Post a reply

Players in their 40s

Postby mick745

Hearn said that the only other sport in which players were still winning and competing in their 40s was the Senior Golf Tour.

However, the Senior Golf Tour is exactly that a 'senior' tour open to the Over 50s, they are not competing equally with the worlds top players. These are players who no longer can win major events.

Is the fact that snooker has so many players over 40 at the top level and good thing? Its not just Ronnie, Higgins and Williams, but also Bingham, Fu and Day, Maguire, Hawkins all nearly there as well. Even the 'next' generation players such as Murphy, Robertson and Selby and mid to late 30s now. Even the new kid on the block Kyren Wilson is 26.

Is the lack of youngsters regularly at the 'business end' of the tournaments damaging the sport? I am not talking about snooker aficionados such as ourselves but potential new customers. Are they wanting to tune in to see a bunch of blokes in their 40s knock balls around?

Hearn admitted he wanted to see more media stories of youngsters making it. But how and when will this happen?

Re: Players in their 40s

Postby Badsnookerplayer

In my opinion it is not great for the sport when it is seen in the media being dominated by old men (for that is what most young people will view them as). It makes the public perception of the sport a bit like bowls - a game for old people.

I know they are not young but I am disappointed that Judd, Robertson etc have not put the old boys out to grass. That might then encourage the next wave of properly young players like Lines (jr), Totten, Page etc

They are there but they are creeping up the rankings not flying.

Postby SnookerFan

Hearn says something boastful and not entirely accurate?

I'm glad I was sat down when I heard that.

Postby Lucky

If the new players cant make a living it'll be the old guard who have made the money, mopping up against a kind of 'pay to play' second tier who can either afford themselves or are bankrolled by family/sponsors to play at 'professional' sport.

Postby Erza Scarlet

Well, it's the same thing with Tennis. Thoroughly dominated by a bunch of 30 year olds. Federer is 37 and he's bloody #2 in the world. Nadal and Djokovic still dominating. Nadal skips 60-70% of the season and nearly gets the #1.

In Football, Ronaldo and Messi are still the big shots and they're both 30+ years old. They should be hitting their twilight years but they're still in their prime.

I don't watch Golf but I know Tiger Woods made some comeback.

Seems like sportsmen in general from my age group (mid 20s) were really spoilt, pampered by social media and the like OR they just aren't talented enough as the oldies who still continue to win.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Erza Scarlet wrote:Well, it's the same thing with Tennis. Thoroughly dominated by a bunch of 30 year olds. Federer is 37 and he's bloody #2 in the world. Nadal and Djokovic still dominating. Nadal skips 60-70% of the season and nearly gets the #1.

In Football, Ronaldo and Messi are still the big shots and they're both 30+ years old. They should be hitting their twilight years but they're still in their prime.

Seems like sportsmen in general from my age group (mid 20s) were really spoilt, pampered by social media and the like OR they just aren't talented enough as the oldies who still continue to win.

:goodpost:

Postby Iranu

Erza Scarlet wrote:Well, it's the same thing with Tennis. Thoroughly dominated by a bunch of 30 year olds. Federer is 37 and he's bloody #2 in the world. Nadal and Djokovic still dominating. Nadal skips 60-70% of the season and nearly gets the #1.

We're not allowed to mention tennis on this site.

(I kind of agree with you. I do think with tennis, Federer in particular is an exceptional case, Novak and Nadal to lesser extents. But it is interesting that all current players who have won a grand slam are now 30+ years old.

Football I don't think is a fair comparison. Ronaldo and Messi are still top of the pile but you have players like Hazard, Salah, Mbappe etc who are in their teens/20s. Not being Messi or Ronaldo is hardly an indictment.

Our generation does seem to be lacking in individual sports and you're probably right about social media etc.)

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Golf has had a fair few players in their 20's who have won majors or are ranked in the Top 10.

Darts has a lot of older players but Michael Van Gerwen & Rob Cross have both won World titles and are still in their 20's.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Erza Scarlet wrote:Seems like sportsmen in general from my age group (mid 20s) were really spoilt, pampered by social media and the like OR they just aren't talented enough as the oldies who still continue to win.

Iranu wrote:Our generation does seem to be lacking in individual sports and you're probably right about social media etc.)

I read something once about how in Tennis changes to the rackets benefited young players because they were learning to play on the new rackets while older players had to adjust to them. As the rackets became lighter and bigger it was possible to play shots that couldn't be done before and that's how young players broke through. Over time the evolution of rackets has slowed down and the level of strength and fitness and the wealth of the top players has improved so much that there isn't a leap forward that can push out the older players.

Postby Andre147

Darts is different.. it isnt physical and players in their 50s can win tournaments.

But other sports like Tennis, Golf, or of course Snooker you see 30+ players dominating.

Maybe it's social media and young players are not dedicated enough, I really dont know...

Postby Erza Scarlet

Iranu wrote:We're not allowed to mention tennis on this site.

