Post a reply

Who is the best player to have not won triple crown event?

Barry Hawkins
No votes
Marco Fu
24%
James Wattana
24%
Steven Lee
29%
Ali Carter
No votes
Eddie Charlton
12%
Bill Webeniuk
No votes
Kirk Stevens
6%
Karen Wilson
No votes
Other
6%

Total votes : 17

Best Player not to have won a TC

Postby McManusFan

Something we talked about in last night's semi final thread. I've filled the poll with those suggestions. What do you lot reckon?
Last edited by McManusFan on 16 Jan 2022, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Best Player not to have won a TC

Postby LDS

Voted Eddie Charlton, as he's the highest ranked player on my all-time WSC list without any TC wins. I must admit, he was very closely followed by Ali Carter, and there is an argument there that Charlton had less time to win one as the UK didn't really start until the 80s. Hawkins third, slightly further down the list.

Postby gmg

Thorne, Knowles, Foulds, Meo and Darren Morgan all notable absentees. And Stephen Lee and Bill Werbeniuk both misspelt.

Postby Juddernaut88

Pink Ball wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:I voted for Stephen Lee.

You couldn't have, because I also voted for Lee, but he only has one vote.

Weird I thought my vote was casted. I've done it again and hopefully it will be updated.

Postby SnookerEd25

There is no doubt the Tour Championship is a prestige event, but as a fledgling tournament on the Snooker calendar, there are too many contenders to rate a ‘best player never to have won it’.

Postby McManusFan

gmg wrote:Thorne, Knowles, Foulds, Meo and Darren Morgan all notable absentees. And Stephen Lee and Bill Werbeniuk both misspelt.

All good shouts. I shan't update the poll anymore as its resetting the votes. Which one do you think is best?

Postby McManusFan

Juddernaut88 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:The answer is Stephen Lee. Not sure why we're still discussing this.

:goodpost:
Buck Carter!

Isn't that a Michael Caine film?

Postby badtemperedcyril

Charlton was unfortunate insofar he couldn’t play in the UK until 1984 when he was about 54 years of age because prior to that it was only open to UK citizens. His record in the World Championship was of the highest distinction: Runner up twice; losing Semi-finalist 6 times. He also reached the semi of the Masters 3 times.

Postby McManusFan

shanew48 wrote:Jack Lisowski. Surprised he wasn't in the list of options in the poll TBF.

Sure he's very talented but he hasn't really done all that much has he? I know that sounds harsh, and I'm not saying it's easy to get into the top 16, but compare him to other candidates. They've all either won plenty of minor events, or had several deep runs in major events.

Given time Jack might 'earn' this accolade (although I suspect he'd rather win a TC!), but I don't think he's really in the conversation yet.

Postby shanew48

McManusFan wrote:
shanew48 wrote:Jack Lisowski. Surprised he wasn't in the list of options in the poll TBF.

Sure he's very talented but he hasn't really done all that much has he? I know that sounds harsh, and I'm not saying it's easy to get into the top 16, but compare him to other candidates. They've all either won plenty of minor events, or had several deep runs in major events.

Given time Jack might 'earn' this accolade (although I suspect he'd rather win a TC!), but I don't think he's really in the conversation yet.

It depends what the definition is of "best player" as when it comes to talent and ability he would have to be the best in that regard compared to the other candidates surely so that's why I put him up for consideration.

Postby McManusFan

shanew48 wrote:
McManusFan wrote:

It depends what the definition is of "best player" as when it comes to talent and ability he would have to be the best in that regard compared to the other candidates surely so that's why I put him up for consideration.

I take your point, but it does highlight a bugbear of mine. People often go on about x-player being so naturally talented, despite not having won much. Jack Lisowski and until recently Zhao Xintong are great examples of this. But the only objective measure of how talented you are at snooker, is how much you've won. Sure Lisowski might have more potential than say Barry Hawkins, but is he better? Not yet, and he may never be.

Postby shanew48

McManusFan wrote:
shanew48 wrote:
McManusFan wrote:

I take your point, but it does highlight a bugbear of mine. People often go on about x-player being so naturally talented, despite not having won much. Jack Lisowski and until recently Zhao Xintong are great examples of this. But the only objective measure of how talented you are at snooker, is how much you've won. Sure Lisowski might have more potential than say Barry Hawkins, but is he better? Not yet, and he may never be.

Yes, totally understand your perspective in that it's what someone actually does with their natural ability that counts in the end.