Post a reply

Who do you rate as the greater player?

Stephen Hendry
13%
Ronnie O'Sullivan
87%

Total votes : 31

Re: Who do you rate as the greater player?

Postby Iranu

mick745 wrote:At the moment but we've only been measuring athletics records for a very short period of time. In 1000 years time 7ft tall humans with huge leg strides may be commonplace. If people get gradually stronger, faster, taller etc over many generations then over a very long period of time this will have a big change.

Exactly. Human biology isn’t static, and in the grand scheme of things we’re still in the very early stages of development when it comes to recording and measuring speed, strength etc.

Related, this article is mildly interesting regarding a fossil from 20,000 years ago: https://pacificans.com/does-this-20000- ... n-history/

Postby Johnny Bravo

mick745 wrote:At the moment but we've only been measuring athletics records for a very short period of time. In 1000 years time 7ft tall humans with huge leg strides may be commonplace. If people get gradually stronger, faster, taller etc over many generations then over a very long period of time this will have a big change.

Hey that's not fair. If humans get to 7ft tall on average, it will look like we are a completely different species. <laugh>
But even so, you would need 7 footers that are proportionate. Atm, most men that are that tall are not properly proportioned. And they also don't have quite as good coordination of limbs. :chin: :shrug:

Postby Holden Chinaski

Johnny Bravo wrote:

Hey that's not fair. If humans get to 7ft tall on average, it will look like we are a completely different species. <laugh>
But even so, you would need 7 footers that are proportionate. Atm, most men that are that tall are not properly proportioned. And they also don't have quite as good coordination of limbs. :chin: :shrug:

I bet you’re a manlet.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

I bet you’re a manlet.

I'm short, but I'm not into bodybuilding. Too much muscle mass is ugly, especially on a short person.
I'm pretty fit and well built for my size, but I don't have a bodybuilder physique. I don't like it and it wouldn't look good on me. <cool> :spot on:

Postby Acé

Ronnie by a clear mile in fact beating Trump in the world final is worth 2 extra world championships

age difference is 14 years and Trump's in his prime while Ronnie isn't, can you imagine a 46 year old Jimmy White beating Ronnie in his prime at the World Champs? Or 46 year Hendry beating a prime Ronnie?

zero chance, they'd get slaughtered 18-0 because they were a non factor at 46

Were they even playing at 94% pot success at that age across 17 days?

Ronnie has humbled me massively it is not even a question at this point, Hendry has nothing going for him

He is definitely winning #9 I have no doubt

Postby Johnny Bravo

Acé wrote:Ronnie by a clear mile in fact beating Trump in the world final is worth 2 extra world championships

age difference is 14 years and Trump's in his prime while Ronnie isn't, can you imagine a 46 year old Jimmy White beating Ronnie in his prime at the World Champs? Or 46 year Hendry beating a prime Ronnie?

zero chance, they'd get slaughtered 18-0 because they were a non factor at 46

Were they even playing at 94% pot success at that age across 17 days?

Ronnie has humbled me massively it is not even a question at this point, Hendry has nothing going for him

He is definitely winning #9 I have no doubt

:win: :bowdown: :goodpost:

Postby shanew48

Obviously as you rightly point out both players have different attributes towards being considered the greatest, Hendry for his total dominance for 10 years and being the youngest WC and Ronnie for most rankers, most TC's.

In the end everyone will have their own view who they feel is in fact the greatest!

Postby Holden Chinaski

shanew48 wrote:Obviously as you rightly point out both players have different attributes towards being considered the greatest, Hendry for his total dominance for 10 years and being the youngest WC and Ronnie for most rankers, most TC's.

In the end everyone will have their own view who they feel is in fact the greatest!

Take a look at the poll votes. It’s Ronnie.

Postby Prop

It’s quite amusing hearing people clutching at straws so desperately to reframe Hendry’s accolades.

Why is it only now people are putting so much emphasis on Hendry being the youngest World Champion? Because it’s all you’ve got! And suddenly Hendry seems to have lots of new support. Funny that <laugh>

It’s all absolute bullocks. And you know it. You just can’t come to terms with the fact that your most hated player is by far the greatest there has ever been. Hendry’s a firm 2nd place. But Hendry himself knows that 2nd is the same as losing.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Prop wrote:It’s quite amusing hearing people clutching at straws so desperately to reframe Hendry’s accolades.

