Post a reply

Re: Pink Ball's Top 10 Players of All-Time

Postby Wildey

Cloud Strife wrote:
Wildey wrote:personally I believe ronnie is now the greatest ever player.

I've never taken tournament wins as gauge of greatness. for me it's the manner you do it.

Hendry and Ronnie are miles ahead of anyone else because of the way they played to get all those tournaments the aragance of knowing they can turn it on under pressure.

Ronnie overtook Stephen a few years back for me the way he won the WC back to back with next to no play between events.

Personally, I believe Ronnie overtook Hendry and the rest the day he first picked up a snooker cue. The gap has been constantly widening ever since.

Peranally i believe you want to buck Ronnie but thats just my opinion.

Postby Pink Ball

vodkadiet wrote:Given that records don't seem to matter in this debate, there is a guy who used to play in a snooker club I used to play in. He never actually missed a single ball. He made on average 15 maximum breaks every 25 frames he played. I think his name was Koji Fermanji. He was undoubtedly the best player I ever saw.

Sorry, I forgot to add the prefix 'personally', as against the prefix 'impersonally.

1. Koji Fermanji
2. Sudeth Niallslic (He was another who made maximums blindfolded)
3. Ceth Suvlisrety. He is an 8 year old who last night made 4 maximums in 12 frames in another snooker club I occasionally frequent.
4. Freen Bathrwqaj. He beat a top 16 professional 33-4 in a best of 65 practice match last week, making 19 centuries along the way.
5. Coolsyeth Byhjil. He also has many wins over 16 players in practice. He has never actually lost a match to any current professional, although one of them once took him to a final frame in a best of 25 match once, before Coolsyeth knocked in a 155 break, after obtaining a free ball, in that final frame. The professional in question said about his own performance "That was the best snooker i have ever played yet it was still not good enough to beat Coolsyeth".

These are my current top 5 but this could change soon as every snooker club I visit these days seems to attract matches where top professionals are getting thrashed by bus conductors, bin men, tube drivers, dentists, and traffic wardens. None of these guys want to turn professional as they don't think snooker really matters, and just play for fun.

In short, when records don't count then there is a 'greatest player ever' around every corner and in every other petrol station....

I acknowledge your petition and will now weigh their worth with my superb judgement. Early indications suggest however that Fermanji may not be the greatest of all time.

Postby Pink Ball

I hasten to add, my top 10 of all time - or the 'official' list, as some insist on calling it - considers records the most important factor in deciding the best. However, given my deep knowledge of the great game, I rightly do not see it as the sole factor. If we did, Joe Davis would be regarded as the best ever, which would be a nonsensical conclusion.

I dislike both Hendry and Sullivan, and Higgins even more so. If I was biased, I'd put Jimmy White first. But that would flow against the objectivity that pumps around by body.

Postby Wildey

I Think this was a legitamate and fair thread but some have their own agenda of either Rubbishing Hendry or O'Sullivan which is neither fair or worst still Factual

Postby Pink Ball

Wildey wrote:I Think this was a legitamate and fair thread but some have their own agenda of either Rubbishing Hendry or O'Sullivan which is neither fair or worst still Factual

You're right, but the players themselves won't care for their opinions. Hendry and Sullivan are satisfied that I've got this right and both accept my judgement is sound.

Postby SnookerEd25

vodkadiet wrote:
1. Koji Fermanji
3. Ceth Suvlisrety. He is an 8 year old who last night made 4 maximums in 12 frames in another snooker club I occasionally frequent.
4. Freen Bathrwqaj. He beat a top 16 professional 33-4 in a best of 65 practice match last week, making 19 centuries along the way.
5. Coolsyeth Byhjil. He also has many wins over 16 players in practice. He has never actually lost a match to any current professional, although one of them once took him to a final frame in a best of 25 match once, before Coolsyeth knocked in a 155 break, after obtaining a free ball, in that final frame. The professional in question said about his own performance "That was the best snooker i have ever played yet it was still not good enough to beat Coolsyeth".

Some good Scrabble scoring there too...

Postby Snooker-Fan2016

Johnny Bravo wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Hendry should be regarded as the greatest ever because of his 7 world titles.

But that's the problem. Hendry wouldn't have won so much had he turned pro at the same time as Ronnie, John and Mark.
The early 90's was a very weak era.

Pathetic if's and but's are pointless. IF there was proper hungry young talent coming through then there wouldn't be all these 40 something's at the back end of tournaments.

Postby Wildey

Take Mark Davis he turned pro in 1991 and the highest he got in the 90s was 47...then he broke in to the top 32 in 2009 18 years after turning pro.

Is Mark Davis a better player now than he was in 1995 of course he isnt only fools think that yes hes more experience but to get in to the top 32 at 37 that's a long time gaining experience.

Postby Pink Ball

Wildey wrote:Take Mark Davis he turned pro in 1991 and the highest he got in the 90s was 47...then he broke in to the top 32 in 2009 18 years after turning pro.

Is Mark Davis a better player now than he was in 1995 of course he isnt only fools think that yes hes more experience but to get in to the top 32 at 37 that's a long time gaining experience.

Correct.

