Post a reply

Dennis Taylor - What is the point ?

Postby GJ

Seriously how can the BBC justify keeping him on while cutting back on clive's commentary stints.

Willie and the others are ok at least they try to educate new fans of the game Taylor on the other hand repeats the same BS in every match he commentates on and its getting so boring.

Will the BBC finally get rid of the clueless taylor anytime soon ?

I wont hold my breath on it happening but we can always live in hope.

Re: Dennis Taylor - What is the point ?

Postby Smart

GJ wrote:Seriously how can the BBC justify keeping him on while cutting back on clive's commentary stints.

Willie and the others are ok at least they try to educate new fans of the game Taylor on the other hand repeats the same BS in every match he commentates on and its getting so boring.

Will the BBC finally get rid of the clueless taylor anytime soon ?

I wont hold my breath on it happening but we can always live in hope.

a fine article, well done GJ :win: :wave: <ok>

Postby GJ

Bourne wrote:You don't like Dennis then mate ?

I try to be positive mate but there is nothing he does well in the job <doh>

Postby vodkadiet

GJ wrote:

He does. He tells us when Ronnie is playing a left handed shot(in a raised voice)!

Postby randam05

GJ wrote:

Comedy?

He is EXTREMELY funny.

Postby Roland

Dennis Taylor is very funny when you see him in exhibitions. Don't get me wrong, he is a really nice bloke. He doesn't live in the real world though, seems like he has the lifestyle of someone with a lot of money and doesn't relate to a lot of the television audience who don't.

Postby Tubberlad

Sonny wrote:Dennis Taylor is very funny when you see him in exhibitions. Don't get me wrong, he is a really nice bloke. He doesn't live in the real world though, seems like he has the lifestyle of someone with a lot of money and doesn't relate to a lot of the television audience who don't.

Taylor is a good guy, but his commentary really grates, with the constant love-in of Ronnie and the golfing mentions ad-nauseum.

But I have no doubt he'd be a good guy for an exhibition. I really enjoyed the 1985 commemoration frame he played with Steve Davis, quality.

Postby Roland

He refers far too much to things in his life without realising it's only him who lives like that. Strictly Come Dancing, golf, Snooker Legends, more golf, going out to dinner, more golf. That's all he does and it's all he seems to know.

Postby GJ

I dont care how good he is in exhibitions

he is meant to be a snooker commentator and all he rabbits on about his golf or tries to act as ronnies councillor

he is focused today or he isnt looking focused today

they may as well just record all his silly phrases and repeat them and they wont have to bother even employing him

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:I dont care how good he is in exhibitions

he is meant to be a snooker commentator and all he rabbits on about his golf or tries to act as ronnies councillor

he is focused today or he isnt looking focused today

they may as well just record all his silly phrases and repeat them and they wont have to bother even employing him

rofl rofl rofl

Postby randam05

I like him, I like his commentary, I dont need clive talking me through every shot as If I dont understand snooker. Sometime you just wanna enjoy the snooker and have a laid back laugh at dennis, or listen to the rolling accent of doherty, or the excitement and humour virgo brings. I also love willy :emb: :john:

Postby GJ

it funny when he has a go at the player when they ignore his advice and it goes wrong he is gloating so much

rofl <laugh>

Postby Tubberlad

I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan of Thorne, but at least he doesn't suck up to the players to whole time. One thing I hate with snooker commentators is referring to players by their first name, would you ever hear a football commentator referring to Beckham as 'David'. Notice that Everton always refers to them by their second name <ok>

