Post a reply

Re: Why are older players thriving?

Postby Dan-cat

Cloud Strife wrote:
KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:I started reading a book about the Korean War recently and have a hard time concentrating which I think is down to the internet. If it wasn't for the internet though I would have never discovered the book,

I get it. I can no longer play computer games or read books with the same intensity or lengthy periods as I was able to in the past.

Now I find that whenever I settle down with a book my mind is always wondering and I have to stop mid chapter, sometimes even every couple of pages, to check my phone.

It's that constant need to be connected. It seems to override most things.

It's that hit of dopamine you are craving, not the actual information...

Turn it off, put it in a different room. I kept going to it, then realising I'd turned it off for a reason. That desire to check it just drops away after a couple of days.

Postby Cloud Strife

Dan-cat wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:I started reading a book about the Korean War recently and have a hard time concentrating which I think is down to the internet. If it wasn't for the internet though I would have never discovered the book,

I get it. I can no longer play computer games or read books with the same intensity or lengthy periods as I was able to in the past.

Now I find that whenever I settle down with a book my mind is always wondering and I have to stop mid chapter, sometimes even every couple of pages, to check my phone.

It's that constant need to be connected. It seems to override most things.

It's that hit of dopamine you are craving, not the actual information...

Turn it off, put it in a different room. I kept going to it, then realising I'd turned it off for a reason. That desire to check it just drops away after a couple of days.

<ok>

I think it will be even worse for the next generation because they're starting earlier now.

I have nephews and a niece. One of them is 3 years old and the other two have just turned 2. They all have their own iPads and are constantly either on YouTube or playing Fortnite and Minecraft lol.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Dan-cat wrote:I know it's quite sad really... my 16 year old nephew is just plugged into his iphone and headphones the whole time watching youtube

Humans are slowly becoming cyborgs.

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:I know it's quite sad really... my 16 year old nephew is just plugged into his iphone and headphones the whole time watching youtube

Humans are slowly becoming cyborgs.

Postby Iranu

When I'm watching TV, I usually have my phone in my hand.

I know I'm watching something great when I find myself putting the phone down and giving the episode 100% attention.

We shouldn't bemoan it too much though - this forum's activity is built on people having a second screen to discuss on while watching the snooker!

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:We shouldn't bemoan it too much though - this forum's activity is built on people having a second screen to discuss on while watching the snooker!

:goodpost:

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:We shouldn't bemoan it too much though - this forum's activity is built on people having a second screen to discuss on while watching the snooker!

:goodpost:

Yea but were all has been's or never going to be.

Point is if 3 year olds sit watching their bloody phones all the time where are the next generation of sportstars coming from.

in 20 years time sport will be played on computers and the Olympics will be in cyberspace..