Post a reply

Will Ronnie O’Sullivan win another World Championship?

Yes
31%
No
69%

Total votes : 36

Re: Will Ronnie O’Sullivan win another World Championship?

Postby TheRocket

Ronnie O'Sulluvan suffered four first round defeats at the Crucible. The first in 1993 when he was a debutant.

Then he lost in 2000 and 2003. On both occasions he went on to win the World title the next year.

Will 2020 now be the moment? I want to believe in the Snookergods. This man cant be stuck on 5 world titles for ever.

Postby mantorok

TheRocket wrote:Will 2020 now be the moment? I want to believe in the Snookergods. This man cant be stuck on 5 world titles for ever.

He showed petulance this year, he's also said numerous times he doesn't enjoy the WC and the pressure it brings.

He also said he would like to win a world title in his 40s, this is still possible with a bit of positive attitude and a kinder draw.

Who knows what's going on his mind?

Postby Chalk McHugh

mantorok wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Will 2020 now be the moment? I want to believe in the Snookergods. This man cant be stuck on 5 world titles for ever.

He showed petulance this year, he's also said numerous times he doesn't enjoy the WC and the pressure it brings.

He also said he would like to win a world title in his 40s, this is still possible with a bit of positive attitude and a kinder draw.

Kinder draw? That ship has sailed.

Postby Dan-cat

TheRocket wrote:Ronnie O'Sulluvan suffered four first round defeats at the Crucible. The first in 1993 when he was a debutant.

Then he lost in 2000 and 2003. On both occasions he went on to win the World title the next year.

Will 2020 now be the moment? I want to believe in the Snookergods. This man cant be stuck on 5 world titles for ever.

I like this pattern!

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:
Ash147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Here's me, just hanging out being myself.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5fkne3ATWlk

I honestly used to think that was you. rofl

You promised me a fun trip. :wild:

Hahaha that clip is ace. You’re a great actor SF!

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Ash147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Here's me, just hanging out being myself.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5fkne3ATWlk

I honestly used to think that was you. rofl

You promised me a fun trip. :wild:

Hahaha that clip is ace. You’re a great actor SF!

That bloke was a method actor, who acted like a grumpy paraplegic with borderline personality disorder the whole time of filming.

The rest of the cast weren't happy with it.

Postby Chalk McHugh

Ash147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
The_Abbott wrote:I got more chance of winning the WC then Ronnie winning another title and I never enter it. Barry should give me an invitational tour card.

Than.

Grammar Nazi.

They are out in force Ash haha. Call the Cops!

Postby Andre147

mantorok wrote:

Honestly dont think the draw has anything to do with it.

If he truly wants it and his head is in the right place, he can cope with whoever is presented to him. Just needs to be hungry for it and above all not put too much pressure on himself.

Postby Ash147

Andre147 wrote:
mantorok wrote:

If he truly wants it and his head is in the right place, he can cope with whoever is presented to him. Just needs to be hungry for it and above all not put too much pressure on himself.

I think the draw is irrelevant too. He’s proven many times that he can beat the top players at the World Championship. His toughest draw in recent times was 2012, where he had Ebdon, Williams, Robertson, Stevens and Carter. He won all of his matches comfortably, the only player who got remotely close to him was Robertson that year.

Ronnie has also proved that he’s still able to beat the top players consistently outside of the World Championship, just look at the last two seasons.

The reason he struggles with the World Championship has nothing to do with the draw, and everything to do with his mental block after the defeat in 2014.

Postby mantorok

Andre147 wrote:
mantorok wrote:

I'm not saying the draw is a requirement. What I'm saying is that with his current mindset the only way he will win is if the route doesn't force him to work too hard.

If he wanted it yes I agree the draw is irrelevant.

Postby Ash147

mantorok wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
mantorok wrote:

I'm not saying the draw is a requirement. What I'm saying is that with his current mindset the only way he will win is if the route doesn't force him to work too hard.

His route this year didn’t force him to work too hard. All he had to do was play his C game, and he’d have beaten Cahill comfortably. Instead he looked like he couldn’t be bothered at all, and all but threw the match.

