Post a reply

Re: This whole thing about Hearn punishing people with high

Postby TheRocket

People always tend to mix up slow with negative.

Selby can be slow at times but on average he plays at medium pace I'd say. Players like Ebdon,McLeod, O'Brien, Lawler are truly slow.

Its rather Selbys style of play which makes him stand out and which isnt everyones cup of tea. You can call it very defensive or negative. Thats up to you. But you know what I mean. Scrappy 40-50 minute frames, balls on cushions, no rhtym, reracks and stuff like that. It works for him so you can't blame him.

But its the complete opposite to Hendry or O'Sullivan who use(d) to wipe out their opponents in no time.

And Higgins for instance is probably somewhere in the middle between Hendry/O'Sullivan and Selby in terms of style of play.

Postby Wildey

People like different things so the thought of banning play thats not your cup of tea is insulting when people actually enjoy it.

its like saying Ronnie Slow down these people have payed to come here to watch snooker they dont want it finished in 50 minutes

Postby TheRocket

Wildey wrote:People like different things so the thought of banning play thats not your cup of tea is insulting when people actually enjoy it.

its like saying Ronnie Slow down these people have payed to come here to watch snooker they dont want it finished in 50 minutes

Mate I don't disagree with you. Sports always live on the very different style of plays. Imagine if everyone played the same type of game. It would be a very boring world.

But I still think the majority of fans always like rapid scoring and attacking play.

Its like in football. You have teams who can score a lot of goals and lets say win 4:1 or or 3:0. And then you have teams who park the bus or have a strong defense and maybe just win their matches 1:0 or 2:1.
The majority of the fans will always prefer the former type of game from their team even though the latter one can be as successful.

That was my point.

Postby HappyCamper

Naughty list has been published. To the surprise of noone there will be lumps of coal in the stockings for Walker, Kleckers, Lu, Lawler, Jak Jones, and Xu.

http://www.worldsnooker.com/average-sho ... 0-seconds/
I guess if they don't speed up in the new year they get fined or something.

Postby Andy Spark

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:The Ebbo / Ronnie slow play debacle. Both Ken and Parrot saying while it's underway that Ebdon should be warned. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzDPUQ-ZpoA

Parrott siding with Ronnie?

I'm glad I was sat down when you dropped that revelation.

Clive Everton, a man I would suggest every Snooker Islander respects, also said that Ebdon should have been warned about deliberate slow play in that match. However, it's tough for the ref because he/she knows it will be a contentious call; perhaps there could be a way for the ref to have access to AST stats from the previous frame/frames played.

Postby Andy Spark

Dan-cat wrote:Also Ebdon was on the board of the WPBSA at the time, he was effectively the ref’s boss. It’s all in clive’s brilliant book Black Farce and Cueball Wizards

I was tempted to make that point, but I was unsure of the time he'd been inducted.

Ebdon does have a bit of a reputation. I do know that according to Snooker Scene mag a certain ref, (I think it was Alan Chamberlain) claimed that Ebdon deliberately refused to try his best to win a frame. The ref was shaking when he claimed this after the match because he knew Ebdon was on the board.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:Also Ebdon was on the board of the WPBSA at the time, he was effectively the ref’s boss. It’s all in clive’s brilliant book Black Farce and Cueball Wizards

Ebdon should never have been on the board whilst still an active player.

Nobody should.

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:

Ebdon should never have been on the board whilst still an active player.

Nobody should.

It’s a ramtoozler for sure.

Postby Iranu

Ash147 wrote:Speaking of Alan Chamberlain, this moment was also bucking funny. He seemed to have it in for Selby. rofl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvkYm-RXRVc

I don't really know why Foulds and Everton have a problem with Chamberlain's conduct there.

They agree that he's legally right, they say he should be explaining the situation (which he actually does guys, if you weren't too busy talking about how he should to listen,) and they say he should have used his discretion.

What discretion? A player not knowing the rules isn't grounds for discretion, it's not like a slow play or miss situation where there's no obvious answer.

Chamberlain made the right call.

Postby Ash147

Yes Chamberlain was correct. He was one of the best referees in the game, and he knew what he was doing.

Alan Chamberlain certainly had Selby's number when it came to taking the snake hiss though, which was nice to see. I think Marcel Eckardt is the only other referee who's stood up to Selby before.

Postby Iranu

Ash147 wrote:I liked Alan Chamberlain, I thought he was tough on the players when he needed to be. It must have been frustrating for him to not be able to call Ebdon out on his bucking mind games, because of the role he had.

This is one of my favourite moments from Alan Chamberlain actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbobYOs_wbY

Just watched this one. A bit of a sausage move to be fair. Why not clean it? Does he not trust himself to put it back where it was?

Postby Ash147

Iranu wrote:
Ash147 wrote:I liked Alan Chamberlain, I thought he was tough on the players when he needed to be. It must have been frustrating for him to not be able to call Ebdon out on his bucking mind games, because of the role he had.

This is one of my favourite moments from Alan Chamberlain actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbobYOs_wbY

Just watched this one. A bit of a sausage move to be fair. Why not clean it? Does he not trust himself to put it back where it was?

I think it's because of the situation with Selby being snookered. Alan Chamberlain knows that if he puts the ball back fractionally different to where it was before, Selby might be able to hit an edge of it that he wouldn't otherwise have seen. That's how I perceived it, anyway.

Postby Iranu

True.

On the other hand, he agreed that there was something on the ball. The fact that it's on the "back" of the ball from where Selby's aiming isn't the point; it could still affect the path the red takes because it's no longer a smooth surface.

I'm with Chamberlain on the "fist in pocket" situation but not the "red cleaning" one.

Postby Andre147

Dan-cat wrote:The one time in recent times that someone got warned for slow play it was McGill, and the poor ref got lambasted for it. Hardly encourages other refs to take the same stand.

I've said this many times.

The ref was accused by many of not realising how hard the game is. And this couldnt be further from the truth. Most of the refs of course know the game inside out, and they anticipate shots. He was right in thinking McGill was time wasting.

But the rules need to be more clear about slow play. If they are, then you'll start seeing more refs go for it, and not be scared by the consequences of it.

Postby Wildey

World Snooker and Barry Hearn making a Mountain out of a Mole Hill its not a problem in snooker far from it in fact. yes theres some players taking too long but exactly how many of thoes players play at a venue in front of TV Cameras theres only 4 players plus 30 on tour Lukas Kleckers, Jak Jones, Rod Lawler and Lee Walker.

Seriously had this average shot time been around in the 80s about 50 players would be over 30 and 10 or 15 over 40 easy and apparently that was snooker's Golden age.