2. Patrick Wallace
3. Joe Delaney
4. That old woman who ran in during a Ronnie match in Barnsley
5. Matthew Bolton
6. Basem Eltahhan
7. Roland Cox
8. John Bear
9. Mark Johnston-Allen
10. Ronnie O'Sullivan (After his decline)

Re: Pink Ball's Top 10 Players of All-Time

Postby sas6789

Pink Ball wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Williams was miles better in 2003 than he was before or since

Rubbish.

He played much better in the 1999 Worlds. He demolished a prime Ken Doherty, and a prime John Higgins en route to the final.

He demolished everyone bar an inspired Doherty in 2003. A prime Hendry was no match for him. Williams was far greater that entire season.

Hendry was past his prime in 2003.

Postby Johnny Bravo

sas6789 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Williams was miles better in 2003 than he was before or since

Rubbish.

He played much better in the 1999 Worlds. He demolished a prime Ken Doherty, and a prime John Higgins en route to the final.

He demolished everyone bar an inspired Doherty in 2003. A prime Hendry was no match for him. Williams was far greater that entire season.

Hendry was past his prime in 2003.

Hendry was just as good from 97 to around 2004 as he was in the early 90's, he was still very young.
The only difference was that the class of 92 started entering their prime and other better players emerged
The fact that he had a one-dimensional game also didn't help his cause. He used to miss plenty of pots in the early 90's too, but they weren't any players that could score as heavy as him on a consistent basis back then. Now he had at least 3 players that could score just as heavy and more importantly, were a class above him in the safety department.

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:Mark Williams was nowhere near Hendry's class as a break builder. I could name 50 players better than Williams in that department, if I were fussed.

Be fussed.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Pink Ball wrote:Mark Williams was nowhere near Hendry's class as a break builder. I could name 50 players better than Williams in that department, if I were fussed.

Willo has never had the best cue ball control, but he compensates that with his potting ability.

Postby vodkadiet

1, Hendry
2. S.Davis
3. Reardon
4. R.O'Sullivan
5. J.Higgins
6. M.Williams
7. Selby
8. Spencer
9. A.Higgins
10. Parrott

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Pink Ball wrote:
kolompar wrote:That's the change from your last list. Neither really feels top 10 anyway, replace them with some real legends like Cliff or Dennis <ok>

No, because neither is as good as Ding or Robertson

Now or then?

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Pink Ball wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
kolompar wrote:That's the change from your last list. Neither really feels top 10 anyway, replace them with some real legends like Cliff or Dennis <ok>

Now or then?

Ever.

bullocks, Cliff and Dennis were better in 1989

Postby Pink Ball

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

Now or then?

Ever.

bullocks, Cliff and Dennis were better in 1989

Once born, Ding and Robertson were better than either Dennis or Cliff Face.

Postby SnookerFan

Who remembers Stephen Fry's attempt at clever statistics one Crucible?

"Who won the most amount of World Championships? It's not who you think."

We all spend ten minutes trying to come up with a clever reason why it's not Joe Davis.

Stephen Fry comes back on. "I bet you didn't get it. It's Joe Davis."

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:Who remembers Stephen Fry's attempt at clever statistics one Crucible?

"Who won the most amount of World Championships? It's not who you think."

We all spend ten minutes trying to come up with a clever reason why it's not Joe Davis.

Stephen Fry comes back on. "I bet you didn't get it. It's Joe Davis."

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:Image

I think it wasn't aimed at people like us.

I suspect the majority of people watching thought Stephen Hendry had won most World Titles, because he has won The Crucible the most.

I wasted 10 minutes trying to think if there was somebody who had won a load of World Amateur titles, or something. <laugh>

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:I wasted 10 minutes trying to think if there was somebody who had won a load of World Amateur titles, or something. <laugh>

Me too. Yeah, it was aimed at casual snooker fans..

Postby Pink Ball

We now have an official all-time top 20 (correct as of 14/11/2018):

1. Ronnie O'Sullivan
2. Stephen Hendry
3. John Higgins
4. Steve Davis
5. Mark Williams
6. Ray Reardon
7. Mark Selby
8. Alex Higgins
9. Neil Robertson
10. Ding Junhui
11. Peter Ebdon
12. Jimmy White
13. John Parrott
14. John Spencer
15. Ken Doherty
16. Shaun Murphy
17. Judd Trump
18. Cliff Thorburn
19. Terry Griffiths
20. Paul Hunter

File it off.

Postby Dan-cat

Wikipedia on the GOAT issue:

'Hendry's World Snooker profile states that he is "generally considered the greatest snooker player ever". However, some former players, such as Ray Reardon (in 2004) and Dennis Taylor (in 2013), have stated that he has been superseded by Ronnie O'Sullivan. In 2005 John Higgins, who competed with both players at their respective peaks, concurred, proclaiming O'Sullivan as "the best that's ever played the game". Steve Davis—a six-times former world champion and BBC pundit—is more divided on the issue, considering O'Sullivan to be the best player but Hendry the greatest winner. Jimmy White also regards O'Sullivan as the best player he's ever seen, but considers Steve Davis his toughest opponent. Dell Hill—a snooker coach who has worked with some of the game's top players—also considers O'Sullivan the best player "without a shadow of a doubt", but believes that O'Sullivan has "under-achieved" next to Hendry.

O'Sullivan himself has dismissed the suggestion that he is the greatest player and believes that a player must equal Hendry's haul of seven world titles to be regarded in this capacity.Former world champion Stuart Bingham also takes a statistical view of the question, stating that O'Sullivan is the "best player to pick up a cue" but Hendry's record of seven world titles settles the debate as to who the greatest player is. Desmond Kane of Eurosport has argued that if it were purely a statistical question then Joe Davis's fifteen world championships would settle the issue, that there is no real difference between the "greatest" and the "best", and that O'Sullivan has played snooker to a higher standard than anyone.'

That clears that up then.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Why does Pinkball's list not include Joe Davis?

He only includes players from the modern era. Snooker was not open to everyone in Joe's days.