Post a reply

Your dream BBC commentary team

Postby eraserhead

Given the choice who would you pick as part of a new BBC snooker team. You can use anyone from the current BBC lot but try and avoid the ITV and eurosport crew as I would like to see some different name suggested.

Re: Your dream BBC commentary team

Postby The Herminator

If I had to chose I'd go for JV and Ken. I know JV is turning in to a bumbling old grandpa but at least he doesn't talk about golf and he takes the mick out of "the great" WT, so that gets him points in my book. Not exactly a dream team but we work with what we've been given.

Postby Iranu

Hendry, Virgo, Ebdon, Foulds (if he counts)

Swap Virgo for Everton if allowed.

Postby vodkadiet

Maybe they can get Trump in the box after his defeat tonight? They could assign him to the Maguire vs McLeod match...

Postby Andy Spark

Dan-cat wrote:Clive Everton and Jack Karnehm.

Agree, although they aren't current BBC men and I think Jack is dead. I would also add Ted Lowe. He had a limited knowledge of snooker - rather surprisingly considering how much he'd seen- but he had a great voice.

Of the current lot I think Hendry is the best, I don't like any of the others as basic things like grammar are lacking.

(BTW why are ex-pros always the ones to give the shot predictions!? Experienced watchers have just as much right and a lot of them have seen more snooker than the pro players. It's not rocket science and the experienced journalists like Phil Yates should have the guts to do it and not be intimidated by the ex-pros.)

Postby Andy Spark

SnookerFan wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:SnookerFan, Pink Ball, Smart and Michaela Tabb.

Mine would be similar, but I wouldn't have Pinkball or Smart.

I reckon Snookerfan, Smart and Pink Ball would work harder on being good commentators than these former World Champions who go in with a sense of entitlement before chatting like guys down the pub and blaming "carelessness" for any bad shot. Ironically it is the former World Champions in the commentary box who are displaying carelessness.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Andy Spark wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

I reckon Snookerfan, Smart and Pink Ball would work harder on being good commentators than these former World Champions who go in with a sense of entitlement before chatting like guys down the pub and blaming "carelessness" for any bad shot. Ironically it is the former World Champions in the commentary box who are displaying carelessness.

I think Snookerfan would talk more about what kind of pizza he's eating and beer he's drinking than talk about the snooker... Still, more entertaining than Dennis T.

Postby Cloud Strife

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

I think Snookerfan would talk more about what kind of pizza he's eating and beer he's drinking than talk about the snooker... Still, more entertaining than Dennis T.

Yeah, it says a lot about Dennis when we'd prefer to listen to snookerfan talking about eating and recycling instead.

Postby GJ

Virgo seems to be better with a younger commentator , was decent with foulds and now is doing well with ebdon.

Postby SnookerFan

Andy Spark wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Me and Smart would be in the pub beforehand.

Postby SnookerEd25

Dan-cat wrote:oops didn't read the question properly (apologies Mr Head sir)

I stick by my choice. Dig Jack up.

"Cliff... Cliff, Cliff, Cliff... Good luck, mate"

Classic commentary!

Postby SnookerEd25

Dan-cat wrote:oops didn't read the question properly (apologies Mr Head sir)

I stick by my choice. Dig Jack up.

"Cliff... Cliff, Cliff, Cliff... Good luck, mate"

Classic commentary!

Postby TheSaviour

Hit me. It would include someones who could see how to cut the carpet a much more difficult job than to cut the snooker ball in from impossible angles. I had a job for years when I had to cut the carpets to customers under the heaviest live pressure with many people including the customer watching. Even a slightest mistake and the customer would be a very unhappy and the whole deal ruined. And many similar as difficult jobs also. So there was the pressure. Hit me. The professional snooker players cutting the snooker balls in for the big money. Well yes it can be good. But a much about is just trying to promote a great show. Which means a nice interactions with the audiences. Hit me.

Postby Holden Chinaski

TheSaviour wrote:Hit me. It would include someones who could see how to cut the carpet a much more difficult job than to cut the snooker ball in from impossible angles. I had a job for years when I had to cut the carpets to customers under the heaviest live pressure with many people including the customer watching. Even a slightest mistake and the customer would be a very unhappy and the whole deal ruined. And many similar as difficult jobs also. So there was the pressure. Hit me. The professional snooker players cutting the snooker balls in for the big money. Well yes it can be good. But a much about is just trying to promote a great show. Which means a nice interactions with the audiences. Hit me.

pmsl