(I kind of agree with you. I do think with tennis, Federer in particular is an exceptional case, Novak and Nadal to lesser extents. But it is interesting that all current players who have won a grand slam are now 30+ years old.

Football I don't think is a fair comparison. Ronaldo and Messi are still top of the pile but you have players like Hazard, Salah, Mbappe etc who are in their teens/20s. Not being Messi or Ronaldo is hardly an indictment.

Our generation does seem to be lacking in individual sports and you're probably right about social media etc.)

I agree Federer is an exceptional case but still, he's still 37. Not even early 30s. He's played through about 3-4 generations of players. That's a lot of Tennis for a career and to still be #2? There's another stat - no one born from the 1990s has won a Grand Slam.

It's not about being Ronaldo/Messi, it's that after a decade of dominating Football they're still at the top when they should be declining. But Ronaldo is still fast as ever and hammering goals in, Messi still scoring a plethora of goals in matches and they're in their 30s. Ronaldo is 33, soon to be 34 in February and there's barely any decline in his speed.

And ofc bringing it back to Snooker, still got the Class of 92 dominating Snooker.

I just think the generation/s that came before our generation is just flat out better.

You'll never see another Ronnie or another class of 92 calibre who all played at the same time. Or another Messi/Ronaldo, a rivalry that co-existed for over a decade. Or another Federer/Nadal/Djokovic who have dominated Tennis for 15 years.

Ofc trying to live up to their expectations is a different thing but from the sports I watch, it's being dominated by older players (Football to a lesser extent) and it's simply because they're just better.

I'm just glad to witness such an era lol

Postby SnookerFan

masterdoctorgenius wrote:But who doesnt love Ronnie? Old and young ones love him cause of his sheer talent and magic he still creates.

You don't seem to have the time. You're always slagging him off.

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:
masterdoctorgenius wrote:But who doesnt love Ronnie? Old and young ones love him cause of his sheer talent and magic he still creates.

You don't seem to have the time. You're always slagging him off.

rofl

Postby Iranu

Erza Scarlet wrote:
Iranu wrote:We're not allowed to mention tennis on this site.

I agree Federer is an exceptional case but still, he's still 37. Not even early 30s. He's played through about 3-4 generations of players. That's a lot of Tennis for a career and to still be #2? There's another stat - no one born from the 1990s has won a Grand Slam.

It's not about being Ronaldo/Messi, it's that after a decade of dominating Football they're still at the top when they should be declining. But Ronaldo is still fast as ever and hammering goals in, Messi still scoring a plethora of goals in matches and they're in their 30s. Ronaldo is 33, soon to be 34 in February and there's barely any decline in his speed.

And ofc bringing it back to Snooker, still got the Class of 92 dominating Snooker.

I just think the generation/s that came before our generation is just flat out better.

You'll never see another Ronnie or another class of 92 calibre who all played at the same time. Or another Messi/Ronaldo, a rivalry that co-existed for over a decade. Or another Federer/Nadal/Djokovic who have dominated Tennis for 15 years.

Ofc trying to live up to their expectations is a different thing but from the sports I watch, it's being dominated by older players (Football to a lesser extent) and it's simply because they're just better.

I'm just glad to witness such an era lol

I think I misunderstood your post. I thought you were lamenting that no 20-something were coming along to displace the older players.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:I read something once about how in Tennis changes to the rackets benefited young players because they were learning to play on the new rackets while older players had to adjust to them. As the rackets became lighter and bigger it was possible to play shots that couldn't be done before and that's how young players broke through. Over time the evolution of rackets has slowed down and the level of strength and fitness and the wealth of the top players has improved so much that there isn't a leap forward that can push out the older players.

I must have been half asleep because I have no memory of writing this nonsense.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Erza Scarlet wrote:I agree Federer is an exceptional case but still, he's still 37. Not even early 30s. He's played through about 3-4 generations of players. That's a lot of Tennis for a career and to still be #2? There's another stat - no one born from the 1990s has won a Grand Slam.

All of them have been taking their "vitamins" which has kept them going longer.

Postby Johnny Bravo

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:
Erza Scarlet wrote:I agree Federer is an exceptional case but still, he's still 37. Not even early 30s. He's played through about 3-4 generations of players. That's a lot of Tennis for a career and to still be #2? There's another stat - no one born from the 1990s has won a Grand Slam.

All of them have been taking their "vitamins" which has kept them going longer.

This is probably one of the main reasons older players are still dominating.
Advancements in the use of technology in training, better nutrition and recovery medicine also contribue vastly.
And the main factor IMO: older generations have a different mindset, they work harder and are more dedicated. Most young guns are being more preocupied with their image and social media. Plus they are not as strong mentally.

Postby Andre147

Alex0paul wrote:What about golf?

Different.

Players in their 40s and sometimes 50s were still winning events in the past like they are now so its not like it is something new.

With other sports like Snooker and Tennis it is something that didnt occur that often.