Post a reply

Re: Pink Ball's Top 10 Players of All-Time

Postby snooky147

vodkadiet wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:They're finger lickin' good.

Colonel Harland David Sanders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5vPub2lDtc

Look mate, give it a rest. You want to keep on like this open a new thread somewhere else.And as for the peadophile comment you are way out of order.Either make a new thread or STFU.

Postby Wildey

Johnny Bravo wrote:Neal Foulds has given the best argument to why Ronnie is superior to Hendry: Hendry didn't manage to win anything relevant after he turned 30. Not 35, not 40, but 30 !!! That says it all.

To make an analogy to other sports, Tiger Woods has 14 majors compared to Jack Nicklaus's 18, yet everyone who has watched that sport will admit Tiger is the best ever.

Here's the review of the UK final: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IHLEDw7Mls&t=221s
The debate about greatness starts at about 2:45

Theres another arguament after reaching 30 and being 7 times World champion nobody was close enough to challange Hendry with the only player stil on tour with 2 or more World Title being Steve Davis.

John Higgins was the only member of the class of 92 with a WC at the time Hendry switched off and felt he had acomplished the goal of overtaking Davs and Reardon.

Ronnie had Higgins to push him going toe to toe for best part of 20 years Hendry had nobody to do the same god knows how much he could have won if he had.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Look, I'm a hendry fan, I have a lot of respect for the man, he's a legend. But the truth is, all the talk about he stopped winning because he had reached all his goals already and he had nobody to push him is bull. Hendry is a winner and he doesn't need anyone to push him. If he could be winning world championships today he would still be doing it because he loves winning.

Hendry's game was built around his awesome long potting. When he got older the long potting started to go. Maybe he had the yips, maybe it was just something about getting older or loosing confidence in his cue action, maybe it was the loss of his old cue that made him lose his confidence... Fact is his long potting just wasn't there anymore and that was what his way of playing was built around. He would pot a long red, be on the black and make a big break. He was an attacking player and he could not do that anymore when the long pots stopped going in. His safety game was not good enough to play a different kind of snooker.

Hendry stopped winning when the long pots stopped going in. Having no more goals doesn't have anything to do with that in my opinion. If he would have been able to still win, he could have made the goal to break Joe Davis' record of 15 world championships. Or what about the record of the oldest man to win the world championship? Or Steve Davis' record of 6 Uk titles? There were still records to be broken, but he just couldn't win anymore against players like Ronnie and Higgins.
Last edited by Holden Chinaski on 24 Dec 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Postby vodkadiet

1. Hendry
2. S.Davis
3. Reardon
4. O'Sullivan
5. J.Higgins
6. Selby
7. Spencer
8. M.Williams
9. A.Higgins
10. Thorburn

Postby vodkadiet

SnookerFan wrote:O'Sullivan fourth?

Yes, it would be unfair to place him any lower than that, even though he hasn't been number one for any length of time.

Would you have had him lower than 4th Snookerfan?

Postby vodkadiet

Pink Ball wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:1. Hendry
2. S.Davis
3. Reardon
4. O'Sullivan
5. J.Higgins
6. Selby
7. Spencer
8. M.Williams
9. A.Higgins
10. Thorburn

My list is the official one.

I respect your opinion Pink Ball, but 7 World Titles never lie....

Postby Pink Ball

vodkadiet wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
2. S.Davis
3. Reardon
4. O'Sullivan
5. J.Higgins
6. Selby
7. Spencer
8. M.Williams
9. A.Higgins
10. Thorburn

Hendry's achievements are hugely jmpressive, andi have good time for the Scot. He was outstanding.

But O'Sullivan's peak coincided with the strongest era snooker has ever seen, by far. O'Sullivan is the greatest player I've ever seen, I would say confidently.

Postby Holden Chinaski

vodkadiet wrote:I respect your opinion Pink Ball, but 7 World Titles never lie....

Hendry was great, but he had four finals against a player who was more busy partying and taking drugs than preparing for those finals... If the world championship is so important to you, where's Joe Davis on your list?

Postby Holden Chinaski

Pink Ball wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
2. S.Davis
3. Reardon
4. O'Sullivan
5. J.Higgins
6. Selby
7. Spencer
8. M.Williams
9. A.Higgins
10. Thorburn

Hendry's achievements are hugely jmpressive, andi have good time for the Scot. He was outstanding.

But O'Sullivan's peak coincided with the strongest era snooker has ever seen, by far. O'Sullivan is the greatest player I've ever seen, I would say confidently.

Everybody knows that, Pink Ball. Ray Reardon, Stephen Hendry, Jimmy White... they all agree on this. Even Vodkadiet knows this, he just likes to troll.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Holden Chinaski wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:I respect your opinion Pink Ball, but 7 World Titles never lie....

Hendry was great, but he had four finals against a player who was more busy partying and taking drugs than preparing for those finals...

Nigel Bond?

Postby SnookerFan

vodkadiet wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
2. S.Davis
3. Reardon
4. O'Sullivan
5. J.Higgins
6. Selby
7. Spencer
8. M.Williams
9. A.Higgins
10. Thorburn

Where's Joe Davis then? He had more than double Hendry's.

Postby Johnny Bravo

My final list is pretty close to Pinkey's.

Since this isn't about peak performance, but about GREATNESS (peak form + impact on the sport + longevity + titles/achievements/records etc), here it is:

1. Ronnie O'Sullivan
2. Stephen Hendry
3. Steve Davis
4. Alex Higgins
5. John Higgins
6. Ray Reardon
7. Mark Williams
8. Mark Selby
9. Jimmy White
10. Ding Junhui

Bear in mind that when compiling my list, I put more emphasis on impact on the sport than I did on titles.

