Post a reply

Class of '92 dominance in 'Triple Crown events'

Postby rekoons

There’s been some talk lately about the dominance of the class of ’92 and the status of triple crown events, so I had some time to check some things.

This is what I’ve come up with: starting from 1992 and ending with 2020 that’s over the course of 29 full seasons there has been at least one player of the ’92 class (Ronnie, Mark, John) in the final of each triple crown event (Worlds, UK, Masters) more than half of the time.

UK: 15 out of 29 finals at least one of them in it (52%), and 14 times a winner = 93% win when in final
Worlds: 17 out of 29 finals at least one of them in it (59%), and 13 times a winner = 76% win when in final
Masters: 16 out of 29 finals at least one of them in it (55%), and 11 times a winner = 69% win when in final

Or overall 44% of all 87 triple crown finals between ‘92-’20 have been won by them as group.

These are just some random thoughts about statistics, not trying to prove anything.

Re: Class of '92 dominance in 'Triple Crown events'

Postby Andre147

More importantly, since each turned professional in 1992, at least one of them has been in a Triple Crown Final, until the end of 2021 that's been the case which is just amazing really.

Postby rekoons

Andre147 wrote:More importantly, since each turned professional in 1992, at least one of them has been in a Triple Crown Final, until the end of 2021 that's been the case which is just amazing really.

according to wikipedia in 2015, '94 and '92 that's not the case :-(
Last edited by rekoons on 24 Nov 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Andre147

rekoons wrote:
Andre147 wrote:More importantly, since each turned professional in 1992, at least one of them has been in a Triple Crown Final, until the end of 2021 that's been the case which is just amazing really.

I'm talking about each season, not the year.

Postby TheRocket

Good stats but I find it very hard to talk about general dominance of the class of 92 when one guy has won 20 and more than the other two combined.

Williams hadnt won a Triple Crown event for 15 years. Higgins last was in 2011. Its primarily the Rocket who has really excelled in the TC events since turning pro in 1993.

Postby Holden Chinaski

TheRocket wrote:Good stats but I find it very hard to talk about general dominance of the class of 92 when one guy has won 20 and more than the other two combined.

Williams hadnt won a Triple Crown event for 15 years. Higgins last was in 2011. Its primarily the Rocket who has really excelled in the TC events since turning pro in 1993.

<ok>

Postby rekoons

Andre147 wrote:
rekoons wrote:

I'm talking about each season, not the year.

I stand corrected :)

Postby rekoons

TheRocket wrote:Good stats but I find it very hard to talk about general dominance of the class of 92 when one guy has won 20 and more than the other two combined.

You are right, Mark's contribution to the class of 92 triple crown haul is meager.

He admits this himself: https://snookerhq.com/2021/09/28/mark-w ... eferences/

Postby Iranu

rekoons wrote:

You are right, Mark's contribution to the class of 92 triple crown haul is meager.

Not really, he’s only two behind Higgins.

The key difference is Ronnie being so far ahead of both.

Postby TheRocket

rekoons wrote:

He is probably a little bit too humble here. His Triple Crown record is pretty close to Higgins'. He also beat Higgins in 4 of their 5 meetings at the Crucible. Its just that Ronnie is far ahead of them.

Postby Iranu

MJW reckons he only “nicked a few tournaments” off Ronnie, Higgins and Hendry.

The guy held the three biggest tournaments and the LG Cup at the same time, something Ronnie and Higgins never did. He beat Higgins in a world final. The guy is too modest about his achievements.

Postby TheRocket

Iranu wrote:MJW reckons he only “nicked a few tournaments” off Ronnie, Higgins and Hendry.

The guy held the three biggest tournaments and the LG Cup at the same time, something Ronnie and Higgins never did. He beat Higgins in a world final. The guy is too modest about his achievements.

I'd say he took away 2 World titles from Higgins (2000 and 2018).

Postby rekoons

Maybe only using the triple crowns isn't very representative. I was gonna use use a much larger data pool with all rankers first, but that's a mammoth task so settled for the triple crowns only... meh

Postby Iranu

rekoons wrote:Maybe only using the triple crowns isn't very representative. I was gonna use use a much larger data pool with all rankers first, but that's a mammoth task so settled for the triple crowns only... meh

Not at all, it’s definitely interesting. I just think MJW is hard on himself. He definitely deserves to be in a conversation with Higgins at least.