Postby Cloud Strife

Ash147 wrote:
mantorok wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
mantorok wrote:

His route this year didn’t force him to work too hard. All he had to do was play his C game, and he’d have beaten Cahill comfortably. Instead he looked like he couldn’t be bothered at all, and all but threw the match.

I agree. The draw has nothing to do with it. I mean he got drawn against an amateur this year, how much more easier does he need it?

Since 2014, he's lost to Bingham, Hawkins, Ding and Carter. These are players he normally wipes the floor with. The draw is most definitely not the issue here.

Postby mantorok

Ash147 wrote:
mantorok wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
mantorok wrote:

Cahill took his chances and didn't bend over. Ronnie got frustrated and threw the baby out with the bath water.

The draw clearly wasn't easy enough for him.

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:
That bloke was a method actor, who acted like a grumpy paraplegic with borderline personality disorder the whole time of filming.

Is this true?? Hahahaha I love this guy if it is. Got wheeled around for weeks being grumpy!! Way to troll an entire movie production. Brilliant!!

Manty - great pic. <cool>

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Is this true?? Hahahaha I love this guy if it is. Got wheeled around for weeks being grumpy!! Way to troll an entire movie production. Brilliant!!

Manty - great pic. <cool>

Gunnar Hansen said that, during filming, he didn't get along with Paul A. Partain, who played Franklin. A few years later he met Partain again and realized that Partain, a method actor, had simply chosen to stay in character even when not filming. The two remained good friends up to Partain's death.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0072271/triv ... tt_trv_trv

Postby Ronnie79

Ash147 wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
mantorok wrote:

I think the draw is irrelevant too. He’s proven many times that he can beat the top players at the World Championship. His toughest draw in recent times was 2012, where he had Ebdon, Williams, Robertson, Stevens and Carter. He won all of his matches comfortably, the only player who got remotely close to him was Robertson that year.

Ronnie has also proved that he’s still able to beat the top players consistently outside of the World Championship, just look at the last two seasons.

The reason he struggles with the World Championship has nothing to do with the draw, and everything to do with his mental block after the defeat in 2014.

Ash why do you keep going on about the 2014 final, that is nonsense. Davis lost worst finals in 85 and 86 and won world titles again. cant blame one match. ronnie is a top player just allowing the pressure of winning 7 is getting to him.

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:[quote="Dan-cat]

Manty - great pic. <cool>[/quote]

Gunnar Hansen said that, during filming, he didn't get along with Paul A. Partain, who played Franklin. A few years later he met Partain again and realized that Partain, a method actor, had simply chosen to stay in character even when not filming. The two remained good friends up to Partain's death.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0072271/triv ... tt_trv_trv[/quote]

Ok that is the best story i’ve heard for a long time thank u Sf!

Postby vodkadiet1

I don't think it is entirely coincidental that O'Sullivan's form at The Crucible since throwing away a 10-5 lead against an exhausted and drained Selby in the 2014 final has been abject by his standards. He hadn't lost a Crucible final prior to that. He had lost 5 semi finals but that isn't as damaging psychologically.

You could still sense the hurt of the 2014 final defeat when said a couple of weeks ago "I would rather lose in the first round than get all the way to the final and lose".

He hasn't been to the one table set up since the 2014 loss and maybe that is related to that hammer blow of a loss. In addition, the pressure of trying to match Hendry's record probably weighs on him too much for him to deal with. This makes you wonder why Steve Peters is still in his corner?

Postby Holden Chinaski

I don't think how Ronnie's mind works is comparable to how other players' minds work. Stuff like this or that final got to him is b*llshit to me.

I think he just lacks the mental power to deal with all the hassle that comes with the World Championship. I think winning it in 2012 and then in 2013 after having a year off was such a climax for him, I think he lost the real will to win anymore.

When Judd beat Ronnie at the Masters, some people were saying Ronnie couldn't beat Judd anymore because Judd broke him at The Masters. Then Ronnie beat him at the Tour Championship...

Ronnie needs to take a year off again, come back and win the Worlds, then retire and just play exhibitions. I can see him do that.