Post a reply

Re: Egg on face time

Postby Monique

SnookerFan wrote:I think the fact that Ali Carter was so knackered when he played in his World Final raises questions as to his stamina to win the whole event. At the same time, Ali Carter had never beaten Ronnie in something like 10 attempts at that point. Has he ever beaten Ronnie since? I think if he'd slept for a fortnight then had that game, he'd still not have beaten Ronnie.

Ali suffers from crohn disease and although he's a lot better than a few years ago and the disease has been stabilised, it remains a debilitating condition. Indeed in might affect his stamina. I remember how totally done he was in the WC 2007 quarters, he was leading Selby rather comfortably but lost that match in the last (evening) session when Selby blatantly "slow played" on Ali's tiredness.

Postby Monique

Sorry, I seem to have a lot of trouble this morning with double and trebble posts. Unrealiable wifi connexion, micro disconnexions and then pages loaded/posted again. Any mod care to delete the doubles/trebbles? Thanks.

Postby SnookerFan

HugoDrax wrote:he is ROSs bunny and I think he is resigned to this. I think the one match that sticks in my mind was the NIT where he was so close to winning but ROS did him again..............................anybody care to confirm for me. :chin:

The term Bunny. I've never heard that, apart from on here. Does it just mean that Ali Carter is Ronnie's lovely lady? <laugh>

Postby GJ

SnookerFan wrote:
HugoDrax wrote:he is ROSs bunny and I think he is resigned to this. I think the one match that sticks in my mind was the NIT where he was so close to winning but ROS did him again..............................anybody care to confirm for me. :chin:

The term Bunny. I've never heard that, apart from on here. Does it just mean that Ali Carter is Ronnie's lovely lady? <laugh>

yes

Postby randam05

footygirl wrote:Ding Junhui will never win it - he froze again at Sheffield

And I worry too for Stephen Maguire- can't see him becoming world champion

Couldnt agree more.

Postby SnookerFan

Ding Junhui is a brave choice, considering he has won two UK Championships and one Masters. (I appreciate the Ding guess probably was before he won the Masters.)

Totally understand why you've picked him, his previous campaigns have been relatively crap. But his first one he had was against Ronnie two months after that match, and he is slowly regaining confidence. It wouldn't shock me to find he has a decent Crucible win in him, despite being relatively mediocre at that venue at that format.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:Ding Junhui is a brave choice, considering he has won two UK Championships and one Masters. (I appreciate the Ding guess probably was before he won the Masters.)

Totally understand why you've picked him, his previous campaigns have been relatively crap. But his first one he had was against Ronnie two months after that match, and he is slowly regaining confidence. It wouldn't shock me to find he has a decent Crucible win in him, despite being relatively mediocre at that venue at that format.

i think its a brave choice but the longer he more than anyone goes without winning the harder it would be a whole snooker nation expects it from him.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Ding Junhui is a brave choice, considering he has won two UK Championships and one Masters. (I appreciate the Ding guess probably was before he won the Masters.)

i think its a brave choice but the longer he more than anyone goes without winning the harder it would be a whole snooker nation expects it from him.

True.

Maybe he will, or maybe he won't. In sport there's no such thing as a sure thing. Who'd have predicted Shaun Murphy before 2005? But, if I had to compile a list of players in the top-32 currently, that hadn't won the world title and yet, and I thought wouldn't, I'm not sure Ding would be that high on the list of people I'd pick.

Obviously, only time will tell. He might be hit by a bus tomorrow.

Postby Roland

Ding will definitely win it. It's Selby I'm starting to worry about.

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:Ding will definitely win it. It's Selby I'm starting to worry about.

