Post a reply

Eventual Chinese domination

Postby LC

After the recent success of zhao and bingtao and the plethora of really young Chinese players on tour I can see the total dominance of the top of the game in about 10 years selby Robertson will be 50 and the class of 92 will surely be well past it, trump and Wilson early 40s and there aren’t any young British players of the same age as the Chinese lads doing anything.

I know it’s been said for a while but I can definitely see it happening and it if that was the case would interest in snooker on tv lose viewership in Britain if there where no home players so to speak doing anything

Re: Eventual Chinese domination

Postby Dragonfly

I think Chinese domination will eventually happen. Trump and Wilson are obviously still young outstanding players, but not that young. And I just don't see any gifted young British players at the moment.

Also the likes of Ireland, Canada,and Australia aren't producing any upcoming stars of the future either. Obviously Belgium has Brecel, and Mertens will probably make an impact in time.

So I do feel a Chinese domination is on the cards. I don't mean that in any sort of negative way towards Chinese players. Some of them are wonderful. But it could definitely have an impact on the game if there are no home heroes to support.

Postby lhpirnie

Dragonfly wrote:I think Chinese domination will eventually happen. Trump and Wilson are obviously still young outstanding players, but not that young. And I just don't see any gifted young British players at the moment.

Also the likes of Ireland, Canada,and Australia aren't producing any upcoming stars of the future either. Obviously Belgium has Brecel, and Mertens will probably make an impact in time.

So I do feel a Chinese domination is on the cards. I don't mean that in any sort of negative way towards Chinese players. Some of them are wonderful. But it could definitely have an impact on the game if there are no home heroes to support.

You mean it will have an impact on British supporters. If it causes a further boom in China it would be great for the game, with a huge boost in revenue.

But you shouldn't be too worried. Although WST claim to be pushing for a global game, they aren't prepared to make the reforms to the tour structure necessary to achieve it. All the tournaments are (at least partly) played in the UK, and any professional must come and live here for 9 months each year. That's hugely disruptive and expensive for overseas players, so there will always be a limit on their numbers. Even though Yan and Zhao have done really well, there isn't any overseas player who has acheived their full potential - they will always be 'outsiders' unless the system changes.

There are promising signs in Europe, but it will take some time, perhaps a generation, before it's fully established. At the moment it's really just a few sporadic players with enough family support to practice and play in events. In Britain, there are a few young players who might become top players. Jackson Page is doing better, Paul Deaville impressed on his debut. What all these players need is opportunuties, which will naturally increase if the current elite start to decline, as you say.

Postby gninnur karona

lhpirnie wrote:You mean it will have an impact on British supporters. If it causes a further boom in China it would be great for the game, with a huge boost in revenue.

But you shouldn't be too worried. Although WST claim to be pushing for a global game, they aren't prepared to make the reforms to the tour structure necessary to achieve it. All the tournaments are (at least partly) played in the UK, and any professional must come and live here for 9 months each year. That's hugely disruptive and expensive for overseas players, so there will always be a limit on their numbers. Even though Yan and Zhao have done really well, there isn't any overseas player who has acheived their full potential - they will always be 'outsiders' unless the system changes.

I agree with your analysis.

Is it fantasy to imagine a professional tour with prize money of say around the £35M mark? Or is that a sustainable viable possibility?

is there a risk for WST that if they don't properly push for a global game that someone will fill the void?

Postby lhpirnie

gninnur karona wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:You mean it will have an impact on British supporters. If it causes a further boom in China it would be great for the game, with a huge boost in revenue.

I agree with your analysis.

Is it fantasy to imagine a professional tour with prize money of say around the £35M mark? Or is that a sustainable viable possibility?

is there a risk for WST that if they don't properly push for a global game that someone will fill the void?

Yes, American 9-ball Pool could become the dominant cue sport within 20 years. WST don't seem to look that far ahead, and Matchroom might positively welcome it. We are already seeing the signs, with some snooker players crossing over to pool events, and some major events being staged in the UK.

I don't know about £35M, but definitely we could expand from what it is now, which would address the finances of players lower down the rankings. Unfortunately, with the reliance of betting sponsors, there could be a problem sustaining even what we have now. God knows, we need globalisation and the Chinese market right now.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

I think with Chinese players people tend to only notice the good results and forgot the mediocre ones around it. 2021 saw the Masters and UK wins but overall results weren't much different to recent years with the World Championship being poor. Ding was winning major titles in 2005 so it's not a new thing. It would take a massive leap for Chinese players to dominate and the tour isn't set up for it too happen anyway.

Postby LDS

LC wrote:After the recent success of zhao and bingtao and the plethora of really young Chinese players on tour I can see the total dominance of the top of the game in about 10 years selby Robertson will be 50 and the class of 92 will surely be well past it, trump and Wilson early 40s and there aren’t any young British players of the same age as the Chinese lads doing anything.

Is this one of those spot the deliberate mistake quizzes?