Why is it only now people are putting so much emphasis on Hendry being the youngest World Champion? Because it’s all you’ve got! And suddenly Hendry seems to have lots of new support. Funny that <laugh>

It’s all absolute bullocks. And you know it. You just can’t come to terms with the fact that your most hated player is by far the greatest there has ever been. Hendry’s a firm 2nd place. But Hendry himself knows that 2nd is the same as losing.

:happy: :hatoff: :spot on:

Postby Andre147

Prop wrote:It’s quite amusing hearing people clutching at straws so desperately to reframe Hendry’s accolades.

Youngest world champion, 5 consecutive titles, plus 8 consecutive years as WN1 can't be ignored.

But, having said all things, and when you put every record Ronnie has got together, there is no doubt Ronnie comes 1st place, Hendry a firm 2nd as you said.

Postby shanew48

I feel that Hendrys accomplishment's put him up there, like I say different people will have different views won't they!

Postby Holden Chinaski

shanew48 wrote:

I feel that Hendrys accomplishment's put him up there, like I say different people will have different views won't they!

Ronnie has won more. Hendry is now second.

Postby Prop

shanew48 wrote:

Put him up where exactly? There’s no room for ambiguity here, the poll specifically asks who is the greater player. There’s no option for “up there”.

We know who you voted for anyway. And we know why. Sad <laugh>

Postby shanew48

Prop wrote:
shanew48 wrote:

Put him up where exactly? There’s no room for ambiguity here, the poll specifically asks who is the greater player. There’s no option for “up there”.

I actually voted for Ronnie, was just weighing up other factors but in the end came down on the side of ROS

Postby Andre147

shanew48 wrote:Your boy is the clear favourite to win SPOTY this year! excited much? Fury 2nd favourite by some distance!

SPOTY doesn't mean much, if anything.

Ok it would be nice if a great sportsman like Ronnie O'Sullivan won it, but he said it himself he wont be fussed if he doesnt.

Postby Johnny Bravo

shanew48 wrote:I feel that Hendrys accomplishment's put him up there, like I say different people will have different views won't they!

Hendry only got those accomplishments cause he faced weak opposition.
White basically gifted him 2 world titles. Hallet crumbled like a cookie and gave him a Masters.
And I could go on.

Postby Prop

shanew48 wrote:
Prop wrote:
shanew48 wrote:

I actually voted for Ronnie, was just weighing up other factors but in the end came down on the side of ROS

Really? Well I have no evidence to disprove that. Plenty of reasons, but I’ll just have to take your word for it.

Postby Prop

Anyone can argue a case for any particular player if they try hard enough. The poll results are what really shows us the broader consensus. And it’s pretty one-sided. It’s not quite as close as some people would like to think.

Postby mick745

There are only three players that can be considered in the goat debate, Davis, Hendry and O' Sullivan.

These three all revolutionised the sport in a some way, no other players can really be said to have done that.

Postby Prop

mick745 wrote:There are only three players that can be considered in the goat debate, Davis, Hendry and O' Sullivan.

These three all revolutionised the sport in a some way, no other players can really be said to have done that.

Alex was instrumental in bringing the sport into the spotlight early on. So he was a very important figure in snooker’s story. But yes, I know what you’re saying. In terms of how a player impacts the sport itself and rewrites the way the game is played, Davis, Hendry and Ronnie were all huge milestones. They all inspired generations of young players to first start playing snooker, but they also inspired those young players to play the game a particular way.

Postby Andre147

Davis made the game look professional like never seen before. Hendry was the pioneer of the attacking game we see today. Ronnie is the flamboyant style with the attacking game, plus a winning machine. One could say Ronnie got all those aspects from past great players right.

Postby TheRocket

I dont think Davis is a GOAT candidate tbh. He is a true legend of the game and he is a Tier 1 player for me alongside the other two but he is also the 'weakest player' in that very elite group. Hendry and ROS both have surpassed him.

Its only ROS and Hendry who are in the position to be called the Greatest and by winning his 7th World title Ronnie should be in the driving seat now.

Postby shanew48

Prop wrote:
shanew48 wrote:
Prop wrote:
shanew48 wrote:

Really? Well I have no evidence to disprove that. Plenty of reasons, but I’ll just have to take your word for it.

Is there any way that the OP or admin can see who voted which way? if they can then that will prove that I am telling the truth.