Post a reply

Re: Push shot or not?

Postby acesinc

Iranu wrote:
acesinc wrote:I know that very few people have bothered to read all the words I wrote in my numerous posts here. So I will conclude with just a few words in case anyone "skips to the end": I see no contradiction in your two examples. I agree with the Referee in both cases (as I do 99.99% of the time; Referees are far more accurate than even smart players who on occasion either do not know or even incorrectly believe they do know the ruling for a particular situation).

Thanks for thinking of me.

You're welcome!

And for those who cannot even tolerate my shorter posts, here is a video. It is likely the thinnest snick that I have probably ever played in my entire life and I just happened to have the camera rolling:

https://youtu.be/aUpgUgSpc1o?t=156 (cannot embed because of the time stamp)

If somehow magically, I could recreate this shot EXCEPT to re-position the opening White on exactly the same line but only a fraction of an inch away from Black, and I could magically strike exactly the same way, White follows the same path, stops in exactly the same place, Black still has just enough power to reach the pocket...imagine...

I would expect a Professional Referee to call foul for a Push Stroke. Every. Single. Time.

Postby Holden Chinaski

acesinc wrote:, you imply that I must be ignorant .

Not at all, mate. I just wanted your opinion on that shot. I just included that vid in this thread because it was also about a shot that some think was a push and some think it was not. I thought you couldn't see the video or couldn't open the link when you said you 'don't understand Twitter'. I personally don't know if those shots were push shots or not. Just started this thread because a lot of players and fans argue about push shots and seem confused. Maybe the tone in my posts is not always true to how I feel, you must know English is not my first language so maybe this can happen sometimes. I think your posts are great and I definitely didn't want to offend you. :hatoff:

Postby Dan-cat

I read it all!! :-D

Also - you can cut a ball that is past 90 degrees. I’ve done it. In Colombia actually. The ball was on the cushion, I used a lot of side to bend the ball and it worked. My opponent was not amused. I learnt that shot from a Jimmy White book, that I later found out was written by Clive.

Postby RunningSide

acesinc wrote:
Iranu wrote:
acesinc wrote:I know that very few people have bothered to read all the words I wrote in my numerous posts here. So I will conclude with just a few words in case anyone "skips to the end": I see no contradiction in your two examples. I agree with the Referee in both cases (as I do 99.99% of the time; Referees are far more accurate than even smart players who on occasion either do not know or even incorrectly believe they do know the ruling for a particular situation).

You're welcome!

And for those who cannot even tolerate my shorter posts, here is a video. It is likely the thinnest snick that I have probably ever played in my entire life and I just happened to have the camera rolling:

If somehow magically, I could recreate this shot EXCEPT to re-position the opening White on exactly the same line but only a fraction of an inch away from Black, and I could magically strike exactly the same way, White follows the same path, stops in exactly the same place, Black still has just enough power to reach the pocket...imagine...

I would expect a Professional Referee to call foul for a Push Stroke. Every. Single. Time.

Watched your pot of black many times, allowing for camera angles and slick cloth I've decided it's the best pot I've ever seen.

Postby acesinc

RunningSide wrote:Watched your pot of black many times, allowing for camera angles and slick cloth I've decided it's the best pot I've ever seen.

Wow, now THAT is a compliment! Thanks, RunningSide. That's why I called it Shot of the Century in the title. I hadn't looked at it in quite a while and had no idea it had 20K views (my channel videos usually get 100 or fewer).

I am an engineering/mathematical kind of guy so I actually did recreate the layout best I could on the table to measure. As thin as that appears, it still is nowhere close to a "very fine edge". I measured it at ...drum roll...

75 degrees off the line of the shot. Meaning the contact still could have been far thinner, much more of a very fine edge available. The White deflected about 10 degrees off its line after contact. Hence, it would have been a Push Stroke had White been so close to object. Note how far the White had to move to make the Black travel the distance that it did--about ten times the distance. AND this shot was played on my old cloth, heavy nap, slow playing Strachan Club cloth. Then compare that to the Mark King shot and how far HIS White ball moved compared to Red and his stroke played on a Star with Strachan No. 10 and steel back cushions. If you compare these things and still tell me Mark King didn't push, then there is simply nothing further to discuss.