Postby Muppet147

Cloud Strife wrote:
snucar wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Ding is responsible for the huge Chinese snooker boom. In time, history will dictate Ding's contribution to snooker as far superior to Jimmy White.

bull.

Postby Erza Scarlet

1. Stephen Hendry
2. Ronnie O'Sullivan
3. Steve Davis
4. John Higgins
5. Mark Williams
6. Mark Selby
7. Ray Reardon
8. Alex Higgins
9. Jimmy White
10. Neil Robertson

For me Ronnie needs 1 more world title to become #1 because a 2 title gap is still big and it isn't fair to say 5 > 7 because I wouldn't like it if someone put Selby over Ronnie and said 2 > 5. But with the extra world title and all other contribution, Ronnie would be #1.

I have Selby high compared to most because he beat Ronnie in nearly half of his Triple Crown events and history will look back on this to see what Selby did to gain his most important titles, rivalry stands out a lot in sport and people remember a Selby vs Ronnie final far easier than a Selby vs nobody final and he's also putting on an impressive resume lately so yes he deserves to be here.

Postby sundaygirl

Pink Ball wrote:

Ding is responsible for the huge Chinese snooker boom. In time, history will dictate Ding's contribution to snooker as far superior to Jimmy White.

This is :spot on:

Postby Pink Ball

Muppet147 wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
snucar wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

bull.

To a little Englander who struggles with the quote function, yes.

Postby TheSaviour

PETER DUCER. :hatoff:

I have never been a one to believe something completely rubbish. When you area alive, you are alive. That´s basically it. That´s the time and everthing happens DURING IT. Not aftermaths. During the time I just tried to read of where the jokes landed and tried to learn from it. There´s not much anything else.

PETER DUCER

Postby Incident on 57th street 20

vodkadiet wrote:Given that records don't seem to matter in this debate, there is a guy who used to play in a snooker club I used to play in. He never actually missed a single ball. He made on average 15 maximum breaks every 25 frames he played. I think his name was Koji Fermanji. He was undoubtedly the best player I ever saw.

Sorry, I forgot to add the prefix 'personally', as against the prefix 'impersonally.

1. Koji Fermanji

These are my current top 5 but this could change soon as every snooker club I visit these days seems to attract matches where top professionals are getting thrashed by bus conductors, bin men, tube drivers, dentists, and traffic wardens. None of these guys want to turn professional as they don't think snooker really matters, and just play for fun.

In short, when records don't count then there is a 'greatest player ever' around every corner and in every other petrol station....

Who was the top 16 professional who lost 33-4 in a best of 65 ?

Postby Andy Spark

1. Koji Fermanji

rofl

Postby Andy Spark

Holden Chinaski wrote:Great list Pink Ball. Looks good, I agree <ok>

I agree too, although I wouldn't particularly like to swear by the order. :tree: :santa:

Postby Johnny Bravo

Neal Foulds has given the best argument to why Ronnie is superior to Hendry: Hendry didn't manage to win anything relevant after he turned 30. Not 35, not 40, but 30 !!! That says it all.

To make an analogy to other sports, Tiger Woods has 14 majors compared to Jack Nicklaus's 18, yet everyone who has watched that sport will admit Tiger is the best ever.

Here's the review of the UK final: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IHLEDw7Mls&t=221s
The debate about greatness starts at about 2:45

Postby Holden Chinaski

Johnny Bravo wrote:To make an analogy to other sports, Tiger Woods has 14 majors compared to Jack Nicklaus's 18, yet everyone who has watched that sport will admit Tiger is the best ever.

Are you Dennis Taylor? :chin:

Postby Johnny Bravo

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:To make an analogy to other sports, Tiger Woods has 14 majors compared to Jack Nicklaus's 18, yet everyone who has watched that sport will admit Tiger is the best ever.

Are you Dennis Taylor? :chin:

No, I'm too young compared to him <laugh>

Postby Pink Ball

TheSaviour wrote:PETER DUCER. :hatoff:

I have never been a one to believe something completely rubbish. When you area alive, you are alive. That´s basically it. That´s the time and everthing happens DURING IT. Not aftermaths. During the time I just tried to read of where the jokes landed and tried to learn from it. There´s not much anything else.

PETER DUCER

You're a bucking idiot

Postby Dan-cat

TheSaviour wrote:PETER DUCER. :hatoff:

PETER DUCER

Aftermaths, I had double science

Postby Alex0paul

Johnny Bravo wrote:Neal Foulds has given the best argument to why Ronnie is superior to Hendry: Hendry didn't manage to win anything relevant after he turned 30. Not 35, not 40, but 30 !!! That says it all.

To make an analogy to other sports, Tiger Woods has 14 majors compared to Jack Nicklaus's 18, yet everyone who has watched that sport will admit Tiger is the best ever.

Here's the review of the UK final: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IHLEDw7Mls&t=221s
The debate about greatness starts at about 2:45

He didn't need to win anything after he was 30

Postby vodkadiet

How many seasons has O'Sullivan ranked number 1 in the world? Or does this stat not matter either? Is it just about century breaks and nothing else? Sorry, I forgot, being able to play with both hands has somehow become a factor in all this as well. While we are discussing the superfluous, how about being able to play whilst inebriated? Alex Higgins surely must get a mention in this case?