Post a reply

Re: Will O'Sullivan win 8 World Titles?

Postby TheRocket

Just one more thing. And I agree 100% with that. If O'Sullivan wants to be the Greatest and regarded that way by everyone he must win more World titles.

Not saying 5 is a bad number but definitely too low. And its a big hole in his CV.

And he knows it.I think he even said he'll chase the 8 world titles now after his UK win.

That will be his greatest challenge.

Postby Johnny Bravo

2014 was a huge blow for us Ronetes. Not cause he lost that match, but due to the way he lost it. As far as I'm concerned, Selbo didn't win that match, ROS lost it.
Had he not missed that black to go 11-5 in front, with the sesssion finishing 11-6 at worst for him, ROS would have won the WC that year.
Most snooker players, experts and fans alike already think he is the GOAT.
But in order to silence all the unknowledgeable haters he must win at least one more WC.

Postby SnookerFan

Johnny Bravo wrote:2014 was a huge blow for us Ronetes. Not cause he lost that match, but due to the way he lost it. As far as I'm concerned, Selbo didn't win that match, ROS lost it.
Had he not missed that black to go 11-5 in front, with the sesssion finishing 11-6 at worst for him, ROS would have won the WC that year.
Most snooker players, experts and fans alike already think he is the GOAT.
But in order to silence all the unknowledgeable haters he must win at least one more WC.

:zzz:

Postby masterdoctorgenius

Erza Scarlet wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Selby is great, but the current era is a bucking joke, and it’s only going to get worse. For buck sake, Sullivan Higgins and Williams are about 15 years past their prime and they won ten ranking events last season!

Ronnie and Higgins have different sets of peaks across their careers. They've never kept coming down. With them it's been up and down. I think 2012/2013 WC Ronnie is better than 2001 and 2008 Ronnie. 2013 version would beat 2008 version handily. Higgins in 2011 is better than 2007 or 2009. Ronnie's performance at the EO 2017 is better than most of his performances in finals in previous years.

Higgins scraped through in 2011 due to the inability of his opponents to put him away.

Ronnie, MJW and JT led with massive leads but choked.

2009 Higgins was the best. Beat Peak Selby. Dominated SF and Final.

Postby Iranu

Holden Chinaski wrote:
masterdoctorgenius wrote:2009 Higgins was the best. Dominated SF .

Higgins beat SnookerFan?! :shock:

:whip:

Postby HustleKing

No, I think Ronnie will struggle to get a 6th, but he might just do it, but he has no chance of a 7th.

He's not as good as avoiding mental fatigue during the semi and final and the younger players and experienced ones who have been struggling the last few years, like Ding, Robbo and Trump will likely have a good or several good years before Ronnie gets too old.

Postby Andre147

HustleKing wrote:No, I think Ronnie will struggle to get a 6th, but he might just do it, but he has no chance of a 7th.

He's not as good as avoiding mental fatigue during the semi and final and the younger players and experienced ones who have been struggling the last few years, like Ding, Robbo and Trump will likely have a good or several good years before Ronnie gets too old.

If he wins a 6th, he might get motivated to pursue a record tying 7th, but yeah 6 is hard enough, let alone 7.

Hopefully next year the pattern with MJW being defending champ will continue.

Postby Dan-cat

Andre147 wrote:
HustleKing wrote:No, I think Ronnie will struggle to get a 6th, but he might just do it, but he has no chance of a 7th.

If he wins a 6th, he might get motivated to pursue a record tying 7th, but yeah 6 is hard enough, let alone 7.

Hopefully next year the pattern with MJW being defending champ will continue.

This. He'll be extra fired up to put the doubters to bed.

Postby SnookerFan

Who are these doubters we keep hearing about?

The only person I've noticed doubting him is MDG. And a few people who thought he'd never win a final again because he lost to Michael Holt.

It's his fans basically.

Postby Erza Scarlet

I disagree a bit. Just give him a chance to reach the semis and I can completely see him winning it. He will be absolutely fired up for it if he reaches the one table setup. His problem has been losing in early rounds and it's not like he's been losing to world beaters.

Not even reaching the one table setup for 4 years is a concern though and pretty embarassing for someone of Ronnie's abilities who's been winning everywhere else but it's what it is and as crazy as this sounds, if he wins the 6th then I can see him winning a 7th one quicker.

Postby Andre147

Erza Scarlet wrote:

I disagree a bit. Just give him a chance to reach the semis and I can completely see him winning it. He will be absolutely fired up for it if he reaches the one table setup. His problem has been losing in early rounds and it's not like he's been losing to world beaters.

Not even reaching the one table setup for 4 years is a concern though and pretty embarassing for someone of Ronnie's abilities who's been winning everywhere else but it's what it is and as crazy as this sounds, if he wins the 6th then I can see him winning a 7th one quicker.

Thats the thing isnt it... if he does win a 6th, it might not take too long for a 7th.

The doubters will say the pressure will be too much to tie for a 7th... one thing for sure, since his 1st World Title, this is the longest he's been without another, and the longer it goes the harder it gets.

Postby Andy Spark

Holden Chinaski wrote:Anything is possible.

One example: Mark Williams.

Nuff said.

haha...Mark saved this year's World Championship.

Heavy odds against Ronnie getting eight. I've said I don't like the GOAT argument these days because both Hendry and Ronnie are brilliant, but if Ronnie ends up breaking all of Hendry's records apart from World Titles then I might change my mind.