Thanks, again for the compliment. It is the best I have ever received in my "snooker life". :hatoff: I could set this shot up a thousand times and probably never pot it again. I think I would like to see the Break from Life guy recreate this one and see how he does.
Last edited by acesinc on 10 Nov 2022, edited 1 time in total.

Postby acesinc

Dan-cat wrote:I read it all!! :-D

Also - you can cut a ball that is past 90 degrees. I’ve done it. In Colombia actually. The ball was on the cushion, I used a lot of side to bend the ball and it worked. My opponent was not amused. I learnt that shot from a Jimmy White book, that I later found out was written by Clive.

Hi, Dan. Congratulations on a fantastic shot!

Ahhh, but did you really "cut a ball that is past 90 degrees"? Science would say that you did not. No disrespect, but you actually performed a parlour trick, hocus-pocus, sleight of hand, abracadabra. Put another way, you admirably and perfectly executed a billiard magician's illusion. Perfectly within the Rules of course, and extremely difficult to pull off.

For the uninitiated, the stroke in question would have been a cushion first shot, White is about at a right angle to the object (even a slightly acute angle), extreme side on the White, hit cushion first so the reverse spin makes White kick back off cushion to snick the object and into the pocket. It's a fairly simple shot on an American pool table with its massive pockets but will bring the crowd to its feet on a Snooker table. (Hint: it would be easier to do this with the object on a Baulk side cushion than on the Black side or top or bottom cushions.)

Postby Johnny Bravo

acesinc wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io2VQbVTtG0&t=415s

Yes, Ronnie's shot here is indeed a foul.

Hell no it wasn't, never in a million years. He's playing away from the ball, thus the cue tip will never double touch the white.

acesinc wrote: I get a kick out of Tom Ford inserting his two pence on the subject. Players are notoriously inept at actually understanding the rules of the games they play, and Snooker is not alone in that. Anyone who will take the word of Tom Ford in commentary over the word of any qualified, regularly and routinely competency tested Professional Snooker Referee as to what is the correct call, well...good luck to you. Nothing I can say will help.
_

Any top pro will understand the game a million times better than a ref, most of whom have never made a break over 20 in their life.

acesinc wrote:And for those who cannot even tolerate my shorter posts, here is a video. It is likely the thinnest snick that I have probably ever played in my entire life and I just happened to have the camera rolling:

And yet it would not be a push shot, NEVER EVER EVER ...IN A MILLION YEARS !!!

Postby Andre147

Johnny Bravo wrote:Any top pro will understand the game a million times better than a ref, most of whom have never made a break over 20 in their life.

What has that got to do with anything? So I need to be able to make a 147 to be a top referee? rofl rofl rofl 90% of all referees might not have made a break over 20 or 30 in their lives, but they know the rules inside out, much better than any player, top players included. Even the top players don't know some of the most specific rules, yet the referee does, and that's what we are there for, to apply the rules accordingly.

Your argument is like saying someone doesn't know anything about the Holocaust because they didn't live during that time lol

Postby acesinc

Holden Chinaski wrote:
acesinc wrote:, you imply that I must be ignorant .

Not at all, mate. I just wanted your opinion on that shot. I just included that vid in this thread because it was also about a shot that some think was a push and some think it was not. I thought you couldn't see the video or couldn't open the link when you said you 'don't understand Twitter'. I personally don't know if those shots were push shots or not. Just started this thread because a lot of players and fans argue about push shots and seem confused. Maybe the tone in my posts is not always true to how I feel, you must know English is not my first language so maybe this can happen sometimes. I think your posts are great and I definitely didn't want to offend you. :hatoff:

No worries, mate! I never, ever took offence. That is why I started that specific post (clipped out in your quote above) with "First, the joke answer: ..." I think that Snooker Island is a very funny place to be. And you specifically, Holden, are one of the "funny guys". I try to be a "funny guy" sometimes, but I am just not very good at it! I resolve to accept my title as the "long poster". It suits me well.

I expected that English is a second language to you as I have seen in the past you are from.....Belgium? was it?....forgive me if my memory is bad. I don't know how well you can speak English and I don't know if I would understand you verbally, but your command of the written English language is perfectly fluent and you should be proud of that.

And to the heart of the matter...

