Post a reply

2000 World Seniors Masters

Postby BringBackTonyDrago

I was wondering if anyone knows of any footage anywhere online or if anything can be purchased to view all the matches from this tournament. Each match was only one frame and had a 16 player field. A few names in there I wanted to see. The one frame format over two days seems quite cute. Anyway I hope anyone can help. Merci in advance.

Re: 2000 World Seniors Masters

Postby SnookerEd25

ESH is underplaying his own contribution; I taped it from Sky back in the day, it was he who performed the alchemy of getting an old VHS tape onto YouTube.

I think the only match they didn’t show was a war of attrition in which the 71 year old Eddie Charlton surprisingly outlasted Tony Knowles, some 26 years his junior - and younger then than the Class of 92 are now!)

Postby badtemperedcyril

SnookerEd25 wrote:ESH is underplaying his own contribution; I taped it from Sky back in the day, it was he who performed the alchemy of getting an old VHS tape onto YouTube.

I think the only match they didn’t show was a war of attrition in which the 71 year old Eddie Charlton surprisingly outlasted Tony Knowles, some 26 years his junior - and younger then than the Class of 92 are now!)

Steady Eddie had the stamina of an ox, even as a septuagenarian.

Postby gmg

SnookerEd25 wrote:ESH is underplaying his own contribution; I taped it from Sky back in the day, it was he who performed the alchemy of getting an old VHS tape onto YouTube.

Yes, annoying that the TK match was the only one that didn't get shown. I remember that each match was available to watch live on a dedicated website at the time it was played but very few people are likely to have watched it as internet speeds were so much slower back then. Peter Bainbridge oversaw this venture and I tried to contact him via the RAC Club a few weeks ago to ask if there was any way of getting hold of the full matches but haven't heard back from him. I do have some good photo's from this event, though, and some nice articles too. This was supposed to be a launch event for a full blown seniors tour and a Seniors World Championship reached such an advanced stage that it actually appeared in Sky TV listings but was sadly cancelled at late notice due a lack of WPBSA sanctioning and sponsors. The schedules were instead filled with the highlights package of the launch event that is currently on Youtube.

Postby BringBackTonyDrago

Wow so I really wanted to see Eddie Charlton match and that’s the whole reason I wanted to see this and I watched the whole thing and when I resales it slipped that match I was confused and thought maybe it will be added in somewhere when it wasn’t. Was a great watch not the best of break building but wasn’t expecting that anyway. Really wish I could have seen EC versus TK though. :( abut upset about that tbh.