Post a reply

How many more Triple Crowns will Ronnie win?

13%
7%
No votes
20%
20%
7%
7%
7%
No votes
No votes
10+
20%

Total votes : 15

Re: How many more Triple Crowns will Ronnie win?

Postby D4P

There’s an interesting pattern in Ronnie’s career relating to Triple Crown events that is probably not completely random.

As we know, Ronnie has won 19 TCs spread across 18 different seasons. This means that he has won more than 1 TC in a single season only once in his career. Ronnie has said in interviews many times that he is not “greedy” and is content to win a few events each year, rather than trying to win every single event on the calendar.

In each of the past 6 seasons, Ronnie won either the UK or the Masters, meaning that by the time he reached the WC, he had already won a TC in that season. As we know, we didn’t win any of those WCs, and in many cases, he crashed out (seemingly) much earlier than he “should have”.

But in the 5 seasons that Ronnie did win the WC, there was only 1 in which he had already won the UK or Masters. Each of the past 2 times that Ronnie won the WC, he hadn’t already won a TC in that season.

All of which leaves me to wonder: Does Ronnie try harder to win the WC in seasons when he has not already won a TC, and does winning the UK/Masters make Ronnie feel like he doesn’t need/want to try hard at the WC because he has already “met his TC quota” for the season? Put another way, would he have a better chance of winning the WC if he hadn't won the UK/Masters, and does winning the UK/Masters (probably) decrease his chances of winning the WC?

Postby vodkadiet1

This term 'triple crown' events was coined by the BBC to give the events that they cover more credibility and at the same time reduce in importance all the non BBC events. There is no 'triple crown' in snooker. The World Championship stands alone.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

vodkadiet1 wrote:This term 'triple crown' events was coined by the BBC to give the events that they cover more credibility and at the same time reduce in importance all the non BBC events. There is no 'triple crown' in snooker. The World Championship stands alone.

Tend to agree.

The World Championship is unique and in terms of prestige nothing really comes close.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:This term 'triple crown' events was coined by the BBC to give the events that they cover more credibility and at the same time reduce in importance all the non BBC events. There is no 'triple crown' in snooker. The World Championship stands alone.

Tend to agree.

The World Championship is unique and in terms of prestige nothing really comes close.

Wimblendon is also more prestigious than the US Open or the Australian, but that doesn't mean the last are not grand slams as well.
I agree with u guys that in the past few years there have appeared a few more events that probably have better format and even more prize money than the Masters and the UK, but they lack the history and prestige these 2 have.

As for the topic of this thread, I think ROS will win another 3 or 4, no more than that. And that is due to his age.
I'd love one of those to be a WC, but I highly doubt it. If he couldn't even beat an amateur in the first round, how can he ever hope to win it again. :sad:

Postby TheRocket

Johnny Bravo wrote:
As for the topic of this thread, I think ROS will win another 3 or 4, no more than that. And that is due to his age.
I'd love one of those to be a WC, but I highly doubt it. If he couldn't even beat an amateur in the first round, how can he ever hope to win it again. :sad:

We could see a completely different Ronnie O'Sullivan the next year. Its about being in the right mental state and peaking at the right time.

I still think and hope he has one more golden moment by finally winning his sixth World title.