Holden Chinaski wrote:...Just started this thread because a lot of players and fans argue about push shots and seem confused. ...

Absolutely agree with you here. I think the players, spectators (in the audience), and viewers (on telly or video) see things differently than the Referee. Of these, I trust the Referee by far the most. Professional Snooker Referees are trained and certified, and progress their way up the ladder within their field, hopefully reaching the pinnacle of refereeing the Final of the World Championship. And all the while, they are competency tested (I think every year, but I am not certain of the frequency) and despite all that, there are always idiots that are calling the ref an idiot. Often, the Referee is the only one in the building that actually understands what is actually going on. I wouldn't be surprised if the Referee training also includes some psychology to help them deal with all the BullS#*t that they obviously have to put up with.

So to be perfectly clear on your query, "I just wanted your opinion on that shot.":

The Original Post, the Mark King shot, that is a Push Stroke no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Your second entry, the Tom Ford shot, I cannot see enough information in the video for me personally to determine if it is a Push or not. If I am magically transformed into being the Referee in that position at that time and it is up to me to make the decision without benefit of anyone else's opinion, no video support or anything else, then I go to the default position of not making the call, no foul. In such case, I would hope for sportsmanship from the Player to call foul on himself/herself if detected. A real Referee in that position uses not only sight but sound as well. A push stroke generally has a sort of dull "thunk" sound to it much like when a kick occurs. A clean stroke, on the other hand, makes a sharp, clear "click" sound as the two balls engage without the cue tip interfering. Visually, the trajectory of the balls tell a vivid story. On that stroke, Ford actually swerved too much; he missed pot in the middle on the Black side of middle pocket indicating that White contacted Red too thin. And if he had accidentally contacted that Red closest to White first (he didn't), then that closest Red would have traveled more toward the other side middle pocket (not straight to the side cushion as it did), and the second Red (the one he was trying to pot) would have traveled a line taking it nearer to the Green pocket.

That information above is an awful lot for a Referee to take in and process in just a fraction of a second's time. We can re-examine a situation time and again with video replay, but the Referee on duty makes a split second decision based on an instant of feedback from his or her senses of sight and sound. It is quite astounding, a shame, and bordering on libel that the Referee is almost always correct in their calls like this, but all the fanboy YouTube commenters trying to protect their hero foolishly call out the ref as an idiot.

But again, Holden, no worries. I never took offense to anything you wrote. :hatoff: If I get myself involved in a thread that heats up with controversy, my tendency is to simply shut up and disappear.
Last edited by acesinc on 10 Nov 2022, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Andre147 wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:Any top pro will understand the game a million times better than a ref, most of whom have never made a break over 20 in their life.

What has that got to do with anything? So I need to be able to make a 147 to be a top referee? rofl rofl rofl 90% of all referees might not have made a break over 20 or 30 in their lives, but they know the rules inside out, much better than any player, top players included. Even the top players don't know some of the most specific rules, yet the referee does, and that's what we are there for, to apply the rules accordingly.

Your argument is like saying someone doesn't know anything about the Holocaust because they didn't live during that time lol

:goodpost:

Postby Juddernaut88

Andre147 wrote:

:goodpost:

Postby SnookerEd25

‘Johnny Bravo in bullsh*t’ alert?

Nevah!

Postby Johnny Bravo

Andre147 wrote:

You analogy is not valid.
Yes, you know the rules better than a player, that's obvious, but you don't understand the physics of the shots better than they do.
If you're hitting away from the object ball, and you're hitting it thin, it can never be a push shot.

Postby Iranu

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Yes, you know the rules better than a player, that's obvious, but you don't understand the physics of the shots better than they do.
If you're hitting away from the object ball, and you're hitting it thin, it can never be a push shot.

A push shot doesn’t mean “double touching” the white.

Postby Iranu

Johnny Bravo arguing about fouls in snooker.

Posts a video about fouls in pool.

Never change, JB.

Postby acesinc

Johnny Bravo wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo52NlpB4FQ&t=1s

(With all due respect to Dr. Dave, who is a recognized and invaluable resource and asset to all table games related to billiards in any way,)

[insert obvious joke here:]

So....by analogy, I can learn the Rules of Baseball by watching a video about the technical aspects of Cricket? :chin:

Postby acesinc

Andre147 wrote:

I was hoping that you could not resist, Andre, but I know you tried real hard. Just got pushed over the edge with that one. <laugh>

Welcome to the fray! Good to have someone else on my side, though I would have fought the good fight alone as long as necessary.

