Post a reply

Stephen Lee

Postby Cazoo

Stephen Lee’s ban ends in October of next year. Can’t believe how quickly the time has passed, but it’s been almost 11 years since he last played a match on tour. I’ve been thinking about this more lately, what with the Chinese players currently facing bans. Do you think it’s likely that Lee could make a comeback once his ban expires?

Re: Stephen Lee

Postby lhpirnie

Cazoo wrote:Stephen Lee’s ban ends in October of next year. Can’t believe how quickly the time has passed, but it’s been almost 11 years since he last played a match on tour. I’ve been thinking about this more lately, what with the Chinese players currently facing bans. Do you think it’s likely that Lee could make a comeback once his ban expires?

It's been discussed many times. He owes the WPBSA many thousands in legal fees. He's not coming back.

Postby Cazoo

lhpirnie wrote:
Cazoo wrote:Stephen Lee’s ban ends in October of next year. Can’t believe how quickly the time has passed, but it’s been almost 11 years since he last played a match on tour. I’ve been thinking about this more lately, what with the Chinese players currently facing bans. Do you think it’s likely that Lee could make a comeback once his ban expires?

It's been discussed many times. He owes the WPBSA many thousands in legal fees. He's not coming back.

Is there any reason he wouldn’t pay back the fines though? I assume he’s been working over the past 11 years, so may well be able to pay these.

Postby shanew48

Cazoo wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:

Is there any reason he wouldn’t pay back the fines though? I assume he’s been working over the past 11 years, so may well be able to pay these.

Irrespective of whether he has the money to pay the fines or not I doubt he will be too keen to pay WST what he owes them bearing in mind they caught him out and banned him for so long, plus the only players that make decent money are the top 16 players and he wouldn't be good enough these days to make it back into the top 16 so I would say there is zero chance of him even attempting to return to any WST sanctioned events ever again.

Postby lhpirnie

shanew48 wrote:
Cazoo wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:

Irrespective of whether he has the money to pay the fines or not I doubt he will be too keen to pay WST what he owes them bearing in mind they caught him out and banned him for so long, plus the only players that make decent money are the top 16 players and he wouldn't be good enough these days to make it back into the top 16 so I would say there is zero chance of him even attempting to return to any WST sanctioned events ever again.

Yes, given he's resorted to petty crimes to try and get by, it's hard to see him paying £125000 legal fees, with no guarantees of any prize money from the tour (OK, £20000 from the new scheme). If he did somehow come up with the money, it would be tantamount to admitting guilt to hand it over, something he's steadfastly refused to do.

What baffles me is why anyone is even interested in him anymore? I can name about 300 players I'd prefer to watch. The ship has sailed, decades ago.

Postby Johnny Bravo

lhpirnie wrote:What baffles me is why anyone is even interested in him anymore? I can name about 300 players I'd prefer to watch. The ship has sailed, decades ago.

Simple, cause he was nice to watch and had a beautiful cue action.

Postby lhpirnie

Johnny Bravo wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:What baffles me is why anyone is even interested in him anymore? I can name about 300 players I'd prefer to watch. The ship has sailed, decades ago.

Simple, cause he was nice to watch and had a beautiful cue action.

That was 20 years ago. Things do move on...

Postby SnookerEd25

Exactly.

I remember when Gary Wilkinson was good to watache, and had a beautiful cue action.

:gramp:

Postby RunningSide

To be fair he is very fat.