Post a reply

Help. Practice partner doing my head in

Postby Alexaryan

Hey. My practice partner and I are of very similar skill levels but lately he is doing my flipping nut in.
I have been putting in the hours and are getting better and started winning more often, so he has reverted (back to) moving in my eye line after I've started making a break of two or more balls. I have refereed in the leagues so I naturally and respectfully stand out of his way but I only get that when I'm playing rubbish. I live in a very small town and the only other guy who wishes to play me (who stands still) is awful and I always end up wiping the floor with him, which A-I don't like to do and B-flat no competition to measure myself against... What do I flipping do??? I just can't concentrate on my shots and so miss and wrapping my new cute around his head wouldn't help next time I wanna play. How do pool players focus in a pub with people walking around? Maybe if I could learn that somehow??? Thanks

Re: Help. Practice partner doing my head in

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Great first post and welcome to the forum.

You got to blank out everything except the object ball and beat this mofo. Learn to love the distraction and make it your friend.

Failing that, wrap your cue round his head.

One technique I have heard of is to forcibly place the triangle over your opponents head and hang it from one of the rest hooks so that their head is trapped under the baulk (or top) cushion. You are then in a superb position to mete out punishment as you see fit ranging from the humiliation of 'chalking' their nose to the full Ray Winstone 'snooker balls in your sock' battering.

Either way, enjoy yourself.

Postby Ash147

I think it's something that you should learn to get used to. I've been playing pool for several years now, and everywhere I've played there have always been distractions. Things like people being obnoxiously loud, or the pool hall not having enough space between tables, so much so that you end up jamming your cue into someone's lower back when you're on your back swing.

I think you should familiarise yourself with these sort of environments, and it will help improve your concentration and focus.

Postby Alexaryan

Hahaha. Can't slap him, not in my nature. Thanks ash but like I say it only begins when I'm winning. Its perhaps the disrespect of standing still in my shots when I'm playing badly, but then when I'm on a good break then starting up. I've played in pool Leagues and when it happens all game you so kinda get used to it. I guess I'm struggling Coz I show respect - my coach taught me to look down if I'm sat behind green or yellow and look back up when I hear the balls crack - and are maybe just expecting it back.

Postby Alexaryan

Pink Ball wrote:Tell him to stand still.

Thank you, already have. He now uses it as an excuse to 'move away' from my shot, making it like he's doing me a favour, p pandering to my whim, and always does it - yes you guessed it - as I'm pausing to strike!

Postby Alexaryan

Hahaha may just have to do that. But seriously hearing myself back just writing this, I think I'm being mugged off and may just say I'm busy arnhem he wants to play/parakeet then opt to coach the other respectful player till he can challenge me, win win

Postby Ash147

No one wants to play with a parakeet, and I think you have every right to tell him how you feel about it. If he has to resort to stupid gamesmanship in order to win, then he's obviously not confident in his ability to beat you fairly.

Postby Alexaryan

That's the problem, I already have. I guess if I just blag that I'm busy for next few weeks he will get the message. I guess I'm just smarting to have lost 1-2 this week on a black ball re-spot this week. All I needed was an easy pink and he went and danced the macarena behind it and both blacks so I missed. Thinking back I should've just done a Ronnie and refused to pot the last black as 'it ain't worf it mate!'

Postby Cloud Strife

Alexaryan wrote:Hahahaha, please explain tho... I get the funny badass thing but why have I got a nonce at his computer too???

That's Ash147. It's a photo of him in his mum's basement.

Postby Ash147

Cloud Strife wrote:
Alexaryan wrote:Hahahaha, please explain tho... I get the funny badass thing but why have I got a nonce at his computer too???

That's Ash147. It's a photo of him in his mum's basement.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Dan-cat wrote:Well you could try taking him out for a pint and having a gentle word.

It's tough though... Losing to someone regularly when you used to be even hurts. So be kind.

Snookerfan's plan followed by yours seems best to me.

Postby Cloud Strife

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Well you could try taking him out for a pint and having a gentle word.

It's tough though... Losing to someone regularly when you used to be even hurts. So be kind.

Snookerfan's plan followed by yours seems best to me.

Personally, I'd prefer to send the heavies around to sort him out. Ash147 sounds like he'd be up for the job.

Postby Alexaryan

Not in my nature.

I wish I could just spend the next session putting him off in a kind of 'dose of your own medicine pal' type way but I grew up looking up to fair players who call fouls on themselves - Ronnie, Jimmy, shaun Murphy another who never let's himself off, and for me that's part of what makes this the best sport on the planet. Despite high stakes money our heroes call a foul that a ref can't always hear our see.! (ie push shot felt thru the cute, even when it don't sound like one)

No I'm gonna try to concentrate harder on each and every shot.

Guys what is every time he does it, I just get up out of the shot and reset myself???? If I have to do it ten times a shot he might get why

Postby rekoons

Alexaryan wrote:Not in my nature.
Guys what is every time he does it, I just get up out of the shot and reset myself???? If I have to do it ten times a shot he might get why

I think this is your best option. at least if you reset and still miss the pot, you know you gave the shot everything and you just plain missed because of you, and not because of distraction.

I've also got a practice partner who tends to move towards the pocket presumably to pick up the potted colour ball while I'm on the shot. I do however think he does it unintentionally and doesn't mean to distract me. perhaps I should tell him but I don't wanna come over as a tight ass ...

Postby Alexaryan

Wait till you miss an easy black off the spot for your highest ever break, then trust me you'll be saying something.
I know it can be genuine also tho. There's a good pro called Rob milkins and he used to upset alot of opponents initially, until he got diagnosed with a nervous fidget they all thought he was a parakeet when in fact he's a gent.

Mine only starts it when I'm on a good break or winning. When I'm playing badly he stands off like a good decent ref would.

Aaarrggghh

Postby rekoons

Alexaryan wrote:Wait till you miss an easy black off the spot for your highest ever break, then trust me you'll be saying something.

usually I miss an easy ball for a high break just because i'm doing my own head in thinking i'm on a good break... :-(

Alexaryan wrote:I know it can be genuine also tho. There's a good pro called Rob milkins and he used to upset alot of opponents initially, until he got diagnosed with a nervous fidget they all thought he was a parakeet when in fact he's a gent.

interesting, didn't knew that.