Post a reply

Re: Dennis Taylor - What is the point ?

Postby LC

The bbc don't even need to have Dennis there just someone playing his stock phrases over and over, snooker is a repetitive game so maybe it's natural to repeat one self, Brilliant!

Postby LC

Also the John spencer story, makes total clearance in exhibition and is never out of position , man in club says I could of potted all of them, heard that one a few times

Postby Cue Guru

GJ wrote:Seriously how can the BBC justify keeping him on while cutting back on clive's commentary stints.

Willie and the others are ok at least they try to educate new fans of the game Taylor on the other hand repeats the same BS in every match he commentates on and its getting so boring.

Will the BBC finally get rid of the clueless taylor anytime soon ?

I wont hold my breath on it happening but we can always live in hope.

He does recognise Ronnie as a genius though and is keen to remind us. He also refers to the Great Stephen Hendry. Does this make up for being senile on mic? :hmmm:

Postby SnookerFan

Cue Guru wrote:
GJ wrote:Seriously how can the BBC justify keeping him on while cutting back on clive's commentary stints.

Willie and the others are ok at least they try to educate new fans of the game Taylor on the other hand repeats the same BS in every match he commentates on and its getting so boring.

He does recognise Ronnie as a genius though and is keen to remind us. He also refers to the Great Stephen Hendry. Does this make up for being senile on mic? :hmmm:

Well, not really.

Postby Master Blaster

SnookerFan wrote:
Cue Guru wrote:

Well, not really.

He's there as Virgo's stato. rofl
He also brings Hendry a nice cuppa.
I saw him at Legends a few years back, playing rubbish and doing simpleton tricks. Not pukka by any means. God knows how he won that title, Hearn must have laid some serious money for Davis to crumble so easily. lol

Postby Cue Guru

Alex Higgins famously threatened to have DT shot dead. Now Alex, you're gone but if you were here, I'd like to ask you why didn't call Gerry and concrete the job?

Postby Paddpotter

Dennis will eventually be put in a old snooker players retirement home and much like Father Jack annoy the fu*k out of the other seniles. But rather than be shouting 'drink', 'feck' and 'girls' he will be reciting his BBC commentary lines 24-7 even in his sleep.

and to answer the question nostalgia baby

Postby Andy Spark

People who think Dennis Taylor is just rubbish should look at this former display of funniness and sharpness. This is brilliant stuff and he did this kind of great exhibition performance many times!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-Y9ZU4ECrA

I think a more sedate lifestyle has left him less sharp these days (and certainly he neglects his snooker stat studies) but IMO he certainly deserved his initial appointment as a BBC commentator.

Not just Dennis Taylor, but generally old style exhibitions are, or at least seem to me to be in a different league. Partly this is because of the fact that there was far less money on the tour so the players had to be good at exhibitions, however, I also feel the amount of alcohol sloshing away in the game was a factor.

Postby Skullman

There's no guarantee that being good in an exhibition setting will make give the ability to be any good as a commentator.

Postby SnookerFan

Andy Spark wrote:People who think Dennis Taylor is just rubbish should look at this former display of funniness and sharpness. This is brilliant stuff and he did this kind of great exhibition performance many times!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-Y9ZU4ECrA

I think a more sedate lifestyle has left him less sharp these days (and certainly he neglects his snooker stat studies) but IMO he certainly deserved his initial appointment as a BBC commentator.

Not just Dennis Taylor, but generally old style exhibitions are, or at least seem to me to be in a different league. Partly this is because of the fact that there was far less money on the tour so the players had to be good at exhibitions, however, I also feel the amount of alcohol sloshing away in the game was a factor.

He can be funny doing exhibitions. He's also a nice guy.

This don't mean he is a good commentator.

Postby SnookerFan

TWITTER ATTACK!

Dennis Taylor ‏@dennistaylor147
#btsportsawards What a great honour to be presented with The Belfast Telegraph Hall of Fame award, by Joe Swail & Dame Mary Peters.

Postby SnookerEd25

randam05 wrote:I like him, I like his commentary, I dont need clive talking me through every shot as If I dont understand snooker. Sometime you just wanna enjoy the snooker and have a laid back laugh at dennis, or listen to the rolling accent of doherty, or the excitement and humour virgo brings. I also love willy :emb: :john:

Gosh, I didn't realise Snooker Island was the place for such confessions :evilgrin:

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:
randam05 wrote:I like him, I like his commentary

You're disgusting.

Randam was alright. He went off to university.

Saw him in Newport one year.

Postby mick745

I used to think Dennis and Clive were a good commentary partnership, but now he's lead commentator I am not sure he is very bright and he still seems to be stuck in 1985.

'There are only about 13 or 14 names on the world trophy' er, no there isn't Dennis, that may have been true when you won it but it is not true now.

'Ah, that was just a little bit of tension' - no he just missed a pot that's all.

'He's one of the best in the world at this type of shot' -yes that is why he's there!

Postby The Herminator

Although it is time for DT to be put out to seed and I can barely watch him anymore with "golf" and "the lovely Vikki", etc. I do think his knowledge of the actual game is excellent and can be illuminating at times. I remember many years ago on TV a masterclass he did and that was excellent. I'd take him over Willie "play for a choice of reds" Thorne any day. But he does need to go we need someone fresh to shake it up. What's Quinten Hann doing these days? :box:

Postby SnookerFan

The Herminator wrote:Although it is time for DT to be put out to seed and I can barely watch him anymore with "golf" and "the lovely Vikki", etc. I do think his knowledge of the actual game is excellent and can be illuminating at times. I remember many years ago on TV a masterclass he did and that was excellent. I'd take him over Willie "play for a choice of reds" Thorne any day. But he does need to go we need someone fresh to shake it up. What's Quinten Hann doing these days? :box:

:welcome:

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Cue Guru wrote:Alex Higgins famously threatened to have DT shot dead. Now Alex, you're gone but if you were here, I'd like to ask you why didn't call Gerry and concrete the job?

It was a different group Higgins was talking about.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

PoolBoy wrote:"...from this young man..."

"was a bit special"

"..all you want is one chance..."

"believe it or not"

"we used to look at them as mini sessions"

"He's took those well!"

"How's yer luck?"

This would make a good drinking game.

Postby Iranu

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:

"was a bit special"

"believe it or not"

"He's took those well!"

"How's yer luck?"

You'd be paraletic after the first frame.

Postby SnookerEd25

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:

"was a bit special"

"believe it or not"

"He's took those well!"

"How's yer luck?"

"well, we know who they're supporting..." (camera cuts to oriental people during a Ding match)

"...and there's Patsy Fagan. Dear old Patsy, UK champion in '78"

"..and the fella says to him 'nice break Mr. Spencer, but I could have potted all those'..."

:shc:

Postby Dan-cat

The grannies love him so they do.

Gotta credit my step-gran for getting me into watching snooker on TV. We would go and visit them on their farm in Pately Bridge in the Yorkshire Dales and invariably the snooker would be on. That was in pre-DT days. Well, he was just a player then, not the generously-bottomed TV personality that we know and love.