Selby. Now there's a guy who needs to start winning ranking tournaments.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Ding Junhui: 95%: will be a winner at the Crucible, only a question of time
Mark Selby: 65%: had a great opportunity last year, not a certainty any more
Stephen Maguire: 10%: it looks like his best days are over, had his golden chance in 2007 against Higgins as he blew that one
Ali Carter: 40%: has the potential, has a good record in the Crucible, but often blows it in the deciding moments
Mark Allen: 55%: a man of the big tournaments, still young and has the bottle, the only worrying thing for him are 6 lost semis
Jamie Cope: 10%: I would be really surprised should he even get close to the final
Ricky Walden: 15%: he didn't carry on after his Shanghai Masters win, still no sucess in the Crucible
Judd Trump: 15%: as often on the screen as Steve Davis (playing a match), but his Premier League debut impressed me

Fu, Bingham, King, Day, Stevens, Gould, Hawkins, Wenbo: no chance

Postby GJ

FU has a smuch chance ms maguire and cope who you have as 10 % chance

If Fu hits form he can win any tournament so abit silly to write him off as having no chance

Postby Snooker Overdrive

GJ wrote:FU has a smuch chance ms maguire and cope who you have as 10 % chance

If Fu hits form he can win any tournament so abit silly to write him off as having no chance

That's true - he should have around 10-15%. But he's already 33 and very inconsistent.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

My chances of a past/present World Champion to win it again:

John Higgins: 65%:
The toughest man to beat on the tour, always on his game in the Crucible, still no sign of a decline, a major contender for the next few years

Neil Robertson: 75%:
Has the complete package, after an early exit in 2011, he will be back in the follow years and add probably one more title to his name, a third is a bit unlikely

Mark Williams: 40%:
Has to avoid Ronnie in the draw somehow and has to hit a streak of very good form and dig as deep as he ever did. I can see that happen.

Shaun Murphy: 55%:
He has a very good history at the Crucible and is still young enough to add one more title to his name.

Graeme Dott: 20%:
I still amazed how he reached THREE finals. That's an incredible achievement. I think he could make a good run again, but I can't see him winning.

Peter Ebdon: 10%:
His decline is in full progress, still has the fighting spirit but his game let's him down far to often. Would be a miracle.

Stephen Hendry: 5%:
That would be one of the biggest surprises in sport history.

Ken Doherty/Steve Davis: 0%:
Speaking of wonders - but that's just impossible.

Ronnie O'Sullivan: 50%:
In the Crucible he's always a great force to be reckoned with. He's very tough to beat there. Had a poor season so far, but that doesn't mean anything at the Crucible. But he needs a favourable draw (like the one Robertson had last year). There's still enough fire in him to win one more.

Postby Roland

If Zhanger then how about Chuang?

Postby Roland

Oh right, it must be true because you said fact :redneck:

Postby Monique

Higgins record at the Crucible isn't that great actually. Over the 7 last seasons, yes, he's won it twice, but on the other five occasions has never got past round 2.

Postby Tubberlad

Ding is a near certainty, and Robertson should do it again....

Postby GJ

TUBBS

it will be robbo 2 time world champion after this year

Postby Tubberlad

GJ wrote:TUBBS

it will be robbo 2 time world champion after this year

Not this year... but in time

Postby gallantrabbit

I actually think Ali could win it. Talent wise he`s certainly capable and I`m double sure he's getting sports psycologists involved. Guys like him have got to get a bit of the shaun murphys about them cos talent wise they are more than there.

Postby Roland

It's funny isn't it? You have a perception of a player then soon as they win the Worlds it all changes. If Ali won the big one it would make sense. But equally if he didn't you could say "well he was always a nearly man". Same with Maguire. Both are well capable and deserving but whether they will against the likes of Robbo, Ding, Higgins, Ronnie, Murphy, Selby, Williams - well it remains to be seen.

Postby gallantrabbit

Sonny, most people would put Ali`s chances way lower than Maguire`s, but Maguire, despite being a brasher character does tend to implode when under the biggest pressure. Carter is very fluent, (I remember one calling him a hoover) and if he ended up in a final against someone other than a big name, ie ronnie, higgins, williams maybe, i`d back him.

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

gallantrabbit wrote:Sonny, most people would put Ali`s chances way lower than Maguire`s, but Maguire, despite being a brasher character does tend to implode when under the biggest pressure. Carter is very fluent, (I remember one calling him a hoover) and if he ended up in a final against someone other than a big name, ie ronnie, higgins, williams maybe, i`d back him.

Hoover is Good <ok>

Postby Roland

Would you back him against the Hoover though - Mark Selby? Before the Shanghai I'd say no chance but now...