Post a reply

Superior player

prime Higgins
20
95%
prime Selby
1
5%
 
Total votes : 21

prime Higgins vs prime Selby

Postby TheRocket

A thread and poll about the two toughest matchplayers we have had in Snooker.

Keep in mind this is more about level of play and not titles or greater career. Even though Selby isnt that far away either in that department. At least in terms of Triple Crown titles. And he still has time on his side.

Some stats: They have played in two world finals. The first had been in 2007 which a prime Higgins won against a Selby who had his breakthrough. 10 years later prime Selby beat a post prime Higgins.

The 2009 World Championship quarterfinal was their only encounter imo when both men played to the best of their abilities over a long distance match. Higgins won that one 13:12. It shows how evenly matched they are.

But looking at the overall H2H , Selby's leading 15:11. And 9:5 in the "real matches" (no Premier League, Championship League involved).

So what do you think?

Re: prime Higgins vs prime Selby

Postby Johnny Bravo

In order to find out, we must break their gameplay apart and see how they fare:

1. Potting - pretty even
2. Long potting - neither is world class in this department. In fact, I'd go to say this is the Achile's heel for both of them.
3. Breakbuilding - advantage Higgins due to his superior cueball control
4. Safety play - both are world class in this department and pretty evenly matched.
5. Tactical play - again pretty evenly matched.
6. Laying snookers - pretty even
7. Escaping snookers - advantage Selbo
8. Mental strength - even yet again - they are the 2 best ever in this department and superior to Hendry.
9. Ability to come back from behind in a match - advantage Selbo
10. Ability to make a frame winning clearence from behind - advantage Higgo.

Conclusion: although they are pretty even, Higgo gets the nod due to being a slightly superior scorer

Re: prime Higgins vs prime Selby

Postby Ash147

John Higgins, by a mile. Peak Higgins is the only player I’ve seen that has been able to stop peak Ronnie.

Re: prime Higgins vs prime Selby

Postby Andre147

Higgins wins it for me.

He can sustain his peak level for longer than Selby, and that is decisive in their matches.

However, if both are off form, Selby's B game is superior to Higgins.

Re: prime Higgins vs prime Selby

Postby Wildey

Ash147 wrote:John Higgins, by a mile. Peak Higgins is the only player I’ve seen that has been able to stop peak Ronnie.

Thats very wrong Hunter has done it Hendry has done it yea in a different way than Higgins but has stopped Ronnie and The sheer effort by Selby to come back against both Ronnie and Higgins in World finals is phenominal by anyone's standards

Re: prime Higgins vs prime Selby

Postby SnookerFan

If they played 100 tikes, they'd both win matches.

I have a feeling that Higgins would have a superior head to head though.

Re: prime Higgins vs prime Selby

Postby Pink Ball

I’ve often seen Sullivan playing very well and lose. I’ve never seen him at or near his very best and losing. Or even coming close to losing.

To answer the original question, peak Higgins would have a few frames to spare over a peak Selbo.

Re: prime Higgins vs prime Selby

Postby TheSaviour

Great match now on the cards.

And congratulations Matt Selt, at last a very, very, or even extremely deserving title winner! Certainly very glad it was particularly just Matt who made it. Truly a very interesting player!

And today we have a modern "classic"; Robbie vs Bazza. Well, a bit too one-sided results for the my likening to actually deserving that nomination. But a very usual match-up. Robbie usually ending up winning 6-3 or 6-2. Or 9-4.

But about prime Higgins vs prime Selby. Selby´s a bit more rampant break-builder, I would dare to state. Whereas John slightly better safety-player. I see it´s not that much anything technical, John´s just even more resilient and a patient player. Overally, a very even match-up. Can´t say either way it is.

Re: prime Higgins vs prime Selby

Postby Truth

sas6789 wrote:Higgins obviously, in fact how is this even a question? Prime Selby barley beat a well past prime Higgins in the 2017 world final


Selby might have been in his career prime in 2017, but he played nowhere near his best in that final. The 13-12 2009 quarter final is a far better example of both players near the top of their game.

