Post a reply

Doug Mountjoy

Postby Dan-cat

I finally got around to watching the documentary about him today and it's quite, quite brilliant.

'He was a world champion in the making, and he would have been world champion... but Steve Davis came along, and he was a problem' Ray Reardon.

Beautifully filmed and edited, and some incredible archive footage that I haven't seen. Highly recommend. A fitting biography to a great player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB0btTxakSA

Re: Doug Mountjoy

Postby Dan-cat

The story of his comeback after dropping out of the top 16 with coaching from Frank Callan and his 'Drill' methodology is my favourite snooker story.

Postby badtemperedcyril

The documentary was exceptionally well made. I’ve watched it 2 or 3 times now. Reardon’s contributions to such programmes are always great. Wales certainly produced some wonderful players — the famous quartet from the valleys, I suppose, would be Ray, Terry, Doug and Cliff Wilson — they would’ve played one another hundreds of times in different competitions and exhibition matches. All legends in their own way.

Postby Dan-cat

badtemperedcyril wrote:The documentary was exceptionally well made. I’ve watched it 2 or 3 times now. Reardon’s contributions to such programmes are always great. Wales certainly produced some wonderful players — the famous quartet from the valleys, I suppose, would be Ray, Terry, Doug and Cliff Wilson — they would’ve played one another hundreds of times in different competitions and exhibition matches. All legends in their own way.

Ray truly is a vampire! Seems to go on forever and in excellent fettle.

Postby Iranu

I thought a few of the interviews were pretty perfunctory to be honest.

A great story that could easily have been 30 minutes longer. Still enjoyed it though.

Postby Dan-cat

Iranu wrote:I thought a few of the interviews were pretty perfunctory to be honest.

A great story that could easily have been 30 minutes longer. Still enjoyed it though.

My love for Doug may have coloured my review.

colour me Doug Mountjoy!