Postby acesinc

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

The bolded passage is contradictory. You are either hitting away from the object ball, OR you are hitting the object ball (thick or thin doesn't matter). You can't do both. There is a term for hitting away from the object ball yet still striking it not using a cushion. It is called a "Masse" shot and it looks something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Sk9_hW ... nel=darrzo

I don't know...somehow, Mark Kings's foul stroke does not even remotely remind me of Jimmy's incredible stroke.

Postby Johnny Bravo

acesinc wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:If you're hitting away from the object ball, and you're hitting it thin, it can never be a push shot.

The bolded passage is contradictory.

I meant if you are not hitting it fully, as in not hitting the full ball, but only a part of it, cutting it thin.

English is not my first language, so tell if you understand what I'm trying to say.

Postby Johnny Bravo

acesinc wrote:

(With all due respect to Dr. Dave, who is a recognized and invaluable resource and asset to all table games related to billiards in any way,)

So....by analogy, I can learn the Rules of Baseball by watching a video about the technical aspects of Cricket? :chin:

The physics of ball contacts in all biliard sports is the same.
Snooker is no different to pool in that regard.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Iranu wrote:A push shot doesn’t mean “double touching” the white.

Than what does it mean ?!

The cue tip can only stay in contact with the object ball for a finite amount of time, and that applies to almost all shots.

Postby Iranu

Johnny Bravo wrote:

The cue tip can only stay in contact with the object ball for a finite amount of time, and that applies to almost all shots.

A push shot as I understand it is when the cue, cue ball and object ball are all in context at the same time.

This may, but doesn’t necessarily, involve a double hit.

I bow do Acesinc’s expertise, though.

Postby acesinc

Johnny Bravo wrote:
acesinc wrote:

The physics of ball contacts in all biliard sports is the same.
Snooker is no different to pool in that regard.

Yes, the Physics of ball contacts is the same for all billiard sports. In my opinion, Dr. Dave is the foremost authority on this, quite possibly the single smartest person in the world in this regard. However, (I don't know for certain but,) it is quite possible that Dr. Dave has never played a game of Snooker in his life. He is not generally regarded as a "Rules Guy" anymore than anyone else. And the Rule of the Push Stroke is what this thread is about. If you want to talk about the Rules of Pool, there is a Topic for Other Cue Sports.

I am no expert in the (many various possible) Rules of Pool throughout the world. One of the nice things about Snooker is that I can go to any Snooker-friendly country in the world and play a fair game of Snooker with a local even if he cannot speak English as I only can (great respect to all multi-lingual speakers) because the Rules of Snooker are the same everywhere. Not true for the Rules of Pool, even as Dr. Dave points out in your video.

In fact, I believe that in many or even most versions of Pool Rules, push shots (Note that I don't say Push Stroke because Push Stroke is a specific definition ONLY in the Rules of Snooker) are legal under certain circumstances. So are jump shots often legal in Pool, though the video suggests that jump shots are illegal in Pool. The point is, as smart as Dr. Dave is, he is NOT an authority to reference in regards to the Rules of Snooker.

Postby acesinc

Johnny Bravo wrote:
acesinc wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:If you're hitting away from the object ball, and you're hitting it thin, it can never be a push shot.

The bolded passage is contradictory.

I meant if you are not hitting it fully, as in not hitting the full ball, but only a part of it, cutting it thin.

English is not my first language, so tell if you understand what I'm trying to say.