Postby jojo

willie thorne talks a lot of sense it might look like he criticise the player for not playing the shot he recommended but that not the case he makes valid points

i know he seem a bit up his bottom god only knows what he would have done if hed won a few matches in his career other than a mercentile credit classic win he won buck all and the best he ever achieved at the crucible was a few quarter final appearances so i can understand people that say why should i listen to willie thorne he did next to buck all in his career all them maximums in practice when no one looking playing against himself

however he talks sense in commentary i love listening to him

dennis taylor on the dont even start ha

Postby GJ

jojo wrote:willie thorne talks a lot of sense it might look like he criticise the player for not playing the shot he recommended but that not the case he makes valid points

i know he seem a bit up his bottom god only knows what he would have done if hed won a few matches in his career other than a mercentile credit classic win he won buck all and the best he ever achieved at the crucible was a few quarter final appearances so i can understand people that say why should i listen to willie thorne he did next to buck all in his career all them maximums in practice when no one looking playing against himself

however he talks sense in commentary i love listening to him

dennis taylor on the dont even start ha

join the club :hatoff:

as i said why dont they record all taylors rubbish catch phrases and just play them and regualr intervals

and sack the clown

Postby jojo

they will never sack him because of the affiliation and affection i dont blame them personally i would hate to see any man lose their job so i wouldnt want that but yes he bucking useless in the commentary box

he the only bbc commentator i dont like the rest of them do a good job

Postby vodkadiet

jojo wrote:they will never sack him because of the affiliation and affection i dont blame them personally i would hate to see any man lose their job so i wouldnt want that but yes he intercoursing useless in the commentary box

If you ever write an article on 606 criticising Taylor they take it down. They won't hear the truth.

"As a player you think in terms of mini sessions, you try to win each one 3-1"

"I took a fiver off Willie Thorne on the golf course this morning"

"That's like one of your golf shots Willie"

"He looks like he has just walked off the set of Neighbours"

"He looks like he could be in a boy band"

The camera pans to be bald guy in the audience, "Is that a friend of yours Willie?"(chuckle).

Then there are the stories he repeats time and time again, ie the pensioners club when John Spencer's position was so good that one of the audience said "Nice break Mr Spencer, but I could have potted all those balls".

"We have an Englishman, a Welshman, a Scot, and 2 Irishman in the commentary box. I think there is a joke there somewhere".

"As long as your opponent still needs 2 frames you feel as if you still have a chance"

"RONNIE IS PLAYING THIS SHOT LEFT HANDED"

"Snooker is a lot like golf"

He also mentions golfers who people who that don't have any interest in the cringeworthy game wouldn't know from Adam, as if we should know them like they are The US President.

Taylor :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

Golf :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

:zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

Postby GJ

vodkadiet wrote:
jojo wrote:they will never sack him because of the affiliation and affection i dont blame them personally i would hate to see any man lose their job so i wouldnt want that but yes he intercoursing useless in the commentary box

If you ever write an article on 606 criticising Taylor they take it down. They won't hear the truth.

The camera pans to be bald guy in the audience, "Is that a friend of yours Willie?"(chuckle).

Then there are the stories he repeats time and time again, ie the pensioners club when John Spencer's position was so good that one of the audience said "Nice break Mr Spencer, but I could have potted all those balls".

"We have an Englishman, a Welshman, a Scot, and 2 Irishman in the commentary box. I think there is a joke there somewhere".

"As long as your opponent still needs 2 frames you feel as if you still have a chance"

He also mentions golfers who people who that don't have any interest in the cringeworthy game wouldn't know from Adam, as if we should know them like they are The US President.

did you mention if ronnie is looking focused today in that list

rofl rofl rofl

Postby vodkadiet

GJ wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:

did you mention if ronnie is looking focused today in that list

rofl rofl rofl

Yeah, whenever Ronnie misses it is becuase he isn't interested.

"He just doesn't look focused out there today"

rofl

"I had dinner with JV and Willie last night". :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

Postby vodkadiet

SnookerFan wrote:The camera pans to be bald guy in the audience, "Is that a friend of yours Willie?"(chuckle).

rofl rofl

It'd be funny if Willie Thorne nutted him one day.

I am waiting for the day when the camera zones in on a red faced, fat, four eyed buck and Willie says "A friend of yours Dennis?"

Postby SnookerFan

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Skipping over these comments shows how much Snooker Island has changed. Most of the first generation posters are completely gone and a new generation has taken over.

I'm still here.

:mex: :mex: