Post a reply

Will Mark Selby ever win a tournament again?

Postby Holden Chinaski

It's been 18 months since Selby won a tournament! :sad:

I know we are all praying for him to win something again, but when will it happen? Will he finally do it at the UK Championship? Is Mark in DECLINE?

Re: Will Mark Selby ever win a tournament again?

Postby SnookerFan

He's gone through dry patches before, Selby.

He'll be 40 next year. The older you get, the more you wonder with Selby. He's one of the greats, don't get me wrong. But he's more got more of a methodical, hard-work and determination style. I wouldn't say that he was blessed with the natural talent of some players. Will he reach an age where the level of concentration Selby uses will begin to tire him more?

That's hypothetical though, and he's far from finished. I think he's definitely got another few title wins in him yet.

Postby mick745

Even if he doesnt he'll still be one of the top players for a few more years yet.

Most other players would swap their career achievements with Selby's including Neil Robertson.

Whether good or bad a snooker player's greatness is mostly based on their World Championship record.

Postby TheRocket

Selby relies a lot more on concentration,outlasting opponents than any other top pro. The older he gets the harder it is naturally.

Saying that he should win tournaments for sure but I don't think it will be on a consistent level.

Postby badtemperedcyril

Definitely. I reckon he’s got another world title in him as well. I think people regard him too much as a grinder. Sure he can play that way when the situation requires it but he’s equally effective when he gets into stroke, raking in those long pots and rattling off big breaks.

Postby TheRocket

badtemperedcyril wrote:Definitely. I reckon he’s got another world title in him as well. I think people regard him too much as a grinder. Sure he can play that way when the situation requires it but he’s equally effective when he gets into stroke, raking in those long pots and rattling off big breaks.

He definitely can be a very heavy scorer. Problem is he doesnt do it consistently enough these days. I agree though hes got another World title in him. I predict him to finish his career on 5 World titles, 1 more than Higgins which would be some feat.

Postby SnookerFan

Selby can be quite an attacking player when he wants to be.

Often he does that against opponents he is confident he'll beat though. Often slips into "Selby Mode" quickly, if Plan A doesn't work.

Postby D4P

I would be surprised if Selby didn't win another world title, and he has a decent chance of winning even 2 or 3 more. The event arguably suits him better than it does any other player...

Postby Johnny Bravo

TheRocket wrote:Selby relies a lot more on concentration,outlasting opponents than any other top pro. The older he gets the harder it is naturally.

Saying that he should win tournaments for sure but I don't think it will be on a consistent level.

Completely agree

Postby LC

If he avoids Robertson and trump in most tournaments and he’s been good at avoiding trump, he could easily win more, all the other players are second favourite against him except ROS where it’s still 50/50 depending on how he’s scoring

Postby Juddernaut88

Dragonfly wrote:Selby is a ferocious competitor. This, along with the number of events these days means that yes of course he will win another event.

Players a lot worse than Selby win tournaments. I can't see how this is even a discussion

This thread is more of a joke. I expected more people to have a sense of humour.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Juddernaut88 wrote:
Dragonfly wrote:Selby is a ferocious competitor. This, along with the number of events these days means that yes of course he will win another event.

Players a lot worse than Selby win tournaments. I can't see how this is even a discussion

This thread is more of a joke. I expected more people to have a sense of humour.

<ok>

Postby Iranu

Juddernaut88 wrote:

In fairness it was a joke by Holden. The lack of laughs seems appropriate.