Post a reply

Re: New Season Starting Soon

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerFan wrote:https://wst.tv/2023-24-season-starts-with-betvictor-championship-league/

Yay! :-)

I put the wrong smiley.

I meant to put this. :|

Postby SnookerFan

McManusFan wrote:WST have saved summer yet again.

Surprised Ronnie has entered this given his recent comments.

I'll probably regret asking, but what were his recent comments?

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:

I dare say he said something about getting the old trunks on, lazing by the pool…

Postby McManusFan

SnookerFan wrote:

Something about mainly playing in the overseas events only this season.

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerFan wrote:Will Graeme Bott be fixed? That's the question.

Who needs botty when we got Judders.

Postby mantorok

Juddernaut88 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Will Graeme Bott be fixed? That's the question.

Who needs botty when we got Judders.

It’s a fair point. But Botty has a larger Twitter following to worry about.

Postby SnookerFan

McManusFan wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Something about mainly playing in the overseas events only this season.

Oh that.

Postby The_Abbott

theres still time for him to withdraw.

Postby SnookerFan

Didn't he basically say that he'd only appear in the overseas events, but he'd make the exceptions of the triple crown events, the ITV tournaments as they're for higher ranked players and the Home Nation events as he works for Eurosport.

So, he's essentially entering most tournaments? rofl

The Championship League is about the only thing he didn't name as an exception.

Postby lhpirnie

The_Abbott wrote:

It will depend on his exhibition schedule, as always. With such a long tournament, it's always problematic. If WST can't match the days he offers, he'll probably cancel.

Postby D4P

The_Abbott wrote:

At the very least, he'll presumably withdraw if he makes it past Stage 1...

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Don't mind this version of the Championship League. It serves a purpose which is more than can be said about the other Championshit League.

Postby LDS

Yes, in all seriousness, I actually quite like this weird Championship League stuffed in the middle of snooker downtime. It always has an interesting line-up, in a Steve Davis sense of interesting, and you can get an opportunity to watch some lower ranked players over several match-ups against people they likely rarely play, giving me a much greater appreciation for their all round skills.

Postby Juddernaut88

I still don't understand why they need to have 2 championship leagues in the same season.

Postby SnookerFan

Juddernaut88 wrote:I still don't understand why they need to have 2 championship leagues in the same season.

I wish they'd do away with the whole thing, to be honest.

It only really existed to suck up to the betting sponsors. But that's when it was stuck out on betting websites, and there wasn't any attention drawn to it. And it didn't really matter. Now there's several of them in a season. Some of them have even been ranking events. I don't understand the WST's big boner about them. Are they a bit cheaper to host than proper tournaments? I don't know.

I can understand that they expanded it a bit when Covid was a thing, and a lot of Chinese tournaments weren't happening and the players needed earning opportunities. Even managed to get it on ITV 4.

But the world's moving on now, and the Chinese events are coming back. There's really no benefit to the Championshit League. Last time they had one, you had to have some divvy App that nobody has just to watch it. And when they do put it on TV, it's on low-key television channels that most people probably don't even know exist.

A few of us anoraks might dip in and out of it, if it's on Viaplay or whatever it's called now, but even we're not watching the whole lot of it. I suspect a lot of us aren't watching any of it at all, let alone the general television viewers who don't know it exists. It doesn't even let fans in to watch it.

There must be better ways of keeping the players busy without keep resorting to this bullocks every few months.

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerFan wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:I still don't understand why they need to have 2 championship leagues in the same season.

I wish they'd do away with the whole thing, to be honest.

It only really existed to suck up to the betting sponsors. But that's when it was stuck out on betting websites, and there wasn't any attention drawn to it. And it didn't really matter. Now there's several of them in a season. Some of them have even been ranking events. I don't understand the WST's big boner about them. Are they a bit cheaper to host than proper tournaments? I don't know.

I can understand that they expanded it a bit when Covid was a thing, and a lot of Chinese tournaments weren't happening and the players needed earning opportunities. Even managed to get it on ITV 4.

But the world's moving on now, and the Chinese events are coming back. There's really no benefit to the Championshit League. Last time they had one, you had to have some divvy App that nobody has just to watch it. And when they do put it on TV, it's on low-key television channels that most people probably don't even know exist.

A few of us anoraks might dip in and out of it, if it's on Viaplay or whatever it's called now, but even we're not watching the whole lot of it. I suspect a lot of us aren't watching any of it at all, let alone the general television viewers who don't know it exists. It doesn't even let fans in to watch it.

There must be better ways of keeping the players busy without keep resorting to this bullocks every few months.

:goodpost:

Postby HappyCamper

they're two essentially unrelated and entirely different competitions that happen to share a name for some reason.

and it's not even a good name.

Postby Iranu

I think there’s a place on the tour for a tournament or two that are basically paid match practice with a format that means players aren’t sitting on their bottom until the next one after one loss, particularly if it’s in the down season.

Obviously the CLs should be ranking, though.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:I think there’s a place on the tour for a tournament or two that are basically paid match practice with a format that means players aren’t sitting on their bottom until the next one after one loss, particularly if it’s in the down season.

Should be? :chin:

Postby SnookerFan

I guess it's just frustrating that there's a lot more of them nowadays, than the one in January/February that there used to be.

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerFan wrote:I guess it's just frustrating that there's a lot more of them nowadays, than the one in January/February that there used to be.

Agreed.

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:I think there’s a place on the tour for a tournament or two that are basically paid match practice with a format that means players aren’t sitting on their bottom until the next one after one loss, particularly if it’s in the down season.

Should be? :chin:

I’m gonna pretend that was deliberate to annoy you, rather than a typo.