Post a reply

The most impressive World Championship wins

Postby Holden Chinaski

I would like to know what you guys think the most impressive runs at the World Championship have been. I will take the answers in this thread and make a poll later.

For me it has to be Luca. To beat MJW (3 time World Champ), Ronnie (7 time World Champ and GOAT), the player of the tournament (Si), and Mark Selby (4 time World Champ) in the final ... It's hard to beat that in my opinion, especially when you know Luca is only 28 and never won a match at the Crucible before.

Not only did he beat some of the absolute best players of all time, he did it by playing a very attacking game from the first match until the last. He also had the greatest comeback at the Crucible ever, winning against Si after being nine frames behind. Beating Ronnie and Selby is obviously very impressive, but I find the fact that Luca beat Si very impressive as well. Si was on fire during this tournament and it looked like he was on his way to win the whole thing.

What do you guys think have been the most impressive World Championship wins? I'm talking about the whole tournament, not just the finals.

Re: The most impressive World Championship wins

Postby Iranu

Holden Chinaski wrote:I would like to know what you guys think the most impressive runs at the World Championship have been. I will take the answers in this thread and make a poll later.

For me it has to be Luca.

You surprise me

Postby Holden Chinaski

Iranu wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:I would like to know what you guys think the most impressive runs at the World Championship have been. I will take the answers in this thread and make a poll later.

You surprise me

STFU Iranu.

Postby SnookerFan

Yes, I was going to say Bingham if we're basing it entirely on who he beat on the way there. That was a hard run. And don't forget, he was hardly favoured pre-tournament.

If we're basing it on who played the best snooker throughout the tournament, Ronnie 2008 would take some beating.

Postby Iranu

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Iranu wrote:

You surprise me

STFU Iranu.

Reported.

Postby SnookerEd25

Iranu wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Iranu wrote:

You surprise me

STFU Iranu.

Reported.

:lol:

Postby Womble

Luca's this year for me as well. Very impressive. But I want to see how he gets on next season. Will he be able to keep it up? (matron) Regarding further World Championship wins, he may end up just being a Dott or a Doherty. One and done. Who knows?

Postby mantorok

I can't remember a more impressive win, so I'm going to say Luca's this year was it, not only did he beat an impressive roster of players but he did it without compromise. Standout moments for me:

- The manner in which he trounced ROS from a big deficit, without sacrificing his natural game
- The comeback against Si, from what appeared to be an insurmountable deficit, again without sacrificing his game
- To beat Selby in a WC final, who towards the latter stages of the match was threatening to overtake and clinch the title, he withstood a barrage, AGAIN WITHOUT SACRIFICING HIS NATURAL GAME

That's 3 massive occasions where most players would've switched to a plan B, he didn't, now whether it was because he was full of belief or whether he never even considered a plan B, either way to do that in ANY match, ANY tournament let alone the WC is really, really hard to do as a player, and don't get me wrong his match-play was decent too, it wasn't all about blowing his opponents off the table.

To me that shows some serious mental resilience, now maybe he really did just think "buck it" and tried to disregard the situation, no-one will probably know, but anyhow I don't think I've been more impressed with how he just owned the rubbish out of his game and his opponents.

All that after 15 minutes practice, which if true, well then I've underestimated his talent.

Postby mantorok

Other than that I would say that ROS 2013 could up there too, I would also argue that there won't be any other player to achieve that kind of feat again.

EDIT: Yeah, and he should've taken a sabbatical last season then maybe he could've done the same with his 8th rofl

Postby Holden Chinaski

mantorok wrote:I can't remember a more impressive win, so I'm going to say Luca's this year was it, not only did he beat an impressive roster of players but he did it without compromise. Standout moments for me:

- The manner in which he trounced ROS from a big deficit, without sacrificing his natural game
- The comeback against Si, from what appeared to be an insurmountable deficit, again without sacrificing his game
- To beat Selby in a WC final, who towards the latter stages of the match was threatening to overtake and clinch the title, he withstood a barrage, AGAIN WITHOUT SACRIFICING HIS NATURAL GAME

That's 3 massive occasions where most players would've switched to a plan B, he didn't, now whether it was because he was full of belief or whether he never even considered a plan B, either way to do that in ANY match, ANY tournament let alone the WC is really, really hard to do as a player, and don't get me wrong his match-play was decent too, it wasn't all about blowing his opponents off the table.

To me that shows some serious mental resilience, now maybe he really did just think "buck it" and tried to disregard the situation, no-one will probably know, but anyhow I don't think I've been more impressed with how he just owned the rubbish out of his game and his opponents.

All that after 15 minutes practice, which if true, well then I've underestimated his talent.

Great post. :ok:

Postby Pink Ball

It depends what you're looking for.

Everyone Brecel played came quite close to beating him, Ronnie O'Sullivan and Si Jiahui definitely should have, so if you're looking for someone who crushed the tournament, he's not your guy. Steve Davis in 1989 and Stephen Hendry in 1993 were unstoppable. Ronnie O'Sullivan was unbelievable in 2004 aside from the match against Barry Pinches in round two.

If you're talking about quality of opposition, he's definitely up there. Hendry in 1999 would be too.

If you're talking about style and looking for the biggest roller-coaster of a world championship, I think he has to win overall.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Pink Ball wrote:It depends what you're looking for.

Everyone Brecel played came quite close to beating him, Ronnie O'Sullivan and Si Jiahui definitely should have, so if you're looking for someone who crushed the tournament, he's not your guy. Steve Davis in 1989 and Stephen Hendry in 1993 were unstoppable. Ronnie O'Sullivan was unbelievable in 2004 aside from the match against Barry Pinches in round two.

If you're talking about quality of opposition, he's definitely up there. Hendry in 1999 would be too.

If you're talking about style and looking for the biggest roller-coaster of a world championship, I think he has to win overall.

Quality of opposition is the main thing I'm talking about. Style of play is another thing.