Who do you rate as the greater player?

Stephen Hendry
13%
Ronnie O'Sullivan
87%

Total votes : 31

Who do you rate as the greater player?

Postby TheRocket

This is the ultimate "Who do you rate as the greater player thread". Since a week has passed since the World Championship and the emotions have gone its time to vote.

Stephen Hendry: 7 WCs, 5 UKs, 6 Masters, 36 rankers, youngest World Champion, won the World Championship and Masters 5 times in a row, dominated a decade, longest World number 1

Ronnie O'Sullivan: 7 WCs, 7 UKs, 7 Masters, 39 rankers, youngest ranking event winner, oldest World Champion, longevity, highest match winning percentage, most maximum and century breaks.

Re: Who do you rate as the greater player?

Postby Wildey

Do we need this thread every few bucking days its getting bucking Boring

Hendry is the Greatest
Or
Ronnie is the Greatest

Who gives a buck.

Postby TheRocket

Wildey wrote:Do we need this thread every few bucking days its getting bucking Boring

Hendry is the Greatest
Or
Ronnie is the Greatest

Who gives a buck.

it is the most heated debate in Snooker similar to Tennis where you have Federer v Nadal v Djokovic. And its the first time ever we've had a thread like this with ROS v Hendry.

Usually people always talk about this in the match threads and other threads where its more like an off topic debate. This one isnt.

Postby Prop

TheRocket wrote:
Wildey wrote:Do we need this thread every few bucking days its getting bucking Boring

Hendry is the Greatest
Or
Ronnie is the Greatest

Who gives a buck.

it is the most heated debate in Snooker similar to Tennis where you have Federer v Nadal v Djokovic. And its the first time ever we've had a thread like this with ROS v Hendry.

Usually people always talk about this in the match threads and other threads where its more like an off topic debate. This is one isnt.

It’s a heated debate between casuals or tribalists.

Everyone has their GOAT. But we don’t need to flog it.

Postby TheRocket

Cloud Strife wrote:Ignore the naysayers TR, I'm sure you already do. This is a great thread, and a necessary one after Ronnie’s recent exploits.

:goodpost:

Its a thread that deserves to exist after we got two players now who share the record for most World title wins in the modern era. This is truly the perfect time to compare them now.

Postby Holden Chinaski

If Higgins, Selby, or Trump had won their seventh world title there would be threads like this as well. There have been far too many GOAT threads in the past but I can understand this one. This year's World Championship was historically very significant.

Postby Prop

Holden Chinaski wrote:If Higgins, Selby, or Trump had won their seventh world title there would be threads like this as well. There have been far too many GOAT threads in the past but I can understand this one. This year's World Championship was historically very significant.

You CAN understand this one? Is that a typo?

Rocket, the debate is dead. Ronnie is the greatest of all time. And I’m so bucking happy to be able to say that :-D

Postby Andre147

Ronnie, clearly now, all things considered.

And yes, if there is a time a thread like this needs to be made, this is the one.

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:Is Vodka unbanned yet?

That’s when this’ll get interesting.

Oh, please. Don’t inflate that mug’s ego more than it already is.

Postby Wildey

Holden Chinaski wrote:If Higgins, Selby, or Trump had won their seventh world title there would be threads like this as well. There have been far too many GOAT threads in the past but I can understand this one. This year's World Championship was historically very significant.

Yea but theres already like threads we do not need more

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:Ronnie, clearly now, all things considered.

And yes, if there is a time a thread like this needs to be made, this is the one.

So all the thread about Ronnie being the Greatest and titles doesent matter over the last 10+ years was a load of rubbish You did not believe any of them the end of the Day Titles has mattered

Ive Actually classed Ronnie the Greatest for the last 6 or 7 years the debate has been closed that long for me obviously his so called fans never believed that until this year

Postby Iranu

I also agree with Wildey.

I say this as a Ronnie fan but this poll feels more like a “let’s finally confirm that Ronnie is the GOAT” circlejerk at this point.

Postby Iranu

Wildey wrote:So all the thread about Ronnie being the Greatest and titles doesent matter over the last 10+ years was a load of rubbish You did not believe any of them the end of the Day Titles has mattered

What I will say regarding this point is: calling out those who spent years extolling the value of numbers in the face of the obvious is a valid position to take, even if the person calling it out didn’t consider those numbers the be-all-and-end-all.

We all know there’s at least one poster who claimed incessantly that certain stats were all that mattered to denigrate Ronnie fans’ opinions. There’s nothing wrong with saying, “Okay, now those same stats are in OUR favour.”

There’s nothing wrong with saying, “You said X mattered more. Well guess what, now X has been achieved and then some.”

Postby Andre147

That's not true Wild. I did say many times I considered Ronnie the greatest when he win his 6th world title.

A 7th just confirms it even more. This thread isn't aimed at those like us who already considered him the greatest, but it's aimed instead at those who didn't and maybe with a 7th world title have changed their opinion on this matter.

And there still might be people out there who consider Hendry the greatest, and that's ok and valid of course.

Postby Cloud Strife

Iranu wrote:I also agree with Wildey.

I say this as a Ronnie fan but this poll feels more like a “let’s finally confirm that Ronnie is the GOAT” circlejerk at this point.

Nothing wrong with that, is there?

Postby Holden Chinaski

99% of this forum said this 7th title would never happen. It was basically only me and SF who said this was hoing to happen. Of course everyone with half a brain already agreed Ronnie’s the GOAT many years ago, but there are always a couple of hammers out there. Or at least one.

Postby mick745

Hendry is the Greatest
Or
Ronnie is the Greatest

Who gives a buck.

Yes well said. Its just a meaningless circular argument, A is the greatest because of p, q, r...NO B is the greatest because of x,y,z. Yawn.

It is not like anything can be proven one way or another, you could say one person has achieved more but even then there are more tournaments now and the tables and conditions are more favourable to big breaks.

Its like Messi or Ronaldo, what does it matter just enjoy watching them both play.

Postby The_Abbott

ROS.

He should have won even more during the 'couldn't be bothered' stage of his career. He is also nicer to watch then Hendry - ROS has more flow

Postby Cloud Strife

Holden Chinaski wrote:99% of this forum said this 7th title would never happen. It was basically only me and SF who said this was hoing to happen. Of course everyone with half a brain already agreed Ronnie’s the GOAT many years ago, but there are always a couple of hammers out there. Or at least one.

Our friend Holden sure does seem to love an 'I told you so', doesn't he. :roll: