Post a reply

Re: Davis and Hendry on Talksport

Postby Cloud Strife

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:Hendry disses Mark Selby.

What did he say ?

Said he's not a star despite everything he's won. If seen walking down the street nobody would know who he was.

Postby Johnny Bravo

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:And that someone like Bill Werbeniuk would have been more famous in the 80's than Selby is now.

Of course Bill would be famous, the man could drink 20 beers in one go.
That's Snookerfan's entire monthly stack.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:Where can I find this interview ?
Has it been recorded ?

Should be available as a Talksport podcast for a week or so.

If you can't find it let me know

Ok. Thanks BSP.

Postby Iranu

Cloud Strife wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

What did he say ?

Said he's not a star despite everything he's won. If seen walking down the street nobody would know who he was.

Sounds like he's dissing snooker (and its prominence in British culture) more than he's dissing Selby.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

What did he say ?

Sounds like he's dissing snooker (and its prominence in British culture) more than he's dissing Selby.

Ohhh. What a diss.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Has it been recorded ?

It seems I need your help. Can you provide me a link ?

Postby Cloud Strife

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Has it been recorded ?

https://talksport.com/radio/schedule/2018-10-14/

There you go. Click on 'listen again' for the 8pm show.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Has it been recorded ?

See if that works:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/id1424270093/

I am on a Chromebook atm so cannot test it.

Postby SnookerFan

Johnny Bravo wrote:
KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:And that someone like Bill Werbeniuk would have been more famous in the 80's than Selby is now.

Of course Bill would be famous, the man could drink 20 beers in one go.
That's Snookerfan's entire monthly stack.

Not always. :emb:

Postby Cloud Strife

carayip wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/oct/15/stephen-hendry-yips-snooker-interview

Good Hendry interview this is. At least he’s honest, if anything.

I've read this.

It's a decent interview until he ruined it by saying he would beat Ronnie in a four session match if both were in their prime.

Postby carayip

Cloud Strife wrote:
carayip wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/oct/15/stephen-hendry-yips-snooker-interview

I've read this.

It's a decent interview until he ruined it by saying he would beat Ronnie in a four session match if both were in their prime.

I mean, he wouldn’t have won what he won if he didn’t have 100% self belief.

Postby Iranu

Yeah I just read this earlier. It's a good interview.

He seems to forget that Ronnie was around when he was at his peak, though. Unless he was in decline in the 93 UK final?

Postby Dan-cat

Iranu wrote:

Yeah I just read this earlier. It's a good interview.

He seems to forget that Ronnie was around when he was at his peak, though. Unless he was in decline in the 93 UK final?

Yeah a great read

Postby SnookerFan

“Jimmy White and the others would have half a lager while playing. Bill Werbeniuk had to start drinking four hours before a match. He had this condition where he either took beta blockers, which were banned, or alcohol to calm his heart rate. If he had a match at 10 in the morning, he got up at six to start drinking beer."

rofl :shock:

Postby SnookerFan

Despite the debatable bit about Hendry winning prime vs prime, I agree with this bit;

"I was stronger mentally. But he’s more talented than me, making shots left-handed and sinking a 147 in 4½ minutes. My fastest maximum would be over nine minutes.” (Though, it was five and a half, wasn't it?)

It's the same point I was making in another thread a few days ago. Hendry was a greater continual winner, and had a stronger temperament and will to win. Ronnie's has improved, but he struggled a lot of times earlier in his career by just not wanting to be at matches. Hendry would never lose, because he couldn't be bothered.

Postby Johnny Bravo

SnookerFan wrote:Despite the debatable bit about Hendry winning prime vs prime, I agree with this bit;

"I was stronger mentally. But he’s more talented than me, making shots left-handed and sinking a 147 in 4½ minutes. My fastest maximum would be over nine minutes.” (Though, it was five and a half, wasn't it?)

It's the same point I was making in another thread a few days ago. Hendry was a greater continual winner, and had a stronger temperament and will to win. Ronnie's has improved, but he struggled a lot of times earlier in his career by just not wanting to be at matches. Hendry would never lose, because he couldn't be bothered.

I also agree with this, but in such a match I am sure Ronnie would be up for it. I simply give Ronnie the edge cause he's a better all round player than Stephen.
But Hendry was being very honest, I respect that.
The only part I don't get from his interview is the part about him mingling with other players. From his perspective, that was a bad thing, but life is also about socializing and having fun, not just about work.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Just finished listening to the whole podcast.
I love the way Steve acknowledges the fact that Stephen would beat him, prime vs prime. And Steve proves the point I was making from day 1 on this forum: as time goes on, the standard improves. Steve say that he believes that the best of the current era will always be better than the best of the previous era. He even said that even if he was in prime again now, he'd have trouble being a top 16 player.