Post a reply

Re: Rate the 2010-11 tournaments to date

Postby Bourne

Just because some matches were 6-3 or 6-4, it didn't make them competitive. It admittedly got a lot better in the semis and the final was good, but overall the quality was pretty diabolical for what we should be expecting from our top-16.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:Just because some matches were 6-3 or 6-4, it didn't make them competitive. It admittedly got a lot better in the semis and the final was good, but overall the quality was pretty diabolical for what we should be expecting from our top-16.

Quality of play has sod all to do with Quality of Match.....

ive seen some amazing Performance Bore me because there was no tension there once a player in you know Frame over

Postby Tubberlad

SHANGHAI MASTERS 5/10: I have no major gripe with the Shanghain Masters, but it does lack a bit of imagination in setting itself apart. The tournament itself was no classic this year.

PTC: I can't really rate it as we didn't see any of it, but the concept is generally pretty good. It needs to0 be televised and have proper audiences next year

WORLD OPEN 7.5/10: It worked very, very well and was something different. It was an improvement on the Grand Prix, the cream rose to the top due to the pressurised set up, high points tariff & prize money. That was the biggest satisfaction with the World Open, that it didn't go by the way of random winners all the way through. Excellent tournament, but I wouldn't like to see this format used for other tournaments or the enginuity is gone.

PREMIER LEAGUE 6.5/10: The Premier League has many faults so it will never score ridiculously highly for me, but this year's tournament was certainly more enjoyable than others.

POWER SNOOKER 2/10: I hated it

UK CHAMPIONSHIP 8/10: Not bad at all. The format is quality, we got some cracking matches including Williams-Murphy and the final was one of the greatest games ever played. The venue needs serious looking at though.

MASTERS 4.5/10: Very poor, but that's a once in a blue moon occurence for the Masters. The tournament doesn't need changing, it was just not a good tournament this year, which happens.

CHAMPIONSHIP LEAGUE: Can't rate it (see PTC), but unlike the PTC the foundation is wrong, the format is wrong and the tournament will never work. It had it's place once upon a time, but with the introduction of year-round snooker, not anymore.

SKY SHOOTOUT 7/10: Worked very well as a novelty entertainment event, but never as a ranker. It was miles ahead of Power Snooker.

GERMAN MASTERS 7.5/10: Yes, it worked well. All new set up, great crowds, decent tournament quality wise.

Postby Wildey

anyway everyone does have different opinions on different events but the fact people actually rate Shootout and Power Snooker in relation to snooker at all doesent put much credibility to your opinions TBH :)

Postby Tubberlad

Wild wrote:anyway everyone does have different opinions on different events but the fact people actually rate Shootout and Power Snooker in relation to snooker at all doesent put much credibility to your opinions TBH :)

The thing is Wild, it's pretty unfair to compare a good decent ranking event like the German Masters against something like Snooker Shootout. I rated the shootout just half a point below the German Masters as it worked very well at what it was supposed to do: be something entertaining, a good novelty. It did that very well. The German Masters worked very well at what IT was supposed to do: be a good, solid ranking event with a refreshing set up. The World Open did well at what it was supposed to be: an FA Cup quick style ranking event.

I rated the Masters poorly as I felt the quality and the tension was well down on other years, but the event itself doesn't need to change as it has always worked well. This year it just didn't work out as a great tournament, but that happens.

Postby randam05

Tubberlad wrote:
Wild wrote:anyway everyone does have different opinions on different events but the fact people actually rate Shootout and Power Snooker in relation to snooker at all doesent put much credibility to your opinions TBH :)

The thing is Wild, it's pretty unfair to compare a good decent ranking event like the German Masters against something like Snooker Shootout. I rated the shootout just half a point below the German Masters as it worked very well at what it was supposed to do: be something entertaining, a good novelty. It did that very well. The German Masters worked very well at what IT was supposed to do: be a good, solid ranking event with a refreshing set up. The World Open did well at what it was supposed to be: an FA Cup quick style ranking event.

I rated the Masters poorly as I felt the quality and the tension was well down on other years, but the event itself doesn't need to change as it has always worked well. This year it just didn't work out as a great tournament, but that happens.

Spot on tubber <ok> only problem is it just depends what you were rating it on..how much you enjoyed it or how much you think its contributed to thesnooker calendar or how good they are compared to eachothers tournaments in terms of quality

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:
Bourne wrote:Just because some matches were 6-3 or 6-4, it didn't make them competitive. It admittedly got a lot better in the semis and the final was good, but overall the quality was pretty diabolical for what we should be expecting from our top-16.

ive seen some amazing Performance Bore me because there was no tension there once a player in you know Frame over

Quality of play and quality of tension. Ebdon vs Carter had to be the most unforgettable 6-5 i've ever seen.

Postby GJ

Bourne wrote:
Wild wrote:

Quality of play and quality of tension. Ebdon vs Carter had to be the most unforgettable 6-5 i've ever seen.

<ok>

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:
Wild wrote:

not doing a good job of forgetting it are you if you remember how poor it was :redneck:

Postby Bourne

I remember the result but not the match ... all I remember is that Ebdon won despite feeling dizzy and unwell and said he could 'barely stand up straight' ... says a lot for Carter that he lost rofl

Postby Tubberlad

randam05 wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:

Spot on tubber <ok> only problem is it just depends what you were rating it on..how much you enjoyed it or how much you think its contributed to thesnooker calendar or how good they are compared to eachothers tournaments in terms of quality

I'm entirely in favour of things like shoot out and see their purpose, I just don't agree with them becoming ranking events as it's taking something that worked well as an entertainment and dressing it up as something serious. That wouldn't work, mutton dressed as lamb and all that.