I do understand what you are trying to say and to be precise, "hitting away from the cue ball" would be what you do when you are in a Touching Ball situation, simply play away from the ball that the White is touching. The only difference that you and I have is in the definition of the phrase that is used in the Rules of Snooker and that is a "very fine edge". YOU say that a "very fine edge" means that it is perfectly okay to play a fine cut shot. I (and I suspect every certified Referee as well) know that a "very fine edge" means that the shot is played to such a fine edge of the object ball that the object ball cannot in fact be "aimed" anywhere. In essence, it means that 99% of the power will remain in the White ball, only 1% of the power will transfer to the object so that it will not move very far even if White is struck incredibly firm. In other words, if the object travels 1 inch, the White is likely to travel somewhere around 99 inches. Referencing my own video of my fine cut on the Black: the White moved about 10 times the distance that the Black did. It stands to reason that 10% of the power transferred to the object while 90% remained in the White. Clearly, I could have struck a finer edge than I did. Therefore, at very close range, it would have been a Push Stroke. And don't give me nonsense about "he banana'd it!" or whatnot. Again from Jimmy, THIS shot on Pink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-91ZCB ... ewHarrison

What you are suggesting is that what Mark King did is kill the White's speed with top spin and again, I see no resemblance between the fantastic stroke by Jimmy and Mark King's foul shot.

Postby RunningSide

RunningSide wrote:
acesinc wrote:
Iranu wrote:

You're welcome!

Watched your pot of black many times, allowing for camera angles and slick cloth I've decided it's the best pot I've ever seen.

Update, went to club for a beer or 4,showed Ace's pot on black to 3 good players, 100+ guys all fancied recreating shot,set up close as possible on our heated match table, after 30min many attempts at least 6 whites leaving the table, 1 almost taking out 4 pints of beer decided impossible, in conclusion Ace is the Goat,can't believe I didn't film it.

Postby Johnny Bravo

acesinc wrote:Yes, the Physics of ball contacts is the same for all billiard sports. In my opinion, Dr. Dave is the foremost authority on this, quite possibly the single smartest person in the world in this regard. However, (I don't know for certain but,) it is quite possible that Dr. Dave has never played a game of Snooker in his life. He is not generally regarded as a "Rules Guy" anymore than anyone else. And the Rule of the Push Stroke is what this thread is about. If you want to talk about the Rules of Pool, there is a Topic for Other Cue Sports.
The point is, as smart as Dr. Dave is, he is NOT an authority to reference in regards to the Rules of Snooker.

It does not matter if it's pool or snooker.

So even though Dr. Dave might have never played a game of snooker in his life, the physics of balls contacts he explains (in the video I posted) also applies to snooker.
In order for a shot to be a push shot, it automatically implies from a physics point of view that it must be a double hit on the cueball. Otherwise, it would just be a legal shot. And you can always avoid a double hit by aiming at just an edge of the object ball, as King and ROS did.

Postby acesinc

Dummy me. I assumed the title of the thread, "Push shot or not?", was asking for opinions as to whether the video of Mark King's illegal Push Stroke demonstrated an infringement of the Rules of Snooker, specifically Section 3., The Game, Rule 11. b), (v) found on page 27, as defined by Section 2., Definitions, Rule 19., Push Stroke, found on page 14 of the most current publication. Which it does.

I did not realize that this thread instead was intended to be a discussion of the physics behind the contacts, collisions, surface frictions, and moments of inertia of leather and/or synthetic cue tips in conjunction with multiple uniform phenolic resin spheres. I shall rescind my opinion then.

:rules:

By the way, you may also wish to look up Section 3., Rule 11., a), (ii). Double striking the cue ball is not the same thing as a Push Stroke (which, as Iranu correctly posted earlier:
Iranu wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

A push shot as I understand it is when the cue, cue ball and object ball are all in context at the same time.

This may, but doesn’t necessarily, involve a double hit.

...)

The two situations, Push Stroke and double strike are very similar, generally thought of and talked about the same way, but there is a minor nuance in how the penalty may be imposed for each. The Mark King foul stroke was not a double strike, and as far as I have seen, no one has said it was. It was a simple, straightforward Push Stroke by definition. And a correctly called Foul.

Postby Johnny Bravo

acesinc wrote:The two situations, Push Stroke and double strike are very similar, generally thought of and talked about the same way, but there is a minor nuance in how the penalty may be imposed for each. The Mark King foul stroke was not a double strike, and as far as I have seen, no one has said it was. It was a simple, straightforward Push Stroke by definition. And a correctly called Foul.

Then this means that the snooker push shot rule was made up by an utter RETARD, thus the rule must be abolished. It is basically forbidding snooker players from playing a certain type of shot even though from a ball contact point of view there is nothing wrong with the shot they are playing.