Post a reply

How many events will Ronnie play this season?

Roughly the same number as he played last season
86%
Just the Shanghai Masters and 3-4 other "low-key events"
7%
Just the Shanghai Masters
No votes
None
7%

Total votes : 14

Re: How many events will Ronnie play this season?

Postby D4P

Andre147 wrote:As far as I'm aware it's completly on the sponsors side. If they want a big household name like Ronnie in their event they get in contact with his manager and then the player decides if he wants to compete or not. I know this is one of the reasons he loves playing in Shanghai, and this year for the World Open it probably was the same.

Interesting. I'm sure Ronnie gets (offered) way more appearance money than any other player, and deservedly so.

I wonder if sponsors only bother paying appearance money to players who might not play in the event otherwise...?

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Cloud Strife wrote:I wonder if tournaments will start paying Judd appearance fees in the future to ensure he plays in their events. I somehow doubt it.

Judd tends to earn money by doing well in competitions like the Worlds Championships.

I believe it pays better and has way more class than some grubby envelope passing hands between a small-town businessman and a once great sporting has-been. Bit sad to see really.

Postby Dan-cat

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:I wonder if tournaments will start paying Judd appearance fees in the future to ensure he plays in their events. I somehow doubt it.

Judd tends to earn money by doing well in competitions like the Worlds Championships.

I believe it pays better and has way more class than some grubby envelope passing hands between a small-town businessman and a once great sporting has-been. Bit sad to see really.

What a strangely bitter and uninformed comment from you. Sport is a business. It's the same in tennis. Hardly Ronnie's fault that he fills the venues, creates more buzz when he's in the countries. It's simply a marketing spend.

https://www.tennisworldusa.org/tennis/n ... ance-fees/

Postby Iranu

Badsnookerplayer wrote:

Bit harsh, BSP.

I’m sure the envelopes are in decent condition.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Iranu wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:

Bit harsh, BSP.

I’m sure the envelopes are in decent condition.

rofl

Dan-Cat - it was supposed to be somewhat tongue in cheek and frivoulous response to Cloud's comment.

Never mind...

Postby Cloud Strife

My comment about the appearance fees was tongue in cheek too, thought that would have been pretty obvious to all and sundry, so I was quite surprised by BSP's lengthy rant in reply.

Postby D4P

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Judd tends to earn money by doing well in competitions like the Worlds Championships.

I'm not sure that winning one World Championship constitutes a "tendency"...

Postby Badsnookerplayer

D4P wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:Judd tends to earn money by doing well in competitions like the Worlds Championships.

I'm not sure that winning one World Championship constitutes a "tendency"...

If you had read the post carefully then you would have noticed the word 'like' as in 'simliar to' or 'not completely different from'. For example, the Masters could be considered 'like' the World Championship as it is a well regarded snooker tournament.

I sometimes despair at having to explain my posts to some people. This forum really is lucky to have me.

Postby D4P

Badsnookerplayer wrote:If you had read the post carefully then you would have noticed the word 'like' as in 'simliar to'

I read that post carefully, and was left wondering what the word "simliar" means...

Postby Badsnookerplayer

D4P wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:If you had read the post carefully then you would have noticed the word 'like' as in 'simliar to'

I read that post carefully, and was left wondering what the word "simliar" means...

Well I was testing and you have met the minimum standard.

Postby D4P

Ronnie just tweeted the following, in response to a question about whether he will play the UK and Masters this season:

I can’t promise anything with my schedule.. a lot of it comes down to priority’s, and managing my career the best way for me..

Postby SnookerFan

D4P wrote:Ronnie just tweeted the following, in response to a question about whether he will play the UK and Masters this season:

I can’t promise anything with my schedule.. a lot of it comes down to priority’s, and managing my career the best way for me..

:zzz:

Postby TheRocket

D4P wrote:Ronnie just tweeted the following, in response to a question about whether he will play the UK and Masters this season:

There's no way he aint gonna play the UK or Masters. He even bothered to travel to China to play the Shanghai Masters. I don't think his schedule will look much different than last years.

Assuming he'll qualify for the Players and Tour Championship obviously.