That's why the great Alex Higgins is so far up the list. Even at his best, he's no match for the likes of J. Higgins, Willo and Selbo, but he's had a bigger impact on the sport than any of them.
As far as I'm concerned, he put snooker on the map and made it watchable for world wide audiences.
Same goes 4 Jimmy. He might not have won the WC, bur far more people took up the game because of him than they did because of players like Selbo.

Postby vodkadiet

If a player is the 'greatest ever' he will win whoever his opponents are. O'Sullivan has won 5 world titles in 25 attempts.

In comparison Rafael Nadal is regarded as the 'greatest clay court player ever'. Nadal has won 10 French Opens in 13 attempts.

The World Snooker Championships has 32 players in the field.
The French Open has 128 players in the field.

O'Sullivan fans can post any amount of fanboy garbage on here but stats don't lie.

Postby SnookerFan

vodkadiet wrote:If a player is the 'greatest ever' he will win whoever his opponents are. O'Sullivan has won 5 world titles in 25 attempts.

In comparison Rafael Nadal is regarded as the 'greatest clay court player ever'. Nadal has won 10 French Opens in 13 attempts.

O'Sullivan fans can post any amount of fanboy garbage on here but stats don't lie.

Tennis has no relevance to snooker.

Postby vodkadiet

SnookerFan wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:If a player is the 'greatest ever' he will win whoever his opponents are. O'Sullivan has won 5 world titles in 25 attempts.

The point being that the best player in any sport will win because he/she is better than all the opposition.

Phil Taylor is another example. He won 16 world titles in 24 attempts. He didn't complain the standard of opposition was too strong, he just won because he was the best.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Then how come Hendry didn't win s.h.i.t after he turned 30 ???
Or are u gonna post that bull about him being satisfied after achieving his goal of surpassing Davis's 6 WC ?
If that's the case, then why did he continue playing on for so long ???

I'll say it again for the millionth time: Hendry simply won so much because he played in a WEAK era.
Jimmy basically gifted him 2 finals and he won a 3rd one against Nigel fu...in Bond.

Ronnie has been playing to the highest standards for over 2 decades and at the age of 42 he's still at the top of the game.
Hendry vanished from the winners circle once the level of snooker rose. In 2012, Hendry's last season on the tour (when he was about the same age), he wasn't even among the top 50 at the last seedings.

Postby vodkadiet

Johnny Bravo wrote:

Then how come Hendry didn't win s.h.i.t after he turned 30 ???
Or are u gonna post that bull about him being satisfied after achieving his goal of surpassing Davis's 6 WC ?
If that's the case, then why did he continue playing on for so long ???

I'll say it again for the millionth time: Hendry simply won so much because he played in a WEAK era.
Jimmy basically gifted him 2 finals and he won a 3rd one against Nigel fu...in Bond.

Ronnie has been playing to the highest standards for over 2 decades and at the age of 42 he's still at the top of the game.
Hendry vanished from the winners circle once the level of snooker rose. In 2012, Hendry's last season on the tour (when he was about the same age), he wasn't even among the top 50 at the last seedings.

You can say it 1 million times, 10 million times, 50 million times, it doesn't alter facts.

Anyway, I must have told you a thousand times not to exaggerate!
Last edited by vodkadiet on 25 Dec 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Remember that time in the First World War when they all stopped fighting on Xmas day. This is supposed to be a day of harmony and concord when we pause to reflect on others less fortunate than ourselves, and think also of the message of Christ.

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Remember that time in the First World War when they all stopped fighting on Xmas day. This is supposed to be a day of harmony and concord when we pause to reflect on others less fortunate than ourselves, and think also of the message of Christ.

Quite right. :hatoff:

Postby Pink Ball

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Remember that time in the First World War when they all stopped fighting on Xmas day. This is supposed to be a day of harmony and concord when we pause to reflect on others less fortunate than ourselves, and think also of the message of Christ.

How gay

Postby Pink Ball

vodkadiet wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

The point being that the best player in any sport will win because he/she is better than all the opposition.

Phil Taylor is another example. He won 16 world titles in 24 attempts. He didn't complain the standard of opposition was too strong, he just won because he was the best.

Taylor wouldn't have won anywhere near 16 if his peak had coincided with Van Gerwen's peak

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Taylor wouldn't have won anywhere near 16 if his peak had coincided with Van Gerwen's peak

DECLINE!

Postby vodkadiet

Pink Ball wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Taylor has still been beating Van Gerwen this year, and he is a part time player, who is way past his best.

Postby vodkadiet

Jahangir Khan didn't lose a squash match for 5 and a half years between 1981 and 1986. He won 555 matches in a row.

He just beat whoever was put in front of him. He didn't go around whining "This era is too strong. I wish I was playing in the 70s".

O'Sullivan isn't fit to tie Jahangir Khan's squash trainers....

Postby Pink Ball

vodkadiet wrote:Jahangir Khan didn't lose a squash match for 5 and a half years between 1981 and 1986. He won 555 matches in a row.

He just beat whoever was put in front of him. He didn't go around whining "This era is too strong. I wish I was playing in the 70s".

O'Sullivan isn't fit to tie Jahangir Khan's squash trainers....

During his peak years, Hendry won one major. He simply wasn't good enough against genuinely great players. His career can safely be described as a failure.