Post a reply

list of professional snooker results

Postby bluelagoon

I require a comprehensive list of all professional snooker results of all time in a format such as CSV or Excel. It is too difficult to manually copy and paste this information from either Cuetracker or Snookerorg.

The data I require includes the names of Player 1 and Player 2, the match result, and the date on which the match was played.

Would anyone happen to possess such a list?

Re: list of professional snooker results

Postby lhpirnie

bluelagoon wrote:I require a comprehensive list of all professional snooker results of all time in a format such as CSV or Excel. It is too difficult to manually copy and paste this information from either Cuetracker or Snookerorg.

The data I require includes the names of Player 1 and Player 2, the match result, and the date on which the match was played.

Would anyone happen to possess such a list?

Yes, I have them in JSON format, along with all the amateur results I have been able to find. It's what I use for my Elo ratings:

http://www.snookerlewis.com

Postby bluelagoon

lhpirnie wrote:Yes, I have them in JSON format, along with all the amateur results I have been able to find. It's what I use for my Elo ratings:

This was exactly my idea: To create an Elo or Glicko ranking based on all historical snooker results. But if you've already done that, then I can just visit your website from time to time ;-)

Would it still be possible to get the list? :bowdown: You apparently created an Elo list. Then maybe I could try a Glicko list and we could see if there are big differences.

I would also find comparative rankings quite interesting, where you could see the biggest differences between the money and Elo or Glicko rankings. Maybe we could even start our own thread on the Elo/Glicko topic here in the forum, where we could present and evaluate the changes of active professionals after each tournament.

Postby lhpirnie

bluelagoon wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:Yes, I have them in JSON format, along with all the amateur results I have been able to find. It's what I use for my Elo ratings:

This was exactly my idea: To create an Elo or Glicko ranking based on all historical snooker results. But if you've already done that, then I can just visit your website from time to time ;-)

Would it still be possible to get the list? :bowdown: You apparently created an Elo list. Then maybe I could try a Glicko list and we could see if there are big differences.

I would also find comparative rankings quite interesting, where you could see the biggest differences between the money and Elo or Glicko rankings. Maybe we could even start our own thread on the Elo/Glicko topic here in the forum, where we could present and evaluate the changes of active professionals after each tournament.

My ratings use all available amateur results as well, but use a simple Gaussian Elo formula. I do plan to try out other algorithms and adjust the K factor, but it will have to wait until after the season. If you only use professional results, there might be some differences, especially when new players come in each season. That's be done by others, for example:

https://snooker-predictions.com/rankings.html

My motivation was to implement a global ranking system, because I believe we need to move away from the closed 'tour card' model in snooker, to be more inclusive and global, and incentivise amateurs to play in more events.

For me, it's not about gambling predictions - I never gamble. But I also needed some kind of measurement of player strengths for analysis, and to make realistic demos of the tournament formats you can find on the website. I've got some new things planned, including suggestions from people on SnookerIsland, on the thread 'New Ideas for Snooker'.

The code is implemented in Java and Python, and the website uses Angular. I'd be happy to send my code if that's any help. Send me an e-mail.