests cutting the tour and having a challenge tour or something that helps amateurs come through.

Few of them seem to put their money where their mouth is in developing amateur tournaments but having said that that’s not really their job.