Re: Daniel not happy at all.

Postby chengdufan

What's the gist?
I just get 'Eurosport is unavailable in your region'

Postby shanew48

chengdufan wrote:What's the gist?
I just get 'Eurosport is unavailable in your region'

Ronnie said that Wells will never be good enough to win a tournament, I don’t really agree as he also stated that he would be good enough to reach the semifinals which to me means you are good enough if you are going that deep in tournaments.

I’m sure nobody saw Jordan Brown winning a tournament but he did so I’d say never say never.

Postby SnookerFan

Though I could understand Wells not being happy with Ronnie's remarks, the best thing to do is go out there, start performing and prove him wrong.

Postby McManusFan

Here's the bits Daniel said for those that can't access the site:

"I’m a bit disappointed that I have to be talking about that now,’ Wells told The Metro. "I’ve come off the back of a few decent results and I’d rather be talking about that, but if I’m asked for an opinion, I’ll give it.
"I think there was a better way of saying what he said. If that’s his opinion then he’s entitled to it, but the way it came across was as a bit of a personal attack. It’s not the first time it’s happened, not to me but to other players.

"I didn’t take too kindly to the numpty business. I don’t think it needs to happen and it’s disappointing when it does because everyone loves Ronnie for what he does on the table and some stuff off the table. He can be funny, but there’s a line you can cross and I think he crossed it.
"After I beat Judd because I was feeling elated and instantly I was messaged about what Ronnie was saying. It was quite negative and quite humiliating because I’ve got family and friends watching who are trying to believe in me.
"What he says has a lot of power because he is the best player of all time, so when he makes a point people take it as gospel. It’s damaging when he’s making these kinds of points, some people might not be in a fit state to deal with them," he continued. "I think he should engage his brain a bit more and think about other people."

"These people may be going through difficult periods, in snooker and in life. Then they’ll have people coming up to them saying, 'did you hear what Ronnie said about you, that you’re not good enough?' Having to deal with that… I wish he’d think about that a bit more."

Postby Dragonfly

We all know by this stage that although Ronnie is an incredible player when he opens his mouth a lot on nonsense spews out.

This time is no different. He says Wells could reach semi finals but no further. What's wrong with that. Plenty of players go through entire careers without reaching a final. But if they can make a living reaching quarters and semis then good luck to them.

If all the semi and quarter finals standard players all packed up and went playing part time the sport would collapse.

Ronnie doesn't think things through very well.

Postby mantorok

I'm with Daniel on this one, I think Ronnie was lacking a lot of professionalism there (although this isn't exactly a surprise to anyone), it doesn't matter if what he says is true or not, when the best player to ever play the game starts saying you're not good enough to win then it's going to be deflating, it could lead your mind down a rabbit hole that would be considered unhealthy for his self-esteem.

Postby SnookerFan

mantorok wrote:I'm with Daniel on this one, I think Ronnie was lacking a lot of professionalism there (although this isn't exactly a surprise to anyone), it doesn't matter if what he says is true or not, when the best player to ever play the game starts saying you're not good enough to win then it's going to be deflating, it could lead your mind down a rabbit hole that would be considered unhealthy for his self-esteem.

People who are defending Ronnie will say he was asked a question, and gave an honest assessment. He didn't sugar coat it.

Doesn't mean he's correct, though.

And even if he is correct, and Wells never wins a ranking event, is it really up to him to say whether he should turn pro or not.? Seems an odd thing for him to advise. Wells had a decent run in a tournament, proving he wasn't some mug. It's not like he gets spanked every time he plays. He'll make a decent living out of the game, even if he doesn't amass a huge amount of trophies.

Ronnie tends to assume that if you're not Higgins, Selby or Judd, you're a "numpty". If he's not playing somebody in the top-16, it bores him. So he sometimes comes out with opinions that aren't particularly thought out.

Postby Iranu

I feel like this was an example of Ronnie’s heart being in the right place but his comments misguided, rather than the numpty comments and the “lose an arm” comments which were just plain rude.

And when Wells beat Judd, Ronnie did say that you can’t make excuses for Judd you just have to credit Wells who played better.

