Post a reply

Mark Selby's mental health

Postby mick745

The world champion has tweeted that he's not in a good place at the moment.

As someone who can empathise with these issues i hope he gets well soon.

Mark Selby (@markjesterselby) Tweeted: Just want to apologise to all my friends and family for letting them down. Mentally not in a good place at moment, had a relapse and trying to bottle it up and put a brave face on is not the way. I promise I will get help and be a become a better person. #mentalhealth https://twitter.com/markjesterselby/sta ... 60771?s=20

Re: Mark Selby's mental health

Postby TheRocket

I was surprised to hear this because he looked pretty relaxed this season (on social media as well) and looked like he was enjoying it despite not getting the results. Hope he feels better soon.

Postby Yanfan

Holden Chinaski wrote:He did look very down during the match. I hope he feels better soon.

He did look very down, didn't he? Not like his usual self at all.

Get well soon, Mark. <ok>

Postby HustleKing

I'm sure Mark will pull through like the multiple champion he is <ok>

Postby Dragonfly

I'm sorry to see this. Puts things in perspective. Some things are a thousand million times more important than snooker matches.

I can empathise and understand 100%. I have experience of these situations. And being a millionaire sports personality won't exempt someone from mental health issues.

Of course Mark's family and friends love him. He hasn't let anyone down. Let's hope he is in a better state of mind soon.

Postby SnookerEd25

Well done Mark for speaking openly about this <ok>

I hope he gets the assistance he needs, and can find a good place for himself again.

I would like to remind posters that not everybody who loses a snooker match does so because they are ‘throwing it’, ‘bottling it’, or just not good enough. Professional snooker players are still human beings and, as such, subject to highs and lows and fragile mental health like all of us.

Perhaps when a player loses a to ‘somebody they shouldn’t’, or from a seemingly unassailable position they may be undergoing a significant disruption in their PRIVATE life, but don’t feel strong enough to open up about it on live TV, or under the glare of the spotlight - please try to remember this before posting otherwise.

Thank you. <ok>

Postby orky

Dan-cat wrote:Johnny's comment and subsequent replies have been removed.

I haven't seen the comment or comments from Johnny but the fact they had to be removed is really disappointing from Johnny. I appreciate he's a big O' Sullivan fan and a fan of the more flair/ fashionable players but this thread isn't really about snooker as such. It's about a persons mental health and Johnny making negative comments either portrays his mental age or worse still his hatred. Grow up man.

Postby mick745

Selby seems the sort of person who has found it extremely difficult to speak out about this, which has been reflected in his tweets, so good on him. I think normally he is a private person.

He was born with an ability to play snooker to a very high level and has combined that with hard work, but that doesnt mean he is necessary comfortable with the level of fame and recognition that goes with it.

Laying his vulnerability out like this publicly is hopefully a huge step towards getting better.

Postby vodkadiet1

I hope Selby gets his mind right. Mental illness is never given the attention it deserves.

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet1 wrote:I hope Selby gets his mind right. Mental illness is never given the attention it deserves.

But lately it has received some media attention, in other sports too.

Postby mick745

Reading some of the Twitter replies has brought me to tears, those who are going through similar and those who have come out of the other side, and also those whose family members didnt make it through. Emotional stuff.

And the many many supportive messages.

Postby Holden Chinaski

I remember Ronnie saying how hard it was to talk about mental health issues back in the nineties. He said it was very hard to find someone who would take it seriously. In the snooker world, it was not done to talk about stuff like that. Good to see it has become easier to talk about this stuff now. People like Selby coming out with it instead of pretending nothing's wrong is very important.

Postby The_Abbott

Holden Chinaski wrote:I remember Ronnie saying how hard it was to talk about mental health issues back in the nineties. He said it was very hard to find someone who would take it seriously. In the snooker world, it was not done to talk about stuff like that. Good to see it has become easier to talk about this stuff now. People like Selby coming out with it instead of pretending nothing's wrong is very important.

Which is strange when 50% of the game is mental.

I have never understood this taboo about mental health. Its great people can talk about it now without stigma. On the other hand why do people have to splash it over social media now?

Postby Iranu

Holden Chinaski wrote:I remember Ronnie saying how hard it was to talk about mental health issues back in the nineties. He said it was very hard to find someone who would take it seriously. In the snooker world, it was not done to talk about stuff like that. Good to see it has become easier to talk about this stuff now. People like Selby coming out with it instead of pretending nothing's wrong is very important.

That’s partly why his response on Eurosport was so strange.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Iranu wrote:

I think Ronnie was saying it might help Selby to play with a more carefree attitude, as he does himself these days? To try to enjoy playing the game instead of making it about winning titles? His comment on Selby asking other players for advice was not about asking advice on mental health, it was about Selby asking other players how he could improve his game. Which is a strange thing to do, as Ronnie said.