Postby Tubberlad

Bourne wrote:I remember the result but not the match ... all I remember is that Ebdon won despite feeling dizzy and unwell and said he could 'barely stand up straight' ... says a lot for Carter that he lost rofl

Sorry Wild, but that was a really, really rubbish match

Postby SnookerFan

Changing the subject somewhat, what are people's opinions of the PTCs? They obviously give the players something to do between proper tournaments, and gives them more chances to play snooker and win money. But in terms of prestige, and television exposure, they are way down there.

Discuss.

Postby Bourne

Superb for the players, couldn't complain one iota about that aspect. But for us fans, the coverage has been pretty shoddy. They may as well have been played in some knocked down Rileys club in the back end of beyond for all we knew of them. That said, Gloucester did a good job in the EPTC they had ...

Postby SnookerFan

Bourne wrote:Superb for the players, couldn't complain one iota about that aspect. But for us fans, the coverage has been pretty shoddy. They may as well have been played in some knocked down Rileys club in the back end of beyond for all we knew of them. That said, Gloucester did a good job in the EPTC they had ...

Did you go?

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:Superb for the players, couldn't complain one iota about that aspect. But for us fans, the coverage has been pretty shoddy. They may as well have been played in some knocked down Rileys club in the back end of beyond for all we knew of them. That said, Gloucester did a good job in the EPTC they had ...

my burnt down shed in north wales available :redneck:

im sure Ronnie will be there <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:

my burnt down shed in north wales available :redneck:

im sure Ronnie will be there <laugh>

Tell him it's a Power Shed. He'll come.

Postby Bourne

SnookerFan wrote:

Did you go?

No, but I saw the set up and some of the coverage on the camera they fixed up <ok>

Postby Steve K

Shanghai Masters 5/10 (Final was a bore, but was interesting to see the lower seeds win matches)
PTC's 7/10 (Great idea but needs refinement, went to EPTC4 at the SWSA, was excellent!)
World Open 7/10 (Fun format, good to see some lesser known players on TV)
Power snooker 4/10 (Interesting concept, needs alot of changes though)
UK Championship 8/10 (Great tournament, great final)
Masters 7/10 (Was interesting to see the seeds drop out, final was uneventful though)
Sky shootout 9/10 (Favourite event of the season so far, brilliant matches, great fun)
German Masters 7/10 (Loved the arena setup. Length of event meant that not enough matches were broadcast)

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Every tournament has it's place in the season. The "majors" are judged by higher standards than exhibition events.

Shanghai Masters ?/10
I didn't see any of it.

World Open 8/10
It wasn't perfect but for a first time it was pretty good. Snooker isn't football, there's no set lenght that a match should be. Having a ranking tournamnent with just one table, two or three matches a session was a nice change. I liked the semi's on a Sunday afternoon too. For a once a season event it works well.

Power Snooker 5/10
I'm biased against anything sponsors by The Scum newspaper and TalkShit radio but this ok as an exhibition. If they made the rules a bit simpler and told some of the crowd to shut up then it would be worth trying again. Unlike the Shoot Out it was FTA which is a plus.

UK Championship 8/10
Good.

The Masters 5/10
Not so good, but it was due a poor year.

Shoot Out 8/10
Did it's job better than any other event this season.

German Masters 9/10
Had the best final in a while and Williams and to a lesser extent Selby were in such good form it made up for not seeing that many other matches. The big crowd made it work well on TV. Would be better if it started on a wednesday.
Last edited by KrazeeEyezKilla on 09 Feb 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:

surely if you class a tournament as being good on the basis that matches were close and there was tension, then the World Open and Sky Shootout should be top of your list :D

Postby Bourne

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:

surely if you class a tournament as being good on the basis that matches were close and there was tension, then the World Open and Sky Shootout should be top of your list :D

Yes every match at the Shootout was only decided by the odd frame :redneck:

Postby Witz78

well looking through all of this feedback guys it appears Wilds in the minority claiming that no matter how good the World Open , Shootout etc were they couldnt come close to the established formats.

As for next weeks Welsh Open, i dont look forward to the best of 7 format, weve had enough of that already this season with the PTCs so i would have liked Tubbers sets and legs idea instead to give the tournament a truly new identity and add some interest, excitment and novelty factor to it.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:well looking through all of this feedback guys it appears Wilds in the minority claiming that no matter how good the World Open , Shootout etc were they couldnt come close to the established formats.

As for next weeks Welsh Open, i dont look forward to the best of 7 format, weve had enough of that already this season with the PTCs so i would have liked Tubbers sets and legs idea instead to give the tournament a truly new identity and add some interest, excitment and novelty factor to it.

you can just imagine this type of thread years ago

Mercantile Credit Classic 5/10
UK Championship 7/10
Masters 6/10
Big Break 10/10 god did you see David Taylor he won all the Prices with a second to spare Brilliant exciting Tournament
World Championship 4/10 matches were 2 long i crave for Big Break

<doh> <doh>

Shootouts and power rubbish is not snooker thats why i unclassified them in trying to rate best snooker tournaments of the season.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:well looking through all of this feedback guys it appears Wilds in the minority claiming that no matter how good the World Open , Shootout etc were they couldnt come close to the established formats.

you can just imagine this type of thread years ago

Mercantile Credit Classic 5/10
UK Championship 7/10
Masters 6/10
Big Break 10/10 god did you see David Taylor he won all the Prices with a second to spare Brilliant exciting Tournament
World Championship 4/10 matches were 2 long i crave for Big Break

<doh> <doh>

Shootouts and power rubbish is not snooker thats why i unclassified them in trying to rate best snooker tournaments of the season.

oooooooooooooooooooooo your such a drama queen :limp:

yet again burying your head in the sand and not looking at the bigger picture <doh>