Postby SnookerFan

Scooper wrote:Maybe it’s reverse psychology - maybe Ronnie wants him to win, so he’s riling him up to make him more determined.

I don't think Ronnie puts that much thought into the stuff he said, if we're honest with ourselves.

Postby Holden Chinaski

The_Abbott wrote:Eurosport "expert" Ronnie O'Sullivan rofl

He's not an expert? He knows more about snooker than most.

Postby The_Abbott

Holden Chinaski wrote:

he is one of the worst pundits ever

Postby D4P

IIRC, Ronnie was asked what advice he would give Daniel, and Ronnie responded by honestly stating what advice he would give Daniel. Ronnie has focused a lot of his latter-stage career on finding a balance between snooker and other things in life in ways that allow him to maintain sanity and happiness while still playing snooker at least part-time, and it sounded to me as if the advice he stated for Daniel was essentially aimed at achieving the same balance.

From Ronnie's perspective, Daniel isn't good enough at snooker to warrant investing himself into snooker full-time, as this would not produce much on the snooker side while simultaneously taking away from the enjoyable things that Daniel might be able to do outside of snooker. Ronnie's point was that, if Daniel can get some joy of out snooker by playing part-time, while also having time for an enjoyable life outside of snooker, then Daniel would be better off being a part-time player than being a full-time player in ways that wouldn't achieve much in snooker while also not leaving him much of a life outside of snooker.

That sounds like reasonable advice to me, especially for a 34-year old player who has averaged around 20,000 in prize money over the past 15 seasons...

Postby HappyCamper

this should remain as a one page thread. it's not good enough to be two pages.

Postby SnookerEd25

At this rate, it’s going to go to a second page :hmmm:

Postby Alex0paul

Daniel is traveling tonight on a plane
I can see the red tail lights heading for Spain
And I can see Daniel waving goodbye
Oh it looks like Daniel, must be the clouds in my eyes
They say Spain is pretty though I've never been
And Daniel says it's the best place that he's ever seen
He should know, he's been there enough
Oh I miss Daniel, oh I miss him so much, oh
Daniel my brother you are older than me
Do you still feel the pain of the scars that won't heal?
Your eyes have died but you see more than I
Daniel you're a star in the face of the sky
Oh Daniel my brother you are older than me
Do you still feel the pain of the scars that won't heal?
Your eyes have died but you see more than I
Daniel you're a star in the face of the sky
Daniel is traveling tonight on a plane
And I can see the red tail lights heading for Spain
And I can see Daniel waving goodbye
Oh it looks like Daniel, it must be the clouds in my eyes
Oh God it looks like Daniel, must be the clouds in my eyes

Postby shanew48

The_Abbott wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

Do you mean because he is illiterate? To be fair most snooker players are but he obviously knows what he’s talking about with regards to shot selection etc but just doesn’t articulate it in the best way sometimes I guess.

Postby shanew48

D4P wrote:IIRC, Ronnie was asked what advice he would give Daniel, and Ronnie responded by honestly stating what advice he would give Daniel. Ronnie has focused a lot of his latter-stage career on finding a balance between snooker and other things in life in ways that allow him to maintain sanity and happiness while still playing snooker at least part-time, and it sounded to me as if the advice he stated for Daniel was essentially aimed at achieving the same balance.

From Ronnie's perspective, Daniel isn't good enough at snooker to warrant investing himself into snooker full-time, as this would not produce much on the snooker side while simultaneously taking away from the enjoyable things that Daniel might be able to do outside of snooker. Ronnie's point was that, if Daniel can get some joy of out snooker by playing part-time, while also having time for an enjoyable life outside of snooker, then Daniel would be better off being a part-time player than being a full-time player in ways that wouldn't achieve much in snooker while also not leaving him much of a life outside of snooker.

That sounds like reasonable advice to me, especially for a 34-year old player who has averaged around 20,000 in prize money over the past 15 seasons...

But you’re working on the presumption that Daniel has plenty of other things outside of snooker that he wants to be doing instead of playing snooker? Perhaps he wants to play snooker full time as it’s kind of like his identity and he just loves the game that much, if that is the case then you can see why he would be unhappy with the comments.

Postby shanew48

The_Abbott wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

Can you elaborate on why he is one of the worst pundits ever?