Re: prime Higgins vs prime Selby

Postby Truth

SnookerFan wrote:If they played 100 tikes, they'd both win matches.


This.

At the very top of their games neither player would make many significant mistakes, so random factors such as kicks and flukes would have a huge influence on match outcomes.

Re: prime Higgins vs prime Selby

Postby Wildey

sas6789 wrote:Higgins obviously, in fact how is this even a question? Prime Selby barley beat a well past prime Higgins in the 2017 world final

Selby did not play close to his best in the 2017 final

Re: prime Higgins vs prime Selby

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:I'm surprised that this poll is so one-sided.

13-1 to Prime Higgins.

False lead.

Re: prime Higgins vs prime Selby

Postby TheRocket

15:1.

Didnt expect it to be that one sided when I started this poll. Even though I agree that prime Higgins is better I think the difference or gap is quite slim.

Re: prime Higgins vs prime Selby

Postby Dan-cat

TheRocket wrote:15:1.

Didnt expect it to be that one sided when I started this poll. Even though I agree that prime Higgins is better I think the difference or gap is quite slim.


Make that 16:1. Who voted Selby? <doh>

Re: prime Higgins vs prime Selby

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I haven't voted yet. Shall I vote Selby, just to make the poll a bit closer?


Yes, but you'll have to change your name because no true snookerfan would vote for Selby.


That's not nice to whoever did vote Selby.

Re: prime Higgins vs prime Selby

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Dan-cat wrote:
TheRocket wrote:15:1.

Didnt expect it to be that one sided when I started this poll. Even though I agree that prime Higgins is better I think the difference or gap is quite slim.


Make that 16:1. Who voted Selby? <doh>

I don't think I voted but wouldn't swear to that.

I would definitely have considered it a tough one to answer, and as Rocket said there is not much between them at their peak. I don't think Selby would be a stupid answer. So, it could have been me...

Like most polls of this type, you can argue both ways but never get a meaningful answer. I guess the debate is the point of it.

Selby is quite unpopular I think but that should not be confused with how good he is. At his best he is one of the true greats of the game. Higgins of course fits the category of greats as well.

Re: prime Higgins vs prime Selby

Postby Truth

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:
TheRocket wrote:15:1.

Didnt expect it to be that one sided when I started this poll. Even though I agree that prime Higgins is better I think the difference or gap is quite slim.


Make that 16:1. Who voted Selby? <doh>

I don't think I voted but wouldn't swear to that.

I would definitely have considered it a tough one to answer, and as Rocket said there is not much between them at their peak. I don't think Selby would be a stupid answer. So, it could have been me...

Like most polls of this type, you can argue both ways but never get a meaningful answer. I guess the debate is the point of it.

Selby is quite unpopular I think but that should not be confused with how good he is. At his best he is one of the true greats of the game. Higgins of course fits the category of greats as well.


Yep, It's probably those Selby haters. I wouldn't trust prime Selby to win a poll against prime Les Dodd, and no I'm not the one that cast the solitary Selby vote. :p

Re: prime Higgins vs prime Selby

Postby Iranu

I think it's because most people agree that Higgins would slightly edge Selby, which makes the poll look more one sided than people's opinions actually are.

Re: prime Higgins vs prime Selby

Postby Badsnookerplayer

SnookerFan wrote:How can you not tell whether you've voted or not?

Do you have the ability to vote? If so you haven't.

Sorry I did not know that but it is clearly very obvious from what you say. Sorry.

Thank you.

Re: prime Higgins vs prime Selby

Postby Pink Ball

Dan-cat wrote:
TheRocket wrote:15:1.

Didnt expect it to be that one sided when I started this poll. Even though I agree that prime Higgins is better I think the difference or gap is quite slim.


Make that 16:1. Who voted Selby? <doh>

Coland must be here in spirit.