Postby Iranu

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Iranu wrote:

I think Ronnie was saying it might help Selby to play with a more carefree attitude, as he does himself these days? To try to enjoy playing the game instead of making it about winning titles? His comment on Selby asking other players for advice was not about asking advice on mental health, it was about Selby asking other players how he could improve his game. Which is a strange thing to do, as Ronnie said.

No but he spoke about his mental health generally as well as asking advice from other players. I think Ronnie was framing Selby’s issues in snooker, which is why he was focusing on not taking the game so seriously and sacrificing wins to be ‘happier’. Which doesn’t seem to be what Selby’s struggling with, at least not just that, judging from his tweets.

And I think some people took it to be callous which it probably wasn’t. Maybe just Ronnie projecting his own experiences on to Selby. Just made it come across a bit odd.

Postby SnookerFan

I didn't see what Ronnie said in regard to Selby, so can't really comment on how he was presenting his opinion, or guess what his motives were.

On what has been said in this thread, I don't really see Selby asking other players for advice on how to play as that weird. Players practice with each other all the time. Kind of depends how it's done. I could understand if some players wouldn't want to give tips to their big rivals, but if there are players that are happy to give advice or practice with him, it seems silly not to. Why wouldn't you want to improve your game? It's worth asking anyway, they can only say no if they don't want to do it.

In terms if his mental health, again it's hard because Selby hasn't been specific how these problems are manifesting themselves. Maybe he is finding snooker stressful? He's always been an intense player, one that scrapes through games by any means necessary. Though he's got nothing left to prove, I don't see him being one of those players who turns up and just does whatever. He's always there to win. I don't always find Selby's style easy to watch, but I have always respected his tenacity and will to win. Maybe some time away from snooker is needed? Like I say, he has nothing let to prove and I'm sure he is financially able.

But we don't know. Maybe there are problems away from snooker? Mental Health problems are never going to be solved by just a few words of advice. He should seek help from professionals.

I think we can all say we hope he gets the help he needs.

Postby McManusFan

I like that Selby asks other pros for advice. Who knows more about how to play top level snooker than top snooker players? It's great that he isn't too proud to ask for advice, and it's great that he's now applying that attitude to his own mental well being.

Postby SnookerFan

McManusFan wrote:I like that Selby asks other pros for advice. Who knows more about how to play top level snooker than top snooker players? It's great that he isn't too proud to ask for advice, and it's great that he's now applying that attitude to his own mental well being.

:goodpost:

Postby TheRocket

McManusFan wrote:I like that Selby asks other pros for advice. Who knows more about how to play top level snooker than top snooker players? It's great that he isn't too proud to ask for advice, and it's great that he's now applying that attitude to his own mental well being.

I disagree. If a player wants to ask for advice then he should get a coach which Selby also did. Surely asking your rivals is not the right thing to do and I dont think I've heard that in any other individual sport at elite level.

They are not your enemies and most Snookerplayers get on but they are still the guys you have to play day in day out and if you see weaknesses in your opponents game you rather want to keep it that way and not give them help so that they might beat you the next time.

Postby SnookerFan

TheRocket wrote:

I disagree. If a player wants to ask for advice then he should get a coach which Selby also did. Surely asking your rivals is not the right thing to do and I dont think I've heard that in any other individual sport at elite level.

They are not your enemies and most Snookerplayers get on but they are still the guys you have to play day in day out and if you see weaknesses in your opponents game you rather want to keep it that way and not give them help so that they might beat you the next time.

Snooker is a funny one.

In a lot of sports I'd agree with you. But there seems a different, more familiar vibe with snooker.

Didn't one of the referees once say on Twitter they'd texted a player to apologise for making a refereeing error, and couldn't understand why some people were surprised that a referee would have a player's phone number?

I mean, that does seem odd to me in a professional sport, but these sort of things do happen.

Postby McManusFan

TheRocket wrote:

Obviously other players don't have to help out if they don't want. But it isn't as if it's a one way street, an almost academic style sharing of ideas would only improve the level across the board.

Do you not get similar things in tennis? Players practicing together, playing doubles matches etc.

Postby TheRocket

@SnookerFan
I agree there is a more familar vibe with Snooker but I still believe at the elite level its kinda weird at least. Selby is a freaking 4 times World Champion so he is the hunted and one of the very best you have to compete against to win titles. As an opponent I want to take advantage of any small weaknesses Selby has and there are hardly any already and dont want to make the guy even stronger. I recall that Kyren Wilson once said that Selby texted him and asked what he thinks of his performance. Wilson was smirking when saying that and rightfully so because its Wilson who wants to get to Selbys level and not the other way around.

@McManusFan

In Tennis the guys that elite players practice against are usually much weaker players than them who are not really a threat. And its more like a little match practice to get ready for tournaments where both benefit. They dont give specific tips to each other or talk about their technique. Like Ronnie said there. What Selby does is basicially like if Federer asked Nadal for advice how to improve his backhand.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Selby is rich and has a loving family, it does not make sense for him to have mental issues. :? :hmmm: :|
Mental issues are